Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching in Ireland & Religion

• 17-04-2008 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm starting the HDip in August and am really looking forward to the teaching and love my subjects. Only thing I am worried about the religious nature of schools in Ireland. I must say I can't stand the Catholic Church and would describe myself as a feminist. Is there a place for that type of teacher in Irish schools? I'm afraid that I will be required to change to pretending to be religious and conservative. Any experienced teachers out there who would be familiar with the day to day level of religion in schools? Any insight appreciated! Thanks. M.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'm not too sure where being a feminist fits into this business. In fact I'm not altogether sure what the term means these days.

As for not being able to stand the Catholic Church, assuming you are prepared to stand by your principles and not apply for jobs in schools run by religious orders this shouldn't be a problem either as the VEC sector is out there for the non-denominational education - except of course for narrowing your options a fair bit.

My instinct is that in reality in many schools the fact that they are nominally run by religious is neither here nor there for most teachers with most having lay principals at this stage. But if you are someone who has steam coming out their ears at the mere thought of it they are best avoided.

To be honest, I doubt if anyone will care whether you are "religious and conservative" as these are private matters which will become a problem only if you are bolshi about being neither.

I am sure if you are looking for conflict you will encounter it and to be honest judging from your post a softening in attitude and less of a tendency to label people (including yourself) and take them as you find them would be a good idea.

Schools will have seen thousands of 'radical' 22 year olds who hated the system and wanted to change the world come and go over the years so beware of being a walking label yourself as schools are pretty conservative environments by their nature whether overtly religious or not.

Also many forget that being a liberal should be about respecting all views rather than just hating a specific set of views which one has identified as unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

melbme wrote: »
    I'm starting the HDip in August and am really looking forward to the teaching and love my subjects. Only thing I am worried about the religious nature of schools in Ireland. I must say I can't stand the Catholic Church and would describe myself as a feminist. Is there a place for that type of teacher in Irish schools? I'm afraid that I will be required to change to pretending to be religious and conservative. Any experienced teachers out there who would be familiar with the day to day level of religion in schools? Any insight appreciated! Thanks. M.

My advice would be to keep your opinions to yourself until your made permanent. But that doesn't mean you have to completely neglect your principles or anything, just keep them hidden. At the end of the day the CC run a lot of schools and you have to abide by their rules if you work for the school. Beware as well, the principal will more than likely be very religious, so again just say nothing.

I think the OP is best to keep personal opinions out of these matters altogether rather than holding them back and lashing out on teh day of permanence. People are paid to do a job and not to join a debating society.

If the job is likely to impinge on deeply held principles then it should not be applied for in the first place. There are plenty of secular options. But I think a very good rule of thumb in any professional environment is to diasbuse oneself of the idea that you can change a work environment. It never happens not matter how impressed a person is with their own principles.

Selecting the right work environment in the first place is a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 melbme

Ok thanks to you both for your advice.

I'm totally fine with an "each to their own" approach and I certainly don't push my opinions on others. And I totally respect that young people are being guided through a specific set of Christian values that the school decides upon. It would not be my place to interfere with that.
    So as long as I can find a school that doesn't seek my involvement in religious matters then I will be happy. It has been a while since I was in school (I'm not 22!) and I'm out of touch with how modern school environments operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Are you primary or secondary?
    It's two different ball games in terms of denom schools at ecah level, but I doubt in either you'd be able to coast through without any sort of involvement.

In secondary you would be expected to be at school events which can include services. I had a number of teachers in my secondary school who were not religious/Catholic and they would just stand to the side if they had to bring us to mass etc. They were not asked to take part in the service but did need to encourage us to behave, take part and so on. We were also expected to stop at midday every day and say the Angelus. All teachers were asked to lead this regardless of their own leanings.

In Primary, all my teachers were Catholic so were able to prepare us for communion/confirmation. They're pretty major events in those years and would be hard to avoid doing or being involved in as their class teacher.

That was a number of years ago (not 22 either) but I have to say I think all teachers in a school should show some sort of respect and interest in the school ethos and school events, whether it's based on religion or sports or even just the school play.

• Advertisement

I have a few friends who teach in schools run by religious orders and haven't heard of the Angelus being said so I'm not sure how widespread that is.

Certainly I know that teachers might be requested to supervise children at school masses (I know that attendance at these things for my friends is not compulsory) and the like. But as one friend said to me, she has to supervise kids at Basketball matches too and she isn't a big Basketball fan either. But it's part of the job.

Ultimately though you are right. There's no point in being there if you have difficulty with the school ethos in the first instance. There is an element of the Basil Fawlty line of "what did you expect to see from a Torquay hotel bedroom window..........Syndey Opera House perhaps?" about it in that there's little point in someone applying to a school run by the religious and then complaining if religion crops up at some stage.

Advertisement