Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce 8800ULTRA/PCI-Express 768MB

Options
  • 17-04-2008 12:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is the "GeForce 8800ULTRA/PCI-Express 768MB" a good gaming card? was thinking of buying it for my new gaming rig,its 487 euro on elara.ie,good price?any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

No not really a good price - check out the thread on the 9800GTX and check around the net for a few comparison reviews - some good links and references in this thread. 9800GX2 is currently the highest performing single card solution and you can have on e delivered for around €440.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's an overclocked GTX, which can be gotten for ~€250 new. Totally uneconomical....

Elara generally wouldn't offer the best prices either on video cards, Komplett have gotten much better lately, Dabs are decent too. Hardwareversand are excellent, but, their postage is very high, which brings the total cost closer to Irish prices if you're only buying the one item. Same goes for overclockers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Steer clear of the Ultra, it was a pre-G92 exercise in stupid pricing by NVIDIA.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Good performance yes, Good price? Hell No!

Get a 9800GTX for 250 instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

If it was me, I would get a 8800gt for €165 delivered...

Only game it cant play on max is Crysis and not even a €500 superclocked 9800gx2 can do that

Its a great card and that €300 you spare, can go towards Nvidia's real next gen cards coming out in september, they should eat Crysis...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

my brother told me last nite,he'd give me his old 8800gts 320mb card for 50 quid,is it a good card?he only got last may,and the only reason hes selling it is cuz he got a 8800gts 512mdb card in january.what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

my brother told me last nite,he'd give me his old 8800gts 320mb card for 50 quid,is it a good card?he only got last may,and the only reason hes selling it is cuz he got a 8800gts 512mdb card in january.what do ye think?
    I'd say grab it as quickly as you can in case he changes his mind. 50 quid for that card is an absolutely unbelievable bargain, wish I had a brother like that. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya hes sound out,always looked out for me :) its a good card so is it?

For 50 euro it is unbeatable value, they usually seem to go for ~115 on adverts.ie so you are getting a great price from your bro. And yes it is still a very decent gfx card. It is based on the slightly older G80 chip, but it isn't too far off the G92 based 8800GT that Squall20 suggested, and remember you'd be getting it for one third the price of a GT!
    That would be another 100 or so you could save towards whatever new gfx cards come out later this year if you so wished, plus you certainly would be able to enjoy some good gaming in the meantime using that 8800GTS 320. I'd say go for your bro's offer, definitely a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

It's an overclocked GTX, which can be gotten for ~€250 new. Totally uneconomical....

I've both Evga 8800GTX and Evga 8800 Ultra cards. The Ultras clock much higher and have much better cooling. If you can afford it ,go Ultra....if not, get some waterblocks on those GTX and start overclocking them :p
    The 9800GX2 is actually two cards mated together ala the ill fated 7900GX2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonAsullie

duridian wrote: »
    I'd say grab it as quickly as you can in case he changes his mind. 50 quid for that card is an absolutely unbelievable bargain, wish I had a brother like that. :)

Indeed most be a sound chappie to leave it go for that cheap,is he going to build the rig as well for you sepirothdude?,he sounds like a guy that would do that also,brother of the year material I thiink!:D

Good price; but...I think people are overestimating the retail value of 8800GTS 320mb cards at the moment. They cost 110-ish...brand new, and that's the MSI OC version, which typically would cost more then a standard model. Second hand? Worth about 80.

So yes, fantastic price and still saving, but the 320mb GTS is actually much cheaper brand new then people seem to realise!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Its a great card, I have it and it runs cod4 very smoothly, also Crisis on medium sttings if you install the patch. I would go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonAsullie

Good price; but...I think people are overestimating the retail value of 8800GTS 320mb cards at the moment. They cost 110-ish...brand new, and that's the MSI OC version, which typically would cost more then a standard model. Second hand? Worth about 80.

So yes, fantastic price and still saving, but the 320mb GTS is actually much cheaper brand new then people seem to realise!

I honestly dont know what their going for these days,It was around the 130-150 mark last I looked(around a month ago),having said that I saw its big brother, a 640mb on Komplett.ie for 275 euros today which is just madness.

Yeah prices aren't being updated on all cards to reflect changes in hardware. The 320mb 8800GTS goes for 119 on Komplett, and 110 on Hardwareversand - and thats the MSI OC edition, which would cost more then a standard model anyway.

See what you mean about prices not being updated. There's also a slightly faster XFX OC version of the 320MB 8800GTS on Komplett for €210 at the moment. €91 euro for 5MHz extra on core and 100MHz on the memory! I don't know how they expect to sell it at that price, you could SLi 2 of the MSI cards for just €28 more

Advertisement