Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completing games

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that most console games have the usual single person campaign, then a whole bunch of usually annoying side quests that you have to complete in order to get 100% or 10 million achievement points or whatever. Personally, I figure completing the single person mode is enough of an achievement and will rarely go back to play a game to find all the missing laptops or 121 stars or whatever.

The only exception I can think of in recent time was GTA Vice City where I spent hours searching for the 100 secret packages but that was mostly cos I loved that game and didn't want the experience to end.

So when do y'all consider game 'completed'?

When is a game 'completed'? 60 votes

100%, all achievements, all secrets revealed
    0% 0 votes
    Single person campaign completed
    15% 9 votes
    When I'm sick of it
    53% 32 votes
    I've never completed a game
    31% 19 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll play the single player, and might make an effort on some of the enjoyable achievements, but i dont understand why some people try and play a game solely for achievements. Even the packages or whatever in GTA are just stupid. I play the games for fun, not so i can mindlessly follow a map around to find packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

For me a game is completed when the story mode is entirely completed (allowances made for sidequests in certain games obviously). If I really like the game I tend to finish out all the side quests and gor for 100% and all achievements etc.

The only game I was working on finishing 100% in the last few years that I can think of is Oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

never had one 100% since the xbox. there is always more to do, and i couldnt care about most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I feel satisfied that when I complete them SP of a game, then its completed. However, I always hold on to my games for that day when I have a craving to complete it 100%.

Recently occurred with Final Fantasy X. Beat Penance over the weekend. Don't think I'll be going back to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I usually just complete the single player campaign then uninstall the game. There's too much asshatery online imo. Also, if you want to get into some decent online team games you have to join a clan and go through this drawn out initiation process designed by some 14 y/o at 2am in the morning, it just seems too much like hard work.

What I usually do now is only install one game at a time and I won't install another until that one is completed. It will have to be a very very bad game for me to uninstall it. I usually find most games have at least one redeeming factor.

Only game I can remember not even completing was Doom 3. It was just so repetitive and monotonous that it was a real struggle just to turn it on.

As I game on the PC for the majority I don't care much for achievements. I'm playing through Assassins Creed atm and i'm getting most of the achievements like unlocking vantage points and saving civilians, but as soon as that gets boring i'll just concentrate only on the main missions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Otacon wrote: »
    Recently occurred with Final Fantasy X. Beat Penance over the weekend. Don't think I'll be going back to it again.

Final Fantasy X is a good example, I completed alot of the annoying and optional extra's (eg all that Blitzball to get Wakka's weapon) as I felt there was something of a reward for them.

But I gave up when it came to finishing the monster arena as it seemed there was literally no gain apart from thinking "oh great, I beat the hardest guy in the game".

If I'm to go for 100% in a game, I'll at least have to believe I'll get something for it, for example a different ending, or an extra character, or an interesting and relevant if not crucial piece of the overall story or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

abelard wrote: »
    If I'm to go for 100% in a game, I'll at least have to believe I'll get something for it, for example a different ending, or an extra character, or an interesting and relevant if not crucial piece of the overall story or something like that.

...or satisfaction in knowing you have completely p0wned the game... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'll keep playing games until I'm bored of them. I've never been one to really go out of my way to find collectables in games, but if I see one in the area I'm in, then I'll grab it. And if I get to a point where I only need one or two more, and I'm enjoying the game, I might go and try and find the extra bits.

I never go for achievements on the xbox since they fall into 4 categories:

1) you get the achievement automatically (when you complete a level etc)
    2) you have to do something over and over, hundreds of times and it sucks the life out of the game (I think Dead Rising had things like you have to kill a huge amount of zombies to unlock a new hat or other crap like that)
    3) you have to play online and put up with american teens
    and
    4) a mix of 2 and 3, where you have to do something repetative while putting up with american teens (in Gears Of War there was an achievement that gave you 50 points if you killed 10,000 people in versus ranked match. If you get to that point or near it, then you have serious issues and need to get out more, you social retard!!!)

Also, there's just too many games coming out for me to be able to finish one 100%. I'd have a huge back log. Finishing the single-player is good enough for me, and if I enjoyed the game I can go back to it whenever I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

humanji wrote: »
    ...and if I enjoyed the game I can go back to it whenever I want.

but you subconsciously know you never will ;) I've done this a few times, left a game installed on my disk thinking i'd go back to it one day, but I never do. I then do a system format and don't bother reinstalling it.

I also can't understand the point of achievements that add nothing to the game. I was talking to a guy in work about Xbox achievements when I asked him "so ok, you get no extra content with these achievements, but what can you buy with the points you earn"... to which he said "nothing" :eek:

You mean these achievement points aren't like Superclub loyalty points??? I thought at least you could offset the cost of downloadable mini games by buying them with your hard earned points. But the only purpose of achievements is to make a number grow larger on the screen.

Its about as logical to me as a bunch of guys meeting up together with calculators and going "dude, when I add 100 + 100 I have 200" "no way man, I just added 200 + 1000, now i've got 1200, beat that" "oh man, its on bro, watch this, 1000 + ... wait for it... 1000!!! BOOYAH!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

corblimey wrote: »
    The only exception I can think of in recent time was GTA Vice City where I spent hours searching for the 100 secret packages but that was mostly cos I loved that game and didn't want the experience to end.

I'm the exact same, I managed to get 100% completion in that game... twice!
    Thinking back, I can't think of a single game that I've bothered to play that much after I've finished the main campaign apart from Resident Evil 4 (If that game had a gamerscore, you can guarantee that I'd have 1000 points!)
    I might go back if there are some obviously easy gamerpoints that I missed out on (for example the take "down the planes" and "darkness master" achievements from the darkness for an easy 150 points)
    corblimey wrote: »
    I also can't understand the point of achievements that add nothing to the game. I was talking to a guy in work about Xbox achievements when I asked him "so ok, you get no extra content with these achievements, but what can you buy with the points you earn"... to which he said "nothing" :eek:
    I thought the same at first when I heard about them (from my dad no less, who had read an article in some newspaper about people using EA sports games for an easy 1000 points)
    Once I started playing gears of war and got the prison breakout award, I thought "hey, that's pretty cool... it tracks your achievements in games". by the time I get the reward for for 5 perfect reloads, I was totally hooked on them. You're right really, they mean absolutely nothing, but personally they feel like a nice record of my gaming history for the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It really does depend on the game for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Very much on a game-by-game basis for me too. Usually, I'll get through the single player and if there were side-missions that interested me, I'd do them. I'm not loosing sleep over the fact that I haven't spray-painted the 100 spots in GTA for example, but would love to have 100% on COD4 so I can have all the weapons and perks etc (maybe not the 2 best examples, but my brain is having a slow day).

However, when I'm sick of a game, that's it! I play for fun and not the headwreck of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

It depends on the person, on the game, and it's so much a grey area that whenever I've heard it discussed, people rarely say "complete" without qualifying it with "100%" or "single-player campaign" or whatever...

Like, I've told people "I've finished Mario Galaxy with Mario, but I'm damned if I'm going to play the whole thing through all over again with Luigi." I have a friend who's finished it with Luigi, and another friend who's beaten Bowser and seen the end credits, but doesn't intend to get all the stars with Mario.

All three of us are done with game.

Advertisement