Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best DIY teeth whitening kit?

• 16-04-2008 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a teeth whitening kit to see how well it will work on my teeth. If it does not work well I will be going to a professional.

Has anyone ever had any experience with these kits? Whats the best one out there and why?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not being smart but do a quick search for threads which covered this

Most of them recommended Crest Whitening Strips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

180px-TippexOldStyleBottle.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yes Crest strips are good... So's tip ex though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

your best bet is to the but them in the states. the law over here regulates the strengh of teeth whitening products.
    if you buy the crest whitening strips in the states, approx 30$, it will be of a similiar strength to what the dentists use professionally over here!

happy smiling!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sue denim

Has anyone ever bought and used the product from www.teethwhitening.ie??

The website doesn't give a lot away, and also the FAQ section is a dead link. I don't quite know what to make of it, am I just paranoid?

If I am paranoid and it is a genuine site, is the product worth buying?

Thanks, sparkly-toothed people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 janeyxox

yea crest strip s jst fin usin them, got them in america, but u can get on ebay. they def woth tryin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Yeah crest whitening strips from the USA are the best by far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

sue denim wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought and used the product from www.teethwhitening.ie??

The website doesn't give a lot away, and also the FAQ section is a dead link. I don't quite know what to make of it, am I just paranoid?

If I am paranoid and it is a genuine site, is the product worth buying?

Thanks, sparkly-toothed people!

wouldnt trust it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

wouldnt trust it either tbh!

I got crest whitening strips from ebay - came up to 30euro altogether for the premium ones...they are brillaint!!! Teeth look great (so so people tell me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Crest Whitening Strips you say? I'm in! Must give it a shot..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

The majority of tooth whitening solutions are based on a type of bleach that although bleaches your teeth whiter in the short run, it makes your teeth go yellower than before in the long run. Best option is toothpaste with whitening solution, I know it takes ages but if you brush your teeth right for about 6 months, you will have whiter teeth, I did and it worked for me.
    Some toothpastes focus on fresh breath, some healthy gum and some tooth whitening. Sensodyne and colgate are the best, plus colgate have these new packs that are supposedly the same as what dentisits use. Saw it in tescos on sunday, you use it once a week and it works slowly, which is promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

I am also on the look out for a teeth white kit for home use.
    I have heard quite a few good reviews for this type of treatmant, beats paying 350 when you can get it for 50 euro and do he same job.
    Was also looking at teethwhitening.ie and was conerned that the work wasnt put into the website so I can just imajine what the product and afer sales is like, teried to get in touch with the compay to get the name of the product , byr he wasn forthcoming with the name of the product so I will leave well enough alone, I am still on the lok out for a kit so If any1 hears of a good one , can they let me know, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I posted this on SpinalTaps thread before I saw this one...

I've used most types of kit on and off over the years but the only one that has made a lasting difference and wasn't the world's biggest pain in the ass to use is Crest Whitestrips. They come in an intensive 7-day pack or a slightly weaker 14-day pack. Go with the 14-day pack if you have sensititve teeth at all. The 7-day strips are intended to be used twice a day but I found they made my teeth and gums so sensitive I had to go down to once a day (not that this affects the performance, it just takes longer). It can get pretty sore but what kept me going was the fact that I knew it was only for a week and thus worth it to me, and that people were commenting on my white teeth from the second day!

I'm actually going to get a second pack now. I bought them on ebay for £17 and they arrived the next day. While one pack has made a huge difference- more than I ever thought it would based on previous experience of whitening kits, my teeth were quite badly stained from coffee and you are advised that some people may need two kits to get really white. I don't think I'll need to use the whole kit though, just a few more days should be fine. The rest can then be kept for a quick top-up every few months.

The sort of selling point for Crest Whitestrips is that they are the only whitening kit developed with the aid of dentists and use exactly the same stuff, in the same concentrations, that dentists use themselves. The plastic strips come coated in the right amount of product, you peel them off, stick them onto your front teeth and fold the edge under, then leave for half an hour. It's so much easier than the dental tray kits you can get with the 3 or so different products you need to use, as well as having a lasting effect in a short space of time.

I was sceptical of these before buying but my teeth staining had really been affecting my confidence and it was a last attempt at home kits before considering professional work. They were amazing and definitely the best I've ever used. They are a bit more awkward to use though than they claim, but again I put up with this because of how great the effects were from the start and because its a short programme. What I have learned is:

1. They say you can talk with them in. You can't. They slide around too much and you end up swallowing loads of the bleach.
    2. They will feel like they're coming off in your mouth. They're probably not, however the folded under bit rarely stays that way. It will unfold and you will end up swallowing the bleach from it. As long as the whole thing stays on I wouldn't worry about trying to fix it as it will just dislodge it more.
    3. Do not brush your teeth less than an hour before using. It will hurt when you put the strips on. Do not brush your teeth immediately after using as your gums will be sensitive from the bleach and may bleed.
    4. Don't use an upper and a lower strip at the same time. They stick together and pull each other off your teeth.

Once your teeth are white enough you should use whitening toothpaste or whitening pens to maintain the effect, especially if you're a big coffee/red wine drinker. While these are useless on badly stained teeth they should be ok as a preventative measure.

Seriously, for £17 you can't go wrong! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Baking Soda. Tastes like shít but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Baking Soda. Tastes like shít but it does the job.

this is true. If you mix it with lemon juice and scrub your teeth with it ot does the job.

blanx toothpaste is brilliant stiff too I have been using it a while and its made a big difference.

Im going to give the crest strips a go theres been fantastic reviews on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Baking soda?....did you do it or is it another urban myth? =P

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

its not a myth sure it sthe main ingredient to a lot of whiteening toothpastes!
    I use it I mix it with lemon juice and scrub on my teeth with a face cloth tastes rotten but its great for getting the stains off! My granny showed me she always did that with my teeth as a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Another one I heard recently but haven't tried so can't guarantee it - swishing sunflower or sesame seed oil in your mouth for a few mins. Keep planning to try it out but have to decide whether I could stomach it..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scatman

BJC wrote: »
    Sensodyne and colgate are the best, plus colgate have these new packs that are supposedly the same as what dentisits use. Saw it in tescos on sunday, you use it once a week and it works slowly, which is promising.

me and my sister been using this colgate once a week thing
    its good
    but a slow process

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

I'd go with the cheaper option (tipp-ex)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

Hi all , I was looking for a home teeth whitening kit for ages and have tried several but to no avail.
    I eventually came accross a product that I didnt think was available over here called dental white.
    I have been using it on my top teeth for over a week and I cant believe the differance it has made to them, I would say a conservtive guess would be 5 shades whiter, it says to use the dental white for 3 weeks every day, I have done so for a week and see a huge digferance , my only worry now is that my bottom teeth look yellow in comparison and I have now started on the botom stained teeth.
    I bought it from www.dentalwhite.ie who say they are the sole agents for this product in Ireland.
    I have to say I recieved the kit which consisted of a syringe a tube of 150 g gel full instructions and two mouth shields, its easy to use as well and I would say it will last the year as they suggest using it along side your general tooth paste wen your happy with your new smile.
    Jst thought I would share my news, can smile again without covering stained yellow teeth, wayooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

if you think they are that good you should start to buy from http://www.smile4you.co.uk/ way cheaper then what dentalwhite.ie charge

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Zombie thread must die.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement