Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life in the fast lane

• 16-04-2008 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭

Being the fastest in the medium lane is horrible, All sorts wander into the medium lane, I'd work at creeping into the fast lane If I were you, try and get off the 1500m non-stop swim, It's good exercise, but its not going to develop your swimming much, You'd be much better off swimming 8x 200m and varying your pace, incorporating some leg isolation work and a sprint or two into your set. I'm not telling you how to swim, but it would be more productive for your own development without reducing or increasing your overall exercise level drastically. It'll definitely help you keep up in the fast lane a little better.

Out of curiosity, do you swim down at the end of your set ?
    If not, its a must. After 1500m, muscles are tired and stroke technique suffers as a result, so unless you take a little extra time towards the end, let the pace drop a little, and focus solely on technique, you will end up never rectifying the small mistakes that only emerge when your tired.
    Just some food for thought....

The above is taken from the lane etiquette thread as I didn't want to stray off topic in there. You can probably tell I'm big into etiquette :D

Thanks for the post AngryHippie.

I'm just swimming for fitness and to wind down after work (stressful desk job!) but the idea of training up to the fast lane just for the sake of my own comfort is appealing.

To answer the swim down question, I always do a few laps after a short rest, taking my time & trying to minimise the stroke count per length. But it's mostly to ensure I don't get dizzy getting out of the pool straight after a mile of laps.

I did 8x200 yesterday but realised after starting I didn't really have any plan so just alternated between fast & slow (mostly crawl with some breaststroke). How long should I be resting between sets?

I found after 8x200 I still had loads of energy left and ended up doing well over 2K. Or maybe it was just that the change of routine kept me more interested?

Advertisement