Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

firefox 3 beta 5

• 16-04-2008 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Anybody using it ? do you recommend installing it ?, will it overwrite my version 2 ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Jaysus, I was thinking of doing a thread about this last night.

I was thinking of installing it and trying it out, but I would like to know the the same things as yourself before doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it wont overwrite your installation if you put it somewhere else.

if you uninstall and then add FF3.5b to the same directory it will remember all of your addons history and settings. not all will be compatible of course but oh well.

the url bar is a bit... funkier... personaly i find it a little awkward.

and the save session feature is built in now when you close; not just an addon.

pages load much faster. especially boards; for which i let out an audible whistle at the loadspeed.

enjoys crashing when playing embedded videos still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭oneweb

It's a helluva lot faster, particularly with javascript stuff, for example the Aer Lingus calendar popup, and in general pages load in a snap :)

One thing that annoys me though is that it automatically uses your FF2 profile, so if you have some extensions that you like which aren't FF3 compatible, it could mess things up.

Another is the is-it-there-isn't-it-there Go button, a 'design feature'. I don't always want to reload a page and have form fields still filled, I want to load it as a new page. Luckily there's an extension to work around that.

The bookmarks system/places has a sh!tload of potential, it's already quite powerful. Hopefully the makers of Bookmark Duplicate Detector and other BM extensions can update them to make the most of FF3. I've already played with the SQLite db manager extension and love the power of running SQL queries on Places.

Downloaded files invoke a Windows style warning to open them, I'd much rather FF didn't try to look like and act like the host Operating System because after all, FF is DIFFERENT!

Let's hope a good few themes come out for FF3.

Oh and I wish I could use FF2 and FF3 at the same time (with different profiles, of course)

Just my 2c ;)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Was running it on Vista for a while but uninstalled it last night as it was a bit flakey on my rig. Wouldn't start about a third of the time but would run the firefox.exe process in the background. Aside from that I found it grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I'm using FF3beta5 all the time now. It's working fine. The only addon I'm missing is 'add bookmark here'.. there is an updated version of it but it's not working for me.
    One thing that annoys me though is that it automatically uses your FF2 profile, so if you have some extensions that you like which aren't FF3 compatible, it could mess things up.
    Yeah in hindsight I should've made a new profile when I installed FF3.

I was messing about with Minefield (firefox nightly build) last week and when I uninstalled it it asks do you want to keep personal settings. It says you might want them in case you ever install Minefield again. So I said no and it deleted my Firefox profile :/ Luckily I had backed up the profile folder a few weeks ago so I got most of my bookmarks and saved passwords back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

It's a lot faster alright. Really notice the difference. Also like the feature that allows you to add a bookmark from the address bar.
    Don't really like the new save password feature. Overall though prity good.

Advertisement