Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does it take so long to open a folder?

• 17-04-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

This is an ongoing issue with my machine at home. It's a nixer-related machine, so I don't use it that often, really, but when I do use it, I use it solidly for a fortnight. It's an off the shelf HP bought about 2 years ago with XP SP2 (and all the attendant critical updates). It's fine in most regards except when using Windows Explorer. On a folder that contains say 20 files, of different types, it can take up to 30 seconds to open the folder contents. And this is every single time. Even within the same Explorer 'session'. I've tried using some process managers to determine what's happening, but nothing appears to be hitting it. There's no upswing of activity on the machine, it just sits there for 20, 30 seconds and then displays the contents.

Anyone comes across this before, any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

AV software scanning the files?

Have you tried the free tools from SysInternals? They are excellent for checking what's happening in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

JDxtra wrote: »
    AV software scanning the files?

Have you tried the free tools from SysInternals? They are excellent for checking what's happening in the background.

Sysinternals? One of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yep, Process Monitor should do the trick - it's a really good tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Okay, so using a few tools, and by a process of elimination, I've found that it's my AntiVirus (CA AV) that's causing the problem. Not sure why it only affects this machine, it works fine on my other machine. Turning off real time protection appears to resolve the issue, although I'm not happy about it.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement