Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint flaking over shower

Options
  • 17-04-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

I hope this is in the right section.

The paint above my shower has started to break and flake away very badly. Is there a special paint i can buy for a bathroom??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Yes, you can get paint specifically for kitchens, bathrooms. Any hardware store or paint shop will put you right. Never use ordinary paint in these areas as they cannot withstand the steam and condensation. It is always best to use paint that is washable. I have used this type of paint in a bathroom - never had any problem and I didn't even have to touch it up in over 4 years and still looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Scrape off as much flaky stuff as you can.

Then get a sealer like polybond. Paint it on same as normal paint.

Once it's dry, you can paint over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Ventilation is probably your problem, have you got vents over your shower area?.
    Steam will peel any kind of paint off a ceiling.
    Have you considered tiling your ceiling over the shower area ?, I've done this with white tiles to match the ceiling, and works very well.
    And back to ventilation, a window left open works also.

There was a post a few weeks ago about paint for shower areas, if you go back, you might find some hints there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've never seen a bathroom ceiling tiled. The paint the lads are recommending will do the job.

I think there is a sealer (clear)you can actually paint over your original paint with.

Advertisement