Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ye olde disintegrating spud cakes

• 17-04-2008 12:33am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No matter what i do, potato cakes invariably fall apart while being fried gnelty and not prodded about on the pan. flour and egg doesnt hold them, flour alone doesnt hold them, egg alone defo doesnt hold them.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

What kind of recipe are you using, cos i dont use egg at all. my tip would be to put them on a high heat at first to brown on each side and then turn the heat down low to cook through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe you're adding milk when you mash the potatoes? Or the type of potato you're using isn't floury enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are you letting the mash cool down before mixing in the other ingredients? Also it's helpful after you've made the potato cakes to pop them in the fridge for a while before cooking them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

cold mash from yesterday, no milk. recipe seems to vary from one day of the week to the next.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I use yesterday's cold mash with a splash of milk and bit of flour. Makes a slightly stick goo. Put in hot pan with lots of butter. Tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

The potatoes must be hot and put lots of flour as much as the spud will take, if its not hot the mix wont bind, the mix must be dry enough to roll out in lots of flour to coat them and cook quick. The recipe depends on weather you make griddle cakes(cooked slow)or potato cakes(cooked quick).

dont forget salt and pepper.

Advertisement