Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most powerful car/van ??

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭

Hello folks

im wondering which car/vam or ultra light commercail is the most powerful , so that i dont need to nct/doe it and could use it for towwing if possable...

was looking at a 1.5 turbo EFI diahatsu charade car/van but im ownering what one would be the best ??

i know there all small engined but i want to use it for towing my peugeot 106 ( 79x curb weight currently as it stripped down to bare shell )

i have a decent budget as my brother/father will use it for day to day driving then bring my car to say , auto body or local welding shop...

any idea's or am i plain crasy ?? because there has to be Ateleast one that could do it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

Caddy TDI? Berlingo HDI?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Firstly I don't understand what you mean by not having to NCT/DOE it ...and secondly towing is not just about engine power, but also weight balance.

The car and trailer you want to tow will come in at well over a ton in weight together. For safety reasons you'll need a heavy enough towing vehicle in front or else the trailer will steer the car.

Manufacturers max towing weights also need to be considered .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Every vehicle classed as car or vans have to be tested - fullstop.
    As peasant rightly said,the car and trailer you want to tow will come in at well over a ton in weight together and i would'nt want to be doing it with a Charade. You'd be better off in a wheel barrow with a lawmower engine driving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Every vehicle classed as car or vans have to be tested - fullstop.
    As peasant rightly said,the car and trailer you want to tow will come in at well over a ton in weight together and i would'nt want to be doing it with a Charade. You'd be better off in a wheel barrow with a lawmower engine driving it!
    Isn't there an exception/loophole here. It was on a thread a while ago where a guy couldn't NCT it for some reason, but couldn't DOE it for another.

I'll try dig it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Probably for a vehicle classed as a work vehicle - ie.like a mobile workshop.

• Advertisement

Nope, here it is. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055254195

May/may not be applicable.
    As far as i can make out, it involves getting a car-van that is privately taxed and insured. Only cars can do the NCT (For privately taxed/insured vehicles)
    And only bigger stuff can be DOE'd (commercial test)

So by being in the grey area mentioned above would exempt the owner from NCT/DOE.
    Although gardai could still fine you if the car is obviously unroadworthy.

EDIT: just saw th OP posted in this thread so is aware of the issue. Should prob get back on topic here, would a vectra van fit into this cat? Sizeable enough to tow the 106 I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Even if there is a "loophole" (I remember reading about that alright), I don't think your insurance company will accept that and just claw their money back from you, once you've wrapped your little untested van and heavy trailer round somebody elses very expensive luxury car :D

Insurance Co. may ask for a garage report to prove roadworthiness. If they don't it'd prob be best to have (a relatively recent) one just incase they try duck out of payment in the case of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

peasant wrote: »
    Even if there is a "loophole" (I remember reading about that alright), I don't think your insurance company will accept that and just claw their money back from you, once you've wrapped your little untested van and heavy trailer round somebody elses very expensive luxury car :D

Funnily there is no reported case of this happening where a person has crashed a car without an NCT cert. Most eminent legal scholars assumed this would happen, but from what I know, it has now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

The nissan almera comes in a 2.2L diesel dont know the BHP though, private tax would be hefty though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement