Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest rental in US

Options
  • 17-04-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

OK, the plan is to fly into boston and hire a car to drive to cape cod, spend a week there, then drive down to NY and drop the car off as we won't need it in the city.

Cheapest price i have so far is circa $140 from ebookers.ie, but it says they charge extra (payable on collection) for drivers <25 (I'm 21) and if there's not a full tank of gas left in it when its dropped off there'll be a filling charge. I'm presuming this is the norm, but just wondering if anyone knew any tricks to keep the price down. Not looking for anything illegal, just things like if drop-off at an airport is cheaper than drop-off downtown, or the best companies to go with. Holiday isnt till august, should i wait and just show up at the airport to get a car, or book beforehand to get the best deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

$140 sounds like a good price .Does it include all insurances.

I rented in Florida last year and used carhire3000 they came out alot cheaper than any of the main companies direct.I have also used uscarhire they were cheap aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Actually, i'm not sure if insurance is included. It says "additional liability insurance" is included, but also says "The car hire insurance is charged separately by Insurance4CarHire (For all destinations excluding USA and Canada)." Does that mean that because I'm going to USA that it is included, because thats what it sounds like.

Also it has something saying "1 way drop fee may be applied," which i was expecting, but you'd imagine they'd factor this into your quote...? Ah, maybe I'll wait till nearer the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

I used a UK based company the last time I was in Florida - they gave an all inclusive price for insurance and taxes etc. It might be even better now due to stg rates.

Anyway I think I have the site saved on my work PC, I'll check and post a link tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Here is the link to the website I used for car hire...

http://www.orlandovillas.com/car_hire.aspx

don't forget to click the link to NY or "Rest of US" car hire, because the above will open in the florida section.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

masseyno9 wrote: »
    OK, the plan is to fly into boston and hire a car to drive to cape cod, spend a week there, then drive down to NY and drop the car off as we won't need it in the city.

Cheapest price i have so far is circa $140 from ebookers.ie, but it says they charge extra (payable on collection) for drivers <25 (I'm 21) and if there's not a full tank of gas left in it when its dropped off there'll be a filling charge. I'm presuming this is the norm, but just wondering if anyone knew any tricks to keep the price down. Not looking for anything illegal, just things like if drop-off at an airport is cheaper than drop-off downtown, or the best companies to go with. Holiday isnt till august, should i wait and just show up at the airport to get a car, or book beforehand to get the best deal?

I think that quote is wrong, or is that you're daily rate? You want to hire a car in Boston MA and drop back to New York, the one way rental fee would be more then €140. They also charge extra at the rental place for >25, but that is on the hire car companies website. You'd also need CDW which is charged locally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I'd recommend dropping the car back at Boston if you're not planning to visit anything in between Boston and New York. If you're on a tight budget you can take a chinatown bus to NY for 15 dollars. The train is about 60 i think.

Priceline and Hotwire should give you your cheapest rates if you're using airport car rentals.
    You can drop the car back to Logan, take the silver line to south station and get either a bus or train to new york.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Yeah the ebookers quote was pretty basic, didn't include extra charges listed, and when i investigated it, these were pretty high. New plan is to get the car from Boston airport to have for the week we're in Cape Cod, then drop it back to Boston and get a train/bus.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement