Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gears 'grinding'

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is most likely a very basic maintenance problem, as i'll admit i don't know too much about keeping my bike in good order :(

when i'm cycling up a hill or basically pushing hard on the pedals, they do this horrible 'grinding' thing. its noisy, and i can feel the chain must be rubbing against something through my legs, but i just can't figure out what! they also sometimes click and move like they're changing when i haven't done anything.

its fine if i'm going at a relatively easy pace/on a flat/going down a hill, i don't even notice anything.

this is very annoying as its not just an ugly noise, its also making my pedalling efforts less effective/efficient.

any idea what the problem could be?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How long has it been since you've had your chain changed? By the sounds of it you need a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

really? poo! didn't even know they needed to be changed :o

don't think its ever been changed, i bought it off my brother a while back. will look into that so

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yep, they have a finite lifespan. The chain streches and stops to mate well with the cogs. How long a chain lasts depends on how much you ride the bike, how hard you ride it and the quality of the chain itself. The cogs, front and back can also wear out, albeit at a slower rate. If you're dropping it into a shop, ask them to take a look at them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

yeah that sounds about right. it doesn't really feeling like its catching the cog properly. any idea how much a new chain would cost me?
    i'm a poor student and with end of year exams/assignments, i don't even have time for part time work :(

i might just have to walk for a while

I've always done the job myself, so I'm not sure how much a bike shop would charge you. A bog standard chain is around a tenner, but they'll probably factor in labour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement