Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering buying in Dublin......areas to avoid?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm considering buying in Dublin and have noticed alot of places for sale around St. James Hospital area, etc..........anyone got anything to say on this area (or the names of places to avoid) - I don't know Dublin and don't particularly trust estate agents...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd avoid buying a house any where in the world before December 21st 2012 ....enjoy your spare cash......you mighten need it in a few years......the world is going through a troubled time....don't lock yourself down with a mortage just yet.....

that's my plan anyway.....;)

the fact they could drop another 30% also has me rattled....

http://www.december212012.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've seen that Mayan crap on TV before, just because one cultures calendar runs out dont mean its doom for us all! :)

Agree i wouldnt buy now but if you really want to buy, negotiate a lower price. Some people here on boards live around that part of D8, they could give you pointers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I suppose whereabouts you're talking about, the South Circular Rd side of the Hospital is grand. Whereas the James St area would be a more rougher on the edges.

Give me a few street names you're considering and I'll give you better judgement.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

up around that proposed place Herberton.....

The area isn't the worst, but well you have Fatima and Rialto and the Luas tracks on front of you. I wouldn't say not to buy there, it's a nice area has everything up and around there. Just the road that separtes Herberton and the Luas track can be a bit dodgy sometimes after say about 9 or 10.

• Advertisement

great stuff - thanks - if I spot somewhere else, I might post the area here and can I get opinions.............

Yup if it's Dublin 8 or Dublin 6 I'll be your man to help.:

are those ok areas? Also, are there direct bus routes to Belfield?

cjmcork wrote: »
    are those ok areas? Also, are there direct bus routes to Belfield?

Yup, Dublin 8 is becoming very attractive to first-time young buyers.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?placeName=Belfield%20(U.C.D.)

how are places like:

bolton street, james street and south circular road?

• Advertisement

Not sure on Bolton St, but be more precise on the other two roads as I only live off South Circular and basically 5 mins from James St.

here:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/brochure/21--phoenix-view-kilmainham-dublin-co.&-city/VCAHU320890

here: Apartment 7 466, South Circular Road, Dublin 8, South Dublin City -
    Apartment For Sale

here: 17 The Court, Bolton Street, Dublin 1,

I have a house in Cork so the budget for property in Dublin is limited.

Well the two near James Hospital are in a grand area to be honest. For example I've often walked from Heuston Station, up to James St and then down to Meath St and through Pimlico on my own at around 1 or 2 in the morning and there is usually never a sinner around with the exception of the people in the two bars on James St, The Tram and the the other one a few doors down.

Although around Phoenix View could start getting full of junkies as there is a new hostal type place a few doors down from it which is finished but yet to open.

thanks for that - I'd ideally like somewhere that has other professionals living there - and not loads of bloody kids.........do you reckon these types of places are ok? I might put up other potentials as they come up if that's ok?

If you're going for professional, have a look for Cork St, Dublin 8.

Do you mean the apartments complexs don't have kids in them or in general the area?

Yup if they're in Dublin 8 or 6 I'll be able to advise you.

preferably no kids on the planet, but not in the complex if possible!!!

Thanks - I'll have a look in that area - I need public transport to Belfield though......so that's important too

Right, how were you planning on getting from South Circular/James St to UCD?

haven't a clue - the 46a? is it too far?

Possibly have a look here http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?placeName=Belfield%20(U.C.D.) and then start your search again. If you were to get somewhere near the City Centre e.g. Cork St, then you could walk into College Green and then you have a good few buses you can get to UCD that are very relible (well in the past for me) until the 46a (for me in the past).

someone at work advised me against Cork Street, saying it was quite rough?

• Advertisement

Not at all, I live around the corner from it, the complexs are fine. You have about 5 bus routes into town, basically everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Cork Street is the new gaybourhood.

Can be dodgy passed 12pm on weekends with drunks coming out of town and random little scummers from the flats behind. Morrisey's pub is also dodgy as hell.

I can't tell really at this stage whether Cork st is a good reseller or not. Reason being, I think flats and apartments in this general area will eventually become the "new inner city" or new ballymun in the early 80's once the "credit crisis" kicks to the full.
    Reason being - no amenities.
    There has been a huge improvement on Cork street but I cant really say whether it will "take over" the area.

I would pick a small house in a place like Drimnagh - the Crumlin Road end or inchicore/ Crumlin itself.

I hate flats - they are all made of cardboard.

Unless you can get an old flat or an old stone built property thats been converted into flats, I wouldnt live in one of those new card board boxes.
    I wouldnt waste my time.

Around James hospital seems fine to me. There does seem to be a lot of immigrants housed round the area, but to be honest, it's not the immigrant areas that tend to be the trouble spots.

Buying in estates does have its positive sides IMO. For instance there are places in tallaght that you would not have touched with a barge pole due to the high concentration of teen lunatics all growing up at one time in the late nineties. Thing is they do grow up, and within a certain period of time the demographics of an estate tend to chill out as every kid reaches 20+.

bug thanks for this - these are the things I need to know really - I'm not wild about apartment living unless it's the top floor..............especially if they're all cardboard city.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

How about the kilmainham/inchicore area? there are loads of new apartment blocks in this area and some are very nice, the Chocolate factory etc. Good bus and luas links to town and James.

i've spotted a lovely apartment in inchicore, but again, I asked my Dublin-native colleague and she said it was too far from UCD (I'm thinking public transport links).........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

It would be a 2 bus journey I suppose. 20 to 30 minutes in town (during high traffic) and then whatever it takes from town out to UCD.

Inchicore had a bit of a bad rep for a long time but I think it's come on a lot in the last few years. (I've lived there for 14 months and love it!).

Advertisement