Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prevention of insect bites

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, went out for a lovely cycle last night (part of new training regime). It was fantastic. However this morning am COVERED in insect bites. I was actually wearing running tights under my cycling shorts so I don't know how the little beggars managed to bit through all the material but I'm covered in bites this morning.

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't really want to cover myself in Deet every night as it's pretty unhealthy stuff, however if I have to I will. Is this a common problem or not? And how do you over come it?... answers on a postcard to...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

where were you and when? I was out last nite too, but no effects. In fact it was quite windy last night, so I'd be very surprised if they were able to find you to bite - the wind should scatter them! Wierd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Insect bikes?
    lol, better change that title before people think this is some model of bike for sale :D

maybe it's for this:
    the_flea_circus.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I feel your pain OP.

Best advice is to avoid any route that takes in the Liffey, or the canals, or even the ponds in the phoenix park. The little buggers swarm near fresh or stagnant water.

It's a pisser because it rules out my fave routes along strawberry beds and back thru the park to Inchicore and up the canal anytime between April to October.

You could also try Lemon verbena oil as a natural insect repellent, but you'll smell like a chick's handbag...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Did you end up anywhere near Malahide, by any chance? That place experiences annual infestations of large midges. I'm not talking about the usual Irish gnats, I'm talking great clouds of hefty buggers hanging around on street corners with nothing better to do than chew the flesh off innocent passers by. Such is the sheer volume of these clouds, they're often reported in national newspapers.

Some claim these midges are actually mosquitoes that stowed away many years ago with Lord Talbot (he of Malahide Castle). He was an amateur botanist who brought back many exotic species of plants from Africa. Then again, it could be just another "suburban myth"...
    Hi guys, went out for a lovely cycle last night (part of new training regime). It was fantastic. However this morning am COVERED in insect bites. I was actually wearing running tights under my cycling shorts so I don't know how the little beggars managed to bit through all the material but I'm covered in bites this morning.

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't really want to cover myself in Deet every night as it's pretty unhealthy stuff, however if I have to I will. Is this a common problem or not? And how do you over come it?... answers on a postcard to...

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Freudian slip in the original title!

At this stage I'm beginning to wonder if it's hives or something. I did have a different bar and dried mango slices so maybe it's something I ate.

Was cycling Galway between Moycullen and Spidal, it was very windy. The only opportunity was when we had a five minute break at spidal and then the bike-loading and small run afterwards.

Don't mind smelling like a chick's handbag...since I am a chick!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Some claim these midges are actually mosquitoes that stowed away many years ago with Lord Talbot (he of Malahide Castle). He was an amateur botanist who brought back many exotic species of plants from Africa. Then again, it could be just another "suburban myth"...

I heard that too. Whenever I run through the castle grounds in the summer, I can see why people might think that.

It could certainly be hives. could be irritation from the washing powder on the tights for example, if it's a new brand, or the rinse wasn't sufficient. An allergy to the bar or the mango slices could also be it but usually that's more tender skin - neck/face/wrists than legs in my limited experience. Also insect bites would often tend to come up quicker I think - you should have noticed them before you went to bed.
    one other thing though - were you running beside/in grass? For some reason every august/september when the Rugby season used to start up again I'd get savaged - my brother used get an even worse reaction - had to get blisters drained on occasion. Dunno what caused it, but it happened many years in a row...
    But we'd be bare legged, not in tights. Surprised they can get through it - the basic precaution for mosquitos is to wear long sleeves and pants, covering exposed areas (wrists/ankles) with repellant....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was actually wearing running tights under my cycling shorts
    Why that order? I'd always have my cycling shorts against my skin. The padding is designed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

kenmc wasn't running near grass but there were grass verges, it was a country-ish area so there was plenty of scrub around, it's kind of marshy bog at the top of the hill. The washing powder is a good point, recently changed brands. I think that maybe an insect wriggled inside my clothes as the bites/hives are only on my right leg.

Daymo I guess I'm just used to having running tights next to my skin, never occured to me to have it any other way. Plus it's easier for taking shorts off for run, mind you, I should probably get used running in padded shorts for the tri's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Don't mind smelling like a chick's handbag...since I am a chick!

Hardy don't talk like that - just because you were gelded, you are no less of a male. You've given us great memories over the years so chin up and don't dwell on that little operation ......

Advertisement