Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Posher Hondas for Europe in 2010

Options
  • 17-04-2008 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Finally, Acura is heading our way in 2010.

The new Honda NSX will be one of the cars they will be selling to us Europeans.

Now can Honda finally stop trying to give the Accord ideas above it's station?

Story here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

E92 wrote: »
    Finally, Acura is heading our way in 2010.

The new Honda NSX will be one of the cars they will be selling to us Europeans.

Now can Honda finally stop trying to give the Accord ideas above it's station?

Story here.

I'm not sure why they are only bringing them in here in 2010... they were very popular in canada 10 years ago when i first went there....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not sure why they are only bringing them in here in 2010... they were very popular in canada 10 years ago when i first went there....

Toyota with the Lexus brand were really the only Japanese firm up to know who bucked the trend with regards having a successful established global luxury brand.

Mazda failed with the Xedus models but both Honda and Nissan have had greater success in the US/Canada with their Acura and Infiniti brands respectively but will find the image conscious European market is a harder nut to crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

bazz26 wrote: »
    Toyota with the Lexus brand were really the only Japanese firm up to know who bucked the trend with regards having a successful established global luxury brand.

Mazda failed with the Xedus models but both Honda and Nissan have had greater success in the US/Canada with their Acura and Infiniti brands respectively but will find the image conscious European market is a harder nut to crack.

"Xedos" was never mazdas luxury brand - it was a model name like "passat" or "avensis" etc not an actual brand like Lexus, Infinity, Acura etc

Also afaik, Acura is not a "luxury" division of Honda ... its just the brand they use to market some Hondas in USA & Canada ... I'd hardly call an Acura Integra a high class luxury model ..

acura-integra-type-r-640-480.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

C_Breeze wrote: »
    "Xedos" was never mazdas luxury brand - it was a model name like "passat" or "avensis" etc not an actual brand like Lexus, Infinity, Acura etc
    Mazda Xedos was a range of executive cars launched by Japanese manufacturer Mazda in 1992.

The original model was the Mazda Xedos 6, which was similar in size to the BMW 3 Series. The Xedos 6 was known as the Eunos 500 in Japan. This vehicle was not sold in the USA.

By 1994, there was a larger model called the Mazda Xedos 9, which was of a similar size to the BMW 5 Series. The Xedos 9 was known as the Eunos 800 in Japan, and the Mazda Millenia in the USA.

Unfortunately for Mazda, neither versions of the Xedos were popular, and a facelift in 1998 did little to improve matters, and production ceased in 2000.

From Wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Max_Damage wrote: »
    From Wikipedia.

Yeah youre quote from wikipedia only highlights that they weren't very successful which i don't dispute ... My point however, was that "Xedos" was not a BRAND but a MODEL ... which is clearly highlighted in that wiki article

A Brand is BMW MERCEDES LEXUS etc

A Model is 3 series , Passat, is200, Avensis etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

C_Breeze wrote: »

Also afaik, Acura is not a "luxury" division of Honda ... its just the brand they use to market some Hondas in USA & Canada ... I'd hardly call an Acura Integra a high class luxury model ..

acura-integra-type-r-640-480.jpg

The Xedos 6 was pitched against the BMW 3 Series and Audi 80/A4 at the time. The Mazda 626 was competing against the Avensis and Passat. The Xedos wore the Mazda badge alright which was silly.

The current European Accord is sold as an Acura in the US along with other saloon type cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That Autocar article is a wishy-washy as it gets. Switching to RWD and 2015 before the first new RWD saloon comes out? Someone should have told Autocar that the bigger Acuras are 4WD already.

Advertisement