Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import duty on an ebay sale

Options
  • 17-04-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Bought a set of carbon wheels on E bay. Importing from Hong Kong - anyone know if I am going to get nailed for import tax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You should. You might not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The sender will have to fill out a customs declartion on his end which should declare the value of the goods being sent. You'll get hit for duty and VAT on whatever value is on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

It's really up to the seller you are dealiing with. Some sellers will lower the price of the items they're posting on the post sticker thingy so that the tax will be less ( ie: 2000 Euro Wheels can become 200 euro wheels). You can ask the seller to send it as 'sample' or 'replacement part' ... send it in a box that doesn't say ' Zipp Wheels' ... some unknown brand ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It's really up to the seller you are dealiing with. Some sellers will lower the price of the items they're posting on the post sticker thingy so that the tax will be less ( ie: 2000 Euro Wheels can become 200 euro wheels). You can ask the seller to send it as 'sample' or 'replacement part' ... send it in a box that doesn't say ' Zipp Wheels' ... some unknown brand ...

Or the age old 'mark it as a gift' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Or the age old 'mark it as a gift' :)

Some seller are reluctant to do that now ... I find anyway. But worth a try.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

they are cracking down on items sent as gifts, ive been charged a couple of times. I think if its over a certain value, you will get charged anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Any idea of the % charged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

According to the TARIC site, its 4.7% from Hong Kong. Then you add 21% VAT on top of that.

Cheers

4.7% for components

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You have to pay duty and VAT on anything imported from outside the EU. All that matters is the value and the cut-off is €22, although customs may not bother for amounts a bit over that. The "gift" thing just raises the cut-off to €45. So if your wheels cost €500 it doesn't matter if it is marked "gift" or not.

Having said that in my experience a lot of Hong Kong eBay sellers will undervalue on the customs form. You will also have more of a chance if using regular post rather than a courier, half the time customs don't seem to bother with that even if the value declaration is over the limit. With a courier you will be paying duty, VAT + a ridiculous "administration charge" added by the courier company.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

also you pay duty and vat on the value plus the cost of the postage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mtbdude74

I bought a set of Ksyrium wheels from ebay USA. Great deal, or so I thought...Told the seller to put down as replacement part. He obliged, but the idiot also put down the full value of it. Got stung by customs big time, even paid tax on the postage fee!!!! Protested but the anpost guys just shrugged and said to take it up with customs in Port Laoise. At the end of the day, paid exactly the same amount as cyclesuperstore charge anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

mtbdude74 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, paid exactly the same amount as cyclesuperstore charge anyway.

That's why the kit is the price it is in the EU, by the time they pay taxes etc.

Arrived this morning

no Duty ......sweeeeet

The seller wrote "REPLACEMENT PART" on the docket

thanks for the suggestion

Advertisement