Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorts Vs Bib shorts

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Took my cube streamer for its first spin Tuesday. Delighted with it. Compared with my Russian made "lead-iron" alloy bike I owned 10 years ago it is unbelievable to cycle. And gears not hoping so all good there. Problem now is that I only originally bought one pair of cycling shorts and one top. Need to invest in more now so that I get a chance to wash them. Regarding shorts, what is the difference between shorts and bib shorts as in what benifits do bib shorts have? I can't see the reasoning behind them myself.
    Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bibs are more comfortable. They stay in place, don't slip down and don't need strong elastic constraining your waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    Bibs are more comfortable. They stay in place, don't slip down and don't need strong elastic constraining your waist.

Agreed. Some jerseys tend to ride up, so they can leave your lower back exposed if you are wearing non-bib shorts. That said, when dressing in bib shorts, don't look in the mirror until you put on your jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am a girl and I wear bibs, most of them are men's bibs. Much more confortable on the tummy ... just a pain when you need to go for a 'Pause Naturelle' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

albob wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Took my cube streamer for its first spin Tuesday. Delighted with it. Compared with my Russian made "lead-iron" alloy bike I owned 10 years ago it is unbelievable to cycle. ANd gears not hoping so all good there. Problem now is that I only originall bough one pair of cycling shorts and one top. Need to invest in more now so that I get a chance to wash them. Regarding shorts, what is the difference between shorts and bib shorts as in what benifits do bit shorts have? I can't see the reasoning behind them myself.
    Regards

You could get some snazzy boards.ie kit -bib shorts and jerseys going cheap here

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Bib FTW - same points as above; much more comfortable than shorts, bit of a pain when you wanna drain, but worth the inconvenience. And they do look freaky when you don't have a top on, like some kinda wrestling costume.

• Advertisement

Bib FTW - same points as above; much more comfortable than shorts, bit of a pain when you wanna drain, but worth the inconvenience. And they do look freaky when you don't have a top on, like some kinda wrestling costume.

Freaky? Don't you mean sexy? I always thought it was an appreciative giggle my GF gave me when wearing them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Freaky? Don't you mean sexy? I always thought it was an appreciative giggle my GF gave me when wearing them :cool:

did you? aw, bless... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've stuck with non-bib shorts because I found the bib shorts tight around the shoulder because the bib part wasn't tall enough for me. My only experience of bib shorts is in a changing room in Cycle SuperStore so they might be less tight in a bike riding position.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

daymobrew wrote: »
    I've stuck with non-bib shorts because I found the bib shorts tight around the shoulder because the bib part wasn't tall enough for me. My only experience of bib shorts is in a changing room in Cycle SuperStore so they might be less tight in a bike riding position.

Actually, well designed shorts are meant to feel a bit tight around the shoulder when standing up straight since they're designed to be worn while bending over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Raam wrote: »
    Agreed. Some jerseys tend to ride up, so they can leave your lower back exposed if you are wearing non-bib shorts. That said, when dressing in bib shorts, don't look in the mirror until you put on your jersey.

Mine have been unceremoniously been christened my "Freddie Mercury" shorts. Bib shorts are fantastic, I did the Sean Kelly in my commuting shorts, a pair of Altura baggies. I had to unbutton them half way into the cycle because I was getting uncomfortable around the midsection.

Bibshorts, a canterbury thermal and a jersey are perfect for my spins now.

• Advertisement

I remember a while back, a friend who was getting into cycling was looking to buy some kit. I sent him some links to shorts he could consider, most of which were bibs. He got back to me asking if I was taking the mick out of him by trying to make him "look like a wally in those dungaree things".

I find these are great -particularly for the tri athletes out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

only if he wears them OVER his jersey :)
    If he wears them properly who'd even know he had bibs on? It's not like the advertise the fact on the arse or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Certainly would be good from the visibility aspect anyway - big white arse and neon green would catch attention :)
    Do you not find that it irritates your crack though Tiny? I can't imagine it being comfortable.
    .oO(Mental note, always cycle in front of Tiny from now on. Far in front.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bib shorts can be more comfortable for longer cycles. For shorter cycles I don't know that there would be much of a difference. Relieving oneself if not a problem- if you are male.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

When the weather gets good in the summer we should arrange a cycle wearing these instead of the new Boards Kit.

Imagine the look on peoples faces if about 20 lads and hopefully a few women cycled by wearing them.:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Went for the bib shorts. Fully confident the extra sholder straps will hold in my belly! Ended up not going for a cycle today though. Cold and wet. Now have bought a jacket....see my other thread.

kenmc wrote: »
    only if he wears them OVER his jersey :)

I think that's what he thought you were meant to do with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »
    I think that's what he thought you were meant to do with them!
    I have certainly seen it done. Apart from this though, I seem to recall it as a bit of a "look" from professional cycling in the 1980s? Or were these just guys who had dispensed with their jerseys but had an under layer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Bibs all the way. Particularly good if you have a... (ahem) bay window like me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement