Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age old question, xbox 360 or ps3, what do you prefare.

Options
  • 17-04-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

now that ps3 has been out for a while im just curious to know what people are playing more and what they prefare. i have both consoles and i always find myself leaning heavily towards the 360 thats not to say i dont think the ps3 is a fantastic machine i just think the 360 has better games and a better online service. opinions anyone........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Indie18 wrote: »
    i just think the 360 has better games and a better online service. opinions anyone........

Same here.
    After trying unsuccessfully to update GT5 for a week after I got it, I just gave up in the end and haven't bothered playing anything on my PS3 since.
    It's a great machine, and it has a pretty solid catalogue of games, but none that I'd really consider essential apart from Uncharted.

If the 360 wasn't so damn noisy it'd be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

As a piece of hardware the PS3 is better. However, the 360 has a better catalogue of games.

Personally I chose the PS3 as it is more future proof than the 360 and the games I wanted (MGS4, GT5) were coming out exclusively for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

Thank god for this thread- was afraid to post yet another one myself.

Listen What IS the better console?

I am about to buy - tbh solely for GTA4 - but need to know what is better in terms of the other games available?

Generally I only play PC games these days but havent played a console since the PS2 to know the extent of how good each of these are...

At the moment I am inclined to buy xbox plus GTA for €260 rather than a PS3 and GTA for €460 +

ps. I dont care about blu ray ( should I ?!)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If GTAIV is your main concern, I'd go for the Xbox 360 version which will have exclusive downloadable missions that the PS3 won't. In terms of other games, the PS3 still lags someway behind the 360's library of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The 360 is your best bet. As said above, it has the downloadable content that (at least to begin with) the PS3 doesn't have. Also, the majority of games are coming out on both consoles. There'll be PS3 exclusives, but you should check them out to see what they are, to see if you could be bothered with any of them.

Personally, I much prefer the 360. It just strikes me as more user friendly (whether it is or not. I think it's just the bright colours :D ). I use my 360 for games and use the PS3 as a media centre. But my PC beats the two of them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Trapattoni wrote: »

ps. I dont care about blu ray ( should I ?!)

that really depends on weather or not you care about watching things in hd or not if you dont then for now you shouldn't really care about blu ray but i think a time is gonnacome when dvds willl start to fade away and blu ray will be the norm its hard to tell at the moment. we will see when blu ray palyers start to drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

ive both and i never use the ps3 its been sitting under my tv since launch and has only been turned on a handfull of times the games are generally more expensive too which makes me buy the 360 version every time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I guess it depends, if you have a decent enough PC then go for a PS3 as most of the top releases for the 360 will get a games for windows release. If they don't then you'll usually find that they'll be getting a PS3 release.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many top exclusives that where released for the Xbox only.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Like Trapattoni, i'm mainly a PC gamer, but I've now decided to venture into the console market for a couple of reasons.

GTAIV being first and foremost, the next being blu-ray now that the HD war is over, and lastly I've had Burnout cold turkey since takedown came out on the PS2. The lack of decent games doesn't bother me too much as it will only be the select game that I will get on the PS3, also, the PS3 has it wifi receiver built in which is nice to have from the start.

tbh, when I bought my HD TV a couple of years ago I thought it would be ages before I would actually have a HD use for it. You gotta love modern day technology, its gives me a warm feeling all over :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just as another person with all consoles i not getting into which i prefer, play the 360 at least 15 times more.

• Advertisement

it seems that people with both always lean more towards the 360 other people i know say the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

've had Burnout cold turkey since takedown came out on the PS2.

might be good to get a 360 then as it has both the recent Burnout Paradise and a swanky high def with online support version of Revenge (if the free roaming elements of paradise dont appeal)

Aside from that, I dont know, same time last year I would have said 360, and I still feel that by today the 360 still has a better software lineup and online support. But the ps3 is beginning to pick up speed and the 360 does seem to be slowing a bit, not alot though and it was mostly cause of the blu ray victory.

but overall the ps3 still suffers from a problem of too much of its appeal is stuff that still hasnt shown up (too many AAA exclusives still not here, new innovative game designs such as Home and Littlebigplanet still not here etc etc.)

360, if you dont like it now, you wont ever like it cause its not going to change much, they found their stride and its a good thing that they will be sticking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I have both and at this point I prefer the PS3. There is nothing coming out on the 360 that isn't on the ps3 (that i want) anymore that won't be out on PC and my PC will be quieter and less likely to die (on 4th 360 atm).

Games are cheaper for me because I can order any ps3 game online and know it will work, the ps3 network is fine for me as i'm not so big into playing online games(i don't use live much either) and as for the 360 GTA4's exclusive DLC, i can't be arsed paying extra for some sub-missions.

I can't and don't deny the 360 is a great console (when it works) but for me there is nothing worthwhile on the horizon that i'm looking forward to that is exclusive.

I have both and at this point I prefer the PS3. There is nothing coming out on the 360 that isn't on the ps3 (that i want) anymore that won't be out on PC and my PC will be quieter and less likely to die (on 4th 360 atm).

Games are cheaper for me because I can order any ps3 game online and know it will work, the ps3 network is fine for me as i'm not so big into playing online games(i don't use live much either) and as for the 360 GTA4's exclusive DLC, i can't be arsed paying extra for some sub-missions.

I can't and don't deny the 360 is a great console (when it works) but for me there is nothing worthwhile on the horizon that i'm looking forward to that is exclusive.

well at least if something does arrive you have the 360 there anyway thats the way i look at my ps3 right now although i do use it for watching blu ray

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    might be good to get a 360 then as it has both the recent Burnout Paradise and a swanky high def with online support version of Revenge (if the free roaming elements of paradise dont appeal)

Aye, but 'tis only a small extra when you consider the blu ray option which i'm aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Had i been asked last week i would have said 360, pretty easily too. But i didn't play it alot, i only had it a year and the f**king red ring of doom showed up. I never had any problems with playstation from the first to the third and as a result i'm more n favour for the PS3. still seriously pissed about my Xbox too :mad:

Actaully, one thing I've noticed on the PS3 that I haven't seen on the 360 is extreme slowdown and crashes if there's too much happening on screen. The main culprits for this are Viking and Dynasty Warriors 6. Now, granted it's more the game than the console, but I haven't had my 360 crash while playing Viking at all.

Has anyone else tried this on both machines, and what was your experience with it?

there's also those mandatory installs that pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'm in the market myself for one of these. atm, im leaning heavily towards the 360 due mainly to the price (€300 for console and 4 games). The only thing keeping me on the fence is the bluray player and to a smaller extent the built in wifi of the ps3.

Im primarily a pc gamer and dont intend to change but i like having a console for those few games that i cant get on pc. also the laptop is starting to age (mainly the gfx card, 256mb 7900GS) and its becoming increasingly hard to play the latest games with good gfx, so i reckon the console may become a stopgap till i can afford to build a good new desktop (much like my original xbox was).

Are there any great ps3 exclusives on the horizon that could sway me? (keeping in mind i hate the gt games and mgs really dosnt do it for me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I own both and agree with that pretty much 100%

I can't think of a single 360 exclusive I'm looking forward to anymore now that I'm done with Lost Oddyssey and Mass Effect.

On the other hand I'm still playing GT5 a lot, looking forward to MGS4 soon, aswell as the likes of LBP, Team Ico's next and Final Fantasy further down the road. I also love the experimental stuff that Sony aren't afraid to try like Loco Roco or Echochrome (I've been playing the Japanese version a lot) and the likes of Flower and Afrika coming later in the year.

With all that said, that's still only maybe 5 or 6 games the PS3 has over the 360. 90% of what I'm looking forward to will be out on both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

So are you saying go for the 360 stevie ? is there a danger the 360 may not have quality titles to come?

There will be quality titles coming to the 360, just not right now. The PS3 has more to come in the immediate future. But there's going to be very few exclusives to each console. There's just too much money to be made in having a release on all formats (GTA4 is supposed to be bringing in $400 million in the first week!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i dont know really.yes,x360 can simply outrun ps3 in ALL aspects.

but,my heart now seriously just wanna get a ps3 ASAP for the mgs4 release.god,i m a mad gamer.in fact,if they say mgs4 gonna release on x360 ,ps3 will never float up in my mind ,ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Trapattoni wrote: »
    So are you saying go for the 360 stevie ? is there a danger the 360 may not have quality titles to come?

There's absolutely no danger that it won't have quality titles.

There is a danger that it won't have quality exclusive titles, while the PS3 does.

But neither console will disappoint because of the wealth of multiplatform releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Have both. The PS3 just sits there gathering dust while the xbox360 is constantly on.
    Its the level and quality of games I think. Especially RPG'S.
    nONE COMING UP FOR THE ps3 for a while.

Its the level and quality of games I think. Especially RPG'S.

that statement just screams bizarre, when you consider its a microsoft machine. The Xbox barely scraped through with the help of Bioware, but yeah it is shocking the number of rpgs and jrpgs the 360 has gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

that statement just screams bizarre, when you consider its a microsoft machine. The Xbox barely scraped through with the help of Bioware, but yeah it is shocking the number of rpgs and jrpgs the 360 has gotten.

Ya, and well into this year before we see any for the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's almost too many if that's possible. I'm still playing through Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey but am now sidetracked by Mass Effect. I haven't even taken Eternal Sonata out of its wrapper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's almost too many if that's possible. I'm still playing through Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey but am now sidetracked by Mass Effect. I haven't even taken Eternal Sonata out of its wrapper.

I'm really surprised at this as well. Getting Mistwalker on board was a stroke of genius it's a pity the FF fanboys can't see how much of a trainwreck that Squaresoft has become lately. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt but I'd put money on FFXIII being utter crude.

At least we have white knight story on the PS3 to look forward to. Level 5 have yet to make an RPG that is less than stunning and hopefully this will follow suit.

• Advertisement

At least we have white knight story on the PS3 to look forward to. Level 5 have yet to make an RPG that is less than stunning and hopefully this will follow suit.

Have they shown any of that since its initial reveal. Probably have but I only ever remember seeing it at the tokyo game show 2 years ago...

Advertisement