Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age old question, xbox 360 or ps3, what do you prefare.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The PS3 controller is what turns me off playing it. I just don't like the triggers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

i dont mind the ps3 controller i like how light it is but the 360 controller just sits in your hands better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Specs: PS3
    Multiplayer: Xbox360
    Partys/Friends Over: WII
    Least Noise: PS3
    Controller: Xbox 360
    Size: WII
    Best Games: Xbox 360
    Gayness/Fun: WII (In a good way!) :D
    Price: WII
    Online: Xbox 360
    Most Common: Xbox 360
    Downloadable content: Xbox 360
    Easiest Online Layout: Xbox 360
    Graphics: PS3

If the PS3 had gears of war, halo 3 and loads of games, on it, i would buy one. The PS3 needs better games that cannot not be purchased on any other console to make it unique.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Specs: PS3
    Multiplayer: Xbox360
    Partys/Friends Over: WII
    Least Noise: PS3
    Controller: Xbox 360
    Size: WII
    Best Games: Xbox 360
    Gayness/Fun: WII (In a good way!) :D
    Price: WII
    Online: Xbox 360
    Most Common: Xbox 360
    Downloadable content: Xbox 360
    Easiest Online Layout: Xbox 360
    Graphics: PS3

i would have to agree with you on all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Have both (and Wii)
    I bought the PS3 more as a media centre, with the blu-ray and the fact that it plays divx etc, also as mentioned previously future proofing.
    I love the 360 its a pure gaming machine for adults (not many games for kids).
    I love the controller and the games look as good as the ps3 titles. In the future I reckon the ps3 will come into its own.
    As for the Wii, I turned it on the other night for the first time in months after buying Mario Kart, glad I decided not to sell my console.
    As I told a mate of mine if its pure gaming your'e after buy the 360, if you want a media type deal go with the ps3 or do what I did and get both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

sham69 wrote: »
    Have both (and Wii)
    I bought the PS3 more as a media centre, with the blu-ray and the fact that it plays divx etc, also as mentioned previously future proofing.
    I love the 360 its a pure gaming machine for adults (not many games for kids).
    I love the controller and the games look as good as the ps3 titles. In the future I reckon the ps3 will come into its own.
    As for the Wii, I turned it on the other night for the first time in months after buying Mario Kart, glad I decided not to sell my console.
    As I told a mate of mine if its pure gaming your'e after buy the 360, if you want a media type deal go with the ps3 or do what I did and get both.
    Im a fan of all three machines, i always debate whether the PS3 will kick start with my mates, but it all depends on making more brilliant games, but would people buy a PS3 after buying a WII or Xbox 360? If there were more than 6 amazing games made that people kept talking about on PS3, i would probably go out and buy one. But all that seems to be able to save the PS3 as yet is Gran Turismo or could at least give it a kick start in sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

they both have their qualitys which makes them good such as:

1. PS3- better built console, actual inernet browser
    2. 360- has achievements(makes you try more), better online services

in the end its the xbox 360 for me,

plus the 360 has better exclusive games like halo and gears of war. But saying that im looking foward to metal gaer solid 4 more than anything this year (ps3 exclusive or so ive heard)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Trapattoni wrote: »
    Thank god for this thread- was afraid to post yet another one myself.

Listen What IS the better console?

I am about to buy - tbh solely for GTA4 - but need to know what is better in terms of the other games available?

Generally I only play PC games these days but havent played a console since the PS2 to know the extent of how good each of these are...

At the moment I am inclined to buy xbox plus GTA for €260 rather than a PS3 and GTA for €460 +

ps. I dont care about blu ray ( should I ?!)

Cheers

Like yourself, I generally play pc games only too. However, in saying that I have both a PS3 and 360 (as gifts). I play the 360 alot more then the ps3, only because me and my house-mates like to have a 4 player game of gears of war. That's the only reason we play the 360, because of Gears of War.

Everybody says the 360 has a great catalogue of games, and yes it does have a big catalogue, but very few of them interest me. Like I said, i only play Gears of War. Now that's just my opinion, maybe it's because I'm more of a pc gamer, like yourself.

As for the PS3, the number of games it has is growing, and 2008 is definitely the year of the PS3. The only games I really play on the ps3 is Warhawk, Resistance and Calling all cars (great little game).

Another thing to note, judging by your price you have mentioned for the 360, you are looking at the arcade version (forgive if im worng tho). If thats the case, bear in mind you will need a hard-drive for the DLC on the 360. And you also have to pay for online gaming on the 360, just another thing to note if you plan on playing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

Ah yeah Ill be getting the Premium alright - Gears of war looks very good

In fact all war games seem to look excellent - I just have reservations as to whether I can play that type of game being so used to the mouse and keyboard setup ( so much more realistic than ps2 COD for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Trapattoni wrote: »
    Ah yeah Ill be getting the Premium alright - Gears of war looks very good

In fact all war games seem to look excellent - I just have reservations as to whether I can play that type of game being so used to the mouse and keyboard setup ( so much more realistic than ps2 COD for example)

You get used to it. Take Gears of war for example, aiming is easy and quick to get used to with sniping the hardest to get used to. The only thing is maybe the lack of buttons. Taking gears for example again, the A button is used to take cover against objects, but it's also the button to run. So trying to escape a foe in multiplayer can be annoying as you character can take cover against an object while in fact you just want him to get the f**k outta there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ive got a 360, Wii and PS3.

I play my 360 all the time.
    My Wii gets loads of time too, especially PES and when mates are around.
    I play PC competitivley.
    I cant even remember the last time i turned on my PS3. I think it was to watch a BluRay last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm mainly a PC gamer too, i'd go for a ps3 especially for GTA IV as i believe it will run smoother on the better hardware and also not to mention free multiplayer.

xbox live costs money for shoddy peer 2 peer multiplayer, now the ps3 has this too, but at least you're not taxed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I have both consoles and 360 wins hands down on almost all fronts except reliability and features of hardware.

Games, online, controllers, etc... all fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Is the ps3 free to play online, can't fathom paying for online play tbh, dirty money grabbing MS, have you not forked out enough for the console and then 70 euro games without having to pay for online play, I'm a PC gamer and would never buy a 360 for the above reason, might buy a ps3 if for some reason I lost my pc, it's a pretty impressive gadget, the 360 is noisy too that would put me off

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

MGS4 and Wipeout

That is all

<controversial> A PC is better than both of them </controversial>

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Started out not liking the PS3 at all, loved the 360, the PS3 just sat there next to theTV doing little else but playing the occasional Bluray.
    Now it's flipped, the 360 hasn't been used for over a month, not since I finished Bioshock, Burnout Paradise goes unplayed, while the PS3 has been getting most of my attention, with GT5prologue, Ratchet and Clank and COD4 occupying my time.

However, I am buying the 360 edition of GTAIV with my eye on future DLC that the PS3 isn't getting and the, frankly, superior controller.

But then Haze on the PS3 looks mighty fine too, deary deary me, what is a boy to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I was going to buy a 360 a few weeks ago but eventually decided against it mainly due to its reliability issues. However, further down the line if Microsoft redesign or simply modify the 360 and sort out the RROD problem and cut down the noise of it I would definetly reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

have both, just use the ps3 for gt5 although Im not really touching it till my g25 comes because I cant play with that controller. But i'd use it more for a media centre over the 360.

360 and pc does me for the rest of my gaming needs.

I was going to buy a 360 a few weeks ago but eventually decided against it mainly due to its reliability issues. However, further down the line if Microsoft redesign or simply modify the 360 and sort out the RROD problem and cut down the noise of it I would definetly reconsider.

im not to sure but i think i remembr reading somthing about xbox sorting the rrod problem aparently amy xbox made after september 07 will not have that problem. If i am actually wrong about this sombody correct me because i am not to sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Nope the rrod is still alive and well on the 360, even the falcon models suffer from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Interesting debate lads, thanks. Suprising how many people have both tbh.

Now my mini hijack :D

I'm doing my homework at the moment for the imminent purchase of a 40/42" LCD or plasma, which will be mostly used for watching NTL digital. I'd like to have some manner of high def gadgetry to add to the wow factor though. I'm leaning toward a PS3 so far for it's blu ray, divx support, wi-fi, GTA4 and to a lesser extent GT5. It basically seems to have more going for it as a device beyond next gen gaming.

Anything wrong with my logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

your logic is sound except for gta4 (which is on both platforms so isnt really a point)

but as a home entertainment unit, the ps3 is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I guess it depends, if you have a decent enough PC then go for a PS3 as most of the top releases for the 360 will get a games for windows release. If they don't then you'll usually find that they'll be getting a PS3 release.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many top exclusives that where released for the Xbox only.

Halo 1,2,3; Gears of War 1,2; Assasin's Creed. I think...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Peleus wrote: »
    Halo 1,2,3; Gears of War 1,2; Assasin's Creed. I think...

Halo 1, 2, Gears of War and Assassins creed are on PC. They may not have been at the start, but are now.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Halo 1 and 2 as well as Gears of War 1 are both on PC as is Assassins Creed which is also on PS3. Of course the Xbox 360 got those games first with the exception of Assassins Creed which the PS3 got at the same time.

Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 are expected to eventually make there way to the PC format but it could take quite a while.

Advertisement