Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is leinster v Munster rivalry healthy for Irish rugby?

• 17-04-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Well is it
    or is it a bad thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

obviously,it pushes the provinces to improve year on year

as a Leinster fan I dont start badmouthing the Munster players when they play for Ireland,If anything their success is helping them to become better players in big match situations.

Its not a huge rivalry,its not as if their is killings on the streets after a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Good. Everything here is said light heartedly. Rugby is a sport where the supporters can sit together and enjoy a match. If you want to see a bad rivalry check out the linfield match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

could it escilate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

ajeffares wrote: »
    could it escilate?
    If Heineken sponsor the Magners league and Magners sponsor the Heineken Cup, I could see Munster fans getting confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

leinster are crap

no munster are crap

yeah, great rivalry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

In Rugby terms yes, in forum terms no as its a trolls dream

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If Heineken sponsor the Magners league and Magners sponsor the Heineken Cup, I could see Munster fans getting confused.

:rolleyes: Change the record Tim FFS .

marco_polo wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Change the record Tim FFS .
    I thought it was witty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Getting back OT, i'd say it is good in the main, but there's a worrying descent into muppetry becoming increasingly obvious of late...just check-out the last boards thread on the munster/leinster game...which I don't want to see creeping into rugby. Some of the contributions were, not to put too fine a point on it utterly moronic and bugger all to do with rugby/the game itself....

You also tend to get a rash of people who know feck-all about rugby suddenly becoming very opinionated and loud when it comes to Leinster/Munster and frankly the amount of sh1te talked about and around the fixture is infuriating...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I thought it was witty.

Ok, I must be just senstive today. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

escobar wrote: »
    If you want to see a bad rivalry check out the linfield match.

Oh FFS, get real with you:mad:. That was nothing but sensationalist reporting from some rags. The guy with his face busted open had his face busted open by a fellow Linfield supporter/steward. The reason for it was because he tried to get in without a ticket.

Granted the riot police sectioning off the road to traffic certainly created a nervous atmosphere for some individuals but the game passed off largely without any trouble. Would you have preferred scenes reminiscent of the Ulster parade again? At the end of the day football supporters are a breed apart from rugby supporters and comparing them is pointless. I say that as a football supporter and a rugby player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

as i heard from a long time munster rugby supporter the other day.........

"I think i hate leinster more than i love Munster"

Classic.......

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

i reckon the rivalry is a good thing...shows pride and support for you team...which the players feel on the pitch only a good thing i suppose. you just dont want it descending into farce and being a biggot for the sake of it. I wouldnt begrudge munster a HC as long as they earned it ;)

....if you want real rivalry you have to turn to soccer and AC Milan with Inter Milan or some fo those argentinian clubs are mad b@stards

toomevara wrote: »
    You also tend to get a rash of people who know feck-all about rugby suddenly becoming very opinionated and loud when it comes to Leinster/Munster and frankly the amount of sh1te talked about and around the fixture is infuriating...
    The one I really hate is the stereotype that it's working man versus rich man. I mean Munster fans are hardly nackers. There's a few Limerick heads who wouldn't be too familiar with the big words but the majority are hardly nackers and the majority of their team come from fee paying rugby schools - eh hardly working class, whatever that is in one of the richest economies in the world.

Seriously, may I continue to rant, if Munster fans were really struggling to pay the bills, where do they get all their money to go to Heineken cup games? from Santa?

At the end of the day football supporters are a breed apart from rugby supporters and comparing them is pointless. I say that as a football supporter and a rugby player.[/quote]

I agree with you .:( I believe that the rivalry is good natured and won't ever get as bad as soccer's. In fact it is probably part of the reason Leinster and Munster perform so well year in year out.:)

Seriously, may I continue to rant, if Munster fans were really struggling to pay the bills, where do they get all their money to go to Heineken cup games? from Santa?

Ah you know..runnin' guns, sellin' crack and H and generally subverting the state...Lucrative business you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Hmmm... thread is a bit confusing - have I missed half a conversation???

The rivalry is a good thing; every policeman needs a criminal to catch, every superhero needs a supervillian to fight and every Leinster needs a Munster to play - it provides that little extra oompf to a match and I presume allows the teams involved in the derby to focus on the 'win' as being important.

As to some of the other points in the thread: sure, there's a lot of big talk/inaccurate analysis of the match at the stadium on matchday - I've often gone home and watched the match again on TV and realised I had missed something very important on the pitch or booed the 'foul that wasn't'. That's normal... not something to do with the rivalry or the wrong class of spectator. Unless I'm missing something, it's silly to get riled by it, tbh, it's no worse then banter on the Stands. In fact I'd call it part of the fun.

As a Leinster Supporter I have to admit a lot of people are much more magnanimous then me. I don't wish any harm to Munster, but I'm not suddenly waving a red flag and hoping they win the HC just because we're knocked out. I don't follow Munster at all in the same way I don't follow Ulster... I don't like either's playing style at the moment and they're not my home team. It would be a bit hypocritical of me to start cheering for either one in any competition until they start playing an enjoyable (purely from my perspective) brand of rugby. Connacht, on the other hand, is a tremendous joy to watch and, if we're talking about HC teams this year, London Irish have had the most enjoyable matches this year. Since I've been supporting LI during the Guinness Premiership (and cringing at some of the losses) they're my choice to support - though some of the other English teams have been nearly as enjoyable.

It's not soreness or jealousy that makes me not support the Munster rugby team... it's the Munster rugby team itself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ah to be fair the rivalrey is harmless. It's only that it is so close to home that there are bragging rights at stake. I think every Leinster supporter has a few Munster mates (as a lot live and work in Dublin) and I'm sure a lot of Munster men have Leinster mates (although I'm sure there's a lot less of us down their neck of the woods), but there's a lot of history between the sides, ranging from obviously countless inter-pro games, to the professional era with the first real head to head outside of inter-pro competition in the ML play-off final to the games in the League each year, then of course that famous day in 2006 in Lansdowne road, of course there's going to be a rivalrey there.

In fairness, on the form, not just domestic form, but over the last year or 2, I'd rate Leinster better than at least 5 of the quarter-final HC teams this year, which means we've got 2 of the best domestic teams and 2 of the best teams in Europe and 2 next door neighbours playing eachother at least twice a year and both winning silverware, I think it's great and long may it continue.

At the end of the day, the differnce between a Football supporter and a Rugby supporter is that Footbal fans riot and fight eachother, Rugby fans have banter and rival fans always enjoy a beer together after the game in the local pubs.

As for supporting Munster, I would support Munster ahead of anyone else this year in the HC for the simple reason that I cheer half these guys on every year in the Irish games, and they're an Irish team, so of course I want to seem them do well. After all, they're the second best team in Ireland! :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think its been quite healthy of late for Leinster specifically. When you look at the increased support of late, it can partly be traced back to when Leinster lost to Munster in Lansdowne while their support was being drowned out. It was almost as if a lot of people decided "here, this isn't on" and took a more active interest in the team. I think it had helped grow the sport in general, which can only be good news.

However, there is certainly a mildly annoying and occasionally nasty element to it which I hope we won't see grow. It can be annoying having people come out of the woodwork for just the Leinster/Munster games and professing an incredible knowledge of the other teams faults etc., but I suppose that's readonably inevitable and if they end up continually following a team then that's a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

As a Munster supporter I just wish that Leinster would win the HCup - then everyone would be on an equal pegging again. Since 'Black Sunday';) I think there is a sort of soccer type feel to the rivalry - something which I never noticed until then and mainly coming from younger people in the 18-25 age group - I've watched Munster HCup games in Dublin pubs where Munster's opposition was being cheered on by lads wearing Leinster jerseys. It was so bad on one occasion that an older bloke wearing a Blackrock Jersey went over and told them to shut up. No doubt Leinster supporters have come across the same type of situation with Munster supporters.

That said, I was in a well known Dublin rugby pub when Munster played Wasps recently and the roof nearly came off it with the cheers when Dayglo got sent off. :D

• Advertisement

The one I really hate is the stereotype that it's working man versus rich man. I mean Munster fans are hardly nackers. There's a few Limerick heads who wouldn't be too familiar with the big words but the majority are hardly nackers and the majority of their team come from fee paying rugby schools - eh hardly working class, whatever that is in one of the richest economies in the world.

Some very classy comments here - 'knackers', 'Limerick heads familiar with big words' :rolleyes:

Its quite possible that a few of the Munster players got sports scholarships for those private schools. Think DOC would be a plasterer working with his brother if he wasn't a pro rugby player, Keith Earls (whose father played for Munster) is from Moyross, and there are a few plumbers/electricians / farmers in the squad. Don't think that has happened in Leinster - the nearest would have been Trevor Brennan and look what happened to him!

As for the support, you will find that it is very mixed support in Munster - you will get tradesmen who do earn a good living and so can afford all these away trips. Leinster does not really get the same GAA /Dubs type support that Munster get - well not yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

You should be glad of the passion of traditional rivalries. In NZ we are all bemoaning the state of the Super 14 where gates are pathetic and TV audience dropping through the floor. A lot of the blame is being put on a lack of traditional rivalries and connection to the "mixed" franchises. One of the big differences I see in this forum is the passion and from the number of questions about tickets it seems clear that Irish supporters are still keen on going to the games.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    At the end of the day, the differnce between a Football supporter and a Rugby supporter is that Footbal fans riot and fight eachother, Rugby fans have banter and rival fans always enjoy a beer together after the game in the local pubs.
    :p

I'm sorry but again i have to disagree with that statement. I would guess 99% of football fans are well behaved. It's the other 1% who are generally delinquents (be they working class or middle class) who engage in the acts that you describe. I have gone and drank in opposing fans pubs many a time without rioting and fighting.

I would agree that football has an unwanted element that attach themselves to clubs, they are not considered true fans of the game.

well that's fair enough, and I don't mean to tar all football fans with the same brush and absolutley agree it's a tiny minority who cause actual trouble.

But I just mean the general "banter" between rival fans in the sport is different. In football when an away team player runs up to take a corner kick, week in week out you will see the fans behind him screaming abuse and doing the "wan*er" mosion with their hands...whereas in Rugby when an away teams gets a line out up at the home teams 5 metre line, it's generally just frantic cheering and encouragment from the home fans for their team rather than abusing the visiting team.

Just things like that, and in general rivalrys between fans and teams dont seem to be as in good spirit, more nasty...I don't know, I suppose in rugby there's just more of an underlining respect for your oppenent despite the war going on on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The rivalry is great.. It's the twats that it brings that the interpros bring out that's the problem. Province X saying Province Y are crap (but have been to 2 matches all year).

well that's fair enough, and I don't mean to tar all football fans with the same brush and absolutley agree it's a tiny minority who cause actual trouble.

But I just mean the general "banter" between rival fans in the sport is different. In football when an away team player runs up to take a corner kick, week in week out you will see the fans behind him screaming abuse and doing the "wan*er" mosion with their hands...whereas in Rugby when an away teams gets a line out up at the home teams 5 metre line, it's generally just frantic cheering and encouragment from the home fans for their team rather than abusing the visiting team.

Just things like that, and in general rivalrys between fans and teams dont seem to be as in good spirit, more nasty...I don't know, I suppose in rugby there's just more of an underlining respect for your oppenent despite the war going on on the pitch.

agreed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its quite possible that a few of the Munster players got sports scholarships for those private schools. Think DOC would be a plasterer working with his brother if he wasn't a pro rugby player, Keith Earls (whose father played for Munster) is from Moyross, and there are a few plumbers/electricians / farmers in the squad. Don't think that has happened in Leinster - the nearest would have been Trevor Brennan and look what happened to him!
    yeah, those in the trades are really scrapping by.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

As for the support, you will find that it is very mixed support in Munster - you will get tradesmen who do earn a good living and so can afford all these away trips. Leinster does not really get the same GAA /Dubs type support that Munster get - well not yet!

Plenty of Leinster players would have gone to the better rugby schools on the back of sports scholarships - you can hardly say the likes of Horgan were "born into it". The myth of Munster being working class is just that - a myth. The make-up of the squads with regards to their background is quite similar. Mind you, none of that actually matters to me.

As regards support - Leinster get a larger base support then Munster and it covers many sections of society (hell, I'm a Leinster supporter from D5 and I've brought many a friend from the area to games and they've loved it). Ultimately, the provinces are fairly similar with regards support etc.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ultimately, the provinces are fairly similar with regards support etc.

Very true,as a Munster man the myth of the working class heroes who turn out to line the terraces of Thomond to worship their team really irks me...The social profile of the average Munster supporter is pretty similar to Leinster, Ulster or Connacht...There are very few paupers following Munster, its a bloody expensive and demanding business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

You should be glad of the passion of traditional rivalries. In NZ we are all bemoaning the state of the Super 14 where gates are pathetic and TV audience dropping through the floor. A lot of the blame is being put on a lack of traditional rivalries and connection to the "mixed" franchises. One of the big differences I see in this forum is the passion and from the number of questions about tickets it seems clear that Irish supporters are still keen on going to the games.

This is so true. I was at my last Leinster game in Dec, sice then I have seen the Qld Reds ( Union ) and the Brisbane Broncos ( league ).
    The Reds are suffering huge $ losses and less than 12k are going to home games played in a 52k cap stad. There is no atmosphere, or sense of passion about fans, and very few away fans travel.
    Even the Bronco who are top of the NRL, games are flat. Cheering only for big hits, breaks or scores, otherwise pretty tame buzz and certainly no seense of passion you get at home.

Even the local derby that was 40k odd between the North Qld Cowboys had no atmos and would have come no where near to the atmos at the recent Leinster game.

Going to games is much more enjoyable at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Yes, don't you just hate it when negative stereotypes get bandied about. ;)

The rivalry is a good thing overall i feel. Munster v Leinster does have a sense of occasion about it, and draws in the numbers more so than any other game, certainly in the ML.

I can't see it develop to the point of each sets of fans throwing petrol bombs at each other just yet, but who knows with all us limerick skangers about. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's a great time for irish rugby. The gate receipts for leinster are incredible this year. There's alot more mainstream interest in the last few years:)

As a Munster supporter I just wish that Leinster would win the HCup - then everyone would be on an equal pegging again. Since 'Black Sunday';) I think there is a sort of soccer type feel to the rivalry - something which I never noticed until then and mainly coming from younger people in the 18-25 age group - I've watched Munster HCup games in Dublin pubs where Munster's opposition was being cheered on by lads wearing Leinster jerseys. It was so bad on one occasion that an older bloke wearing a Blackrock Jersey went over and told them to shut up. No doubt Leinster supporters have come across the same type of situation with Munster supporters.

That said, I was in a well known Dublin rugby pub when Munster played Wasps recently and the roof nearly came off it with the cheers when Dayglo got sent off. :D

I was in a rathfarnham pub when Munster won the HC. The whole pub cheered them on like it was the Irish team playing. Really good aethmosphere... as good as any match I've watched.

Some very classy comments here - 'knackers', 'Limerick heads familiar with big words' :rolleyes:

Its quite possible that a few of the Munster players got sports scholarships for those private schools. Think DOC would be a plasterer working with his brother if he wasn't a pro rugby player
    DOC went to a private school in Cork and then third level in CIT. It's a typical example of the silly myth that Munster are something even close to a working class team.
    Munster gets great support for some of the HC game and then they disappear for the ML. The GAA fans join the gang for the big HC games that's it.

Something similar happened in Jack Charlton era. Everyone all of a sudden wanted to go and see Ireland play and sing Ole Ole Ole. But nothing really changed in the League of Ireland, attendances were still low. People like to be associated with success and its no different with Munster fans, it's the human condition.

That's what it is, not some magical affinity life long affinity with the fans. If that was the case, you'd have a few more going the ML and less glamourous ties. Argentinian fans turn up and shouted like crazy for tests last year that was effectively Ireland A versus Argentina A, it was great to see. I think we could all (leinster and munster fans) look out and learn something from others.

As for Dublin fans, well hill 16 would make any Limerick fan look posh.

This really is all so stupid. I am beginning to think David McWilliams will start reading these threads and put us all into silly little boxes.

You should be glad of the passion of traditional rivalries.

Couple of weeks back Justin Marshall wrote an excellent article for one of the English Sundays on this very topic...think it was the Observer, making that point. I'll see if I can ferret it out.

He maintained that the s14 is stagnant, largely because its too incestuous and limited. Said that the HC was light years ahead. I must say watching the S14 this year its an extremely flat affair playing to what appear to be half empty stadia...is it the ELV's or are people just jaded?

Here tis...interesting stuff:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/03/30/heineken_cup_proves_its_grim_d.html

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Plenty of Leinster players would have gone to the better rugby schools on the back of sports scholarships - you can hardly say the likes of Horgan were "born into it". The myth of Munster being working class is just that - a myth. The make-up of the squads with regards to their background is quite similar. Mind you, none of that actually matters to me.

As regards support - Leinster get a larger base support then Munster and it covers many sections of society (hell, I'm a Leinster supporter from D5 and I've brought many a friend from the area to games and they've loved it). Ultimately, the provinces are fairly similar with regards support etc.

I'd agree with you - I wouldn't exactly think that all Leinster players or supporters were actually born with a silver spoon in their mouths... but Tim Robbins posted that just because the Munster players went to private schools they must come from wealthy backgrounds.
    Tim Robbins: The one I really hate is the stereotype that it's working man versus rich man. I mean Munster fans are hardly nackers. There's a few Limerick heads who wouldn't be too familiar with the big words but the majority are hardly nackers and the majority of their team come from fee paying rugby schools - eh hardly working class, whatever that is in one of the richest economies in the world. Seriously, may I continue to rant, if Munster fans were really struggling to pay the bills, where do they get all their money to go to Heineken cup games? from Santa?

I just wonder is it Tim Robbins himself who has created the stereotype - Munster GAA would have largely the same support as Munster rugby - no one goes on about Munster GAA as working class heroes, do they? More just ordinary culchies maybe :D

Last year, I watched Leinster's Magner's title League decider in a bar in the heartland of Leinster rugby (2 of the Leinster players would have gone to two schools within half a mile of the pub (Girv & Hickie). Most of the people in there would have been tradesmen. One telly was devoted to the rugby, while the other 3 tvs had Sunderland v. Barnsley (I think), a Coca-Cola championship game. Most people were watching the soccer. That would not be the case in a Limerick bar if Munster were playing, particuarly a game where they might have won the Magner's League.

Leinster have got this middle class label - Munster didn't give it to Leinster - so it would be nice if you stopped blaming Munster for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Leinster have got this middle class label - Munster didn't give it to Leinster - so it would be nice if you stopped blaming Munster for that!

Nah we can blame Paul Howard for taking that to a new level. I dunno but I actually think that some Munster fans think it all true.

In relation to the working man vs rich guy argument, what Tim Robbins is saying is true, both Leinster and Munster have a huge proportion of fee paying school people. Anyway I think the rivalries great and the banter with the fans, maybe taken to far at times, but good for rugby in Ireland.

DOC went to a private school in Cork and then third level in CIT. It's a typical example of the silly myth that Munster are something even close to a working class team.

Sure he went to a private school (could have been a scholarship for all you know). Most people nowadays go onto 3rd level education. Ireland is now a prosperious country. Most of DOC's father's generation probably left school at 14. In Dublin you will find that rugby was played by the professional classes only. Have you read Trevor Brennan's book? By the way, isn't one of Peter Stringer's nickname 'Posh Peanut'. Seems strange to be singled out for being 'posh' in a posh squad don't you think?
    Munster gets great support for some of the HC game and then they disappear for the ML. The GAA fans join the gang for the big HC games that's it.

Well, I'm sure some Munster supporters might be like me - live in Dublin and find it a bit hard to get to Cork on a Friday night for 7.30. However, I suppose by going to Leinster Magner's games, we are supporting the Magner's League - just we get credited as being Leinster support ;) By the way, Musgrave bar the first few games when the world cup was on, has been a sell-out this year! If Munster want to fill the new Thomond, they better not have any games at 7.30pm on a Friday night.
    Something similar happened in Jack Charlton era. Everyone all of a sudden wanted to go and see Ireland play and sing Ole Ole Ole. But nothing really changed in the League of Ireland, attendances were still low. People like to be associated with success and its no different with Munster fans, it's the human condition.

I think we support differently here - for myself, brought up on the tribal parish, county, province country system., I find it hard to go off and support a team that I have no tribal connection with, so that is why I wouldn't be to interested in the League of Ireland. I'd be on for entertainment at this stage - so I prefer to watch Arsensal than Bohs!
    That's what it is, not some magical affinity life long affinity with the fans. If that was the case, you'd have a few more going the ML and less glamourous ties. Argentinian fans turn up and shouted like crazy for tests last year that was effectively Ireland A versus Argentina A, it was great to see. I think we could all (leinster and munster fans) look out and learn something from others.

Well, the parish I'm from has a population of about 1,200, it has a great GAA club and on a Saturday evening, you will find about 4-500 (nearly half the parish, shouting on their team that hasn't won anything in a long time). Get off your soap box please.
    As for Dublin fans, well hill 16 would make any Limerick fan look posh. This really is all so stupid. I am beginning to think David McWilliams will start reading these threads and put us all into silly little boxes.

So you are turning up your nose at Dublin fans! Very telling. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

lads as i stated before, im playing in Italy for a year while on erasmus.

home games every odd week away even...im playing for a regional team and at our home games we have maybe 600-900 supporters. having never played in this kind of atmosphere its incredible. you can only appreciate this kind of fan presence when your on the pitch and hear them roar and shout anytime you do something well. the opposition fans are never near the same numbers we have. its incredible. the sense of communtiy and spirit around the games is immense. kids come to watch their fathers, brother or uncles play and its made into a real fmaily environment. if swearing is heard the offender is quickley reminded about the kids. the opposition are only the opposition on the field after the game they and their fans will head to the bar and have a few beers and with us no matter what the result. the banter is always great and a few jabs will be taken but nothing is malicious...it is i suppose the true rugby community. i think ive been very lucky to experience this.

Sure like all passionate italians they loose the plot sometimes but the encouragement for the team never faulters. its fantastic. i have two games left here before the season finishes. (and just to clarify we are nowhere near the top of the league but mid table.) im not sure if i want to go back and play at home!.........

Last year, I watched Leinster's Magner's title League decider in a bar in the heartland of Leinster rugby (2 of the Leinster players would have gone to two schools within half a mile of the pub (Girv & Hickie). Most of the people in there would have been tradesmen. One telly was devoted to the rugby, while the other 3 tvs had Sunderland v. Barnsley (I think), a Coca-Cola championship game. Most people were watching the soccer. That would not be the case in a Limerick bar if Munster were playing, particuarly a game where they might have won the Magner's League.
    Oh don't give me that. If it was ML there it wouldn't even make one tv in Munster because it's not a serious competition ;)

• Advertisement

Sure he went to a private school (could have been a scholarship for all you know). Most people nowadays go onto 3rd level education. Ireland is now a prosperious country.
    Exactly, we're all roughly the same. There is more difference between Ballymun and Foxrock then there is between Leinster and Munster. It really is stupid to think there's a major difference between Munster and Leinster, it's like arguing there's a major difference between Dalkey and Howth. There isn't.
    Most of DOC's father's generation probably left school at 14. In Dublin you will find that rugby was played by the professional classes only. Have you read Trevor Brennan's book? By the way, isn't one of Peter Stringer's nickname 'Posh Peanut'. Seems strange to be singled out for being 'posh' in a posh squad don't you think?
    Oh come on now. First it's DOC then you have to move onto is Dad, then I could pick a Leinster player who's Dad was the same, it's just absolute nonsense.

I think we support differently here - for myself, brought up on the tribal parish, county, province country system., I find it hard to go off and support a team that I have no tribal connection with, so that is why I wouldn't be to interested in the League of Ireland. I'd be on for entertainment at this stage - so I prefer to watch Arsensal than Bohs!
    Nonsense, you give it all this growing up on the parish and then tell us you support Arsensal. You're irrational.
    So you are turning up your nose at Dublin fans! Very telling. ;)
    Yes some of the ones on the hill I definetly would. They are racist biggots and yes the make the toughest Limerick fan look posh. Go to a few games on Hill 16, stand in the middle and you'll see what I mean.

Basically since the Irish economy has taken off the underclass are all immigrants. Unfortunately that's the way it is. There the ones on the minimum paids jobs, they're the ones with the lowest property ownership, they're the ones who can't vote in General elections, they're the ones with little to no political representation, they're the ones who children cannot be guarenteed citizenship, they're the ones who kids can't get into many of our schools. Working class Munster fans pondering their way around Europe on big weekends, flashing the yoyo's. The hard *ss working men - me b*llox.

Well, I'm sure some Munster supporters might be like me - live in Dublin and find it a bit hard to get to Cork on a Friday night for 7.30. However, I suppose by going to Leinster Magner's games, we are supporting the Magner's League - just we get credited as being Leinster support ;) By the way, Musgrave bar the first few games when the world cup was on, has been a sell-out this year! If Munster want to fill the new Thomond, they better not have any games at 7.30pm on a Friday night.

Ah now I don't think Munster fans can take any credit for Leinster support this year, haha, not surprised you'd try though!! :p

As for Musgrave, afaik, it's only been sold out twice all year, Vs Leinster and Vs. Edinburgh (?? for some strange reason), but the average attendance for Munster games in Musgrave is close to capacity, about 7,000 where as the capacity is 8,500.

But it is in Cork and I'd say it's not easy to get from Limerick to Cork on a Friday night in rush hour. But what about the non-Limerick support? Is there no fan base in Cork?

This season, with the exception of Leicster (17,000), Leinster has been the best supported rugby team in the UK & Ireland, tied with Gloucster with an average attendance of 14,500 for home domestic league matches. Should be hopefully in the region of 15,000 after the Dragons game.

Couldn't find figures for top 14, but I'd imagine Leinster is in the top 5 best supported clubs in Europe in their respective domestic leagues.

Oh don't give me that. If it was ML there it wouldn't even make one tv in Munster because it's not a serious competition ;)

You could be right if there was nothing to play for .... but if it was the ML winner decider, I'm sure Munster fans would work up a bit of enthusiasm :rolleyes:

You could be right if there was nothing to play for .... but if it was the ML winner decider, I'm sure Munster fans would work up a bit of enthusiasm :rolleyes:

Can you name the match, Leinster weren't in a ML winner decider game last season?

Exactly, we're all roughly the same. There is more difference between Ballymun and Foxrock then there is between Leinster and Munster. It really is stupid to think there's a major difference between Munster and Leinster, it's like arguing there's a major difference between Dalkey and Howth. There isn't.

Your dead right about a major difference between Munster & Leinster. Outside of Dublin, the Leinster supporters would have a lot in common with the Munster supporters :)

Oh come on now. First it's DOC then you have to move onto is Dad, then I could pick a Leinster player who's Dad was the same, it's just absolute nonsense.

So, give me a Keith Earls equivalent - from Moyross and Dad played for Munster? Any Leinster players from Ballymun whose Dad played for Leinster?
    Nonsense, you give it all this growing up on the parish and then tell us you support Arsensal. You're irrational.

Sorry for misleading you there - I don't support Arsenal actually - just like to watch them play. Entertainment value. I'd be more of a follower (not supporter, mind) of Man Utd.
    Yes some of the ones on the hill I definetly would. They are racist biggots and yes the make the toughest Limerick fan look posh. Go to a few games on Hill 16, stand in the middle and you'll see what I mean.

I always find the Dublin fans hugely entertaining. Love when Dublin gets beaten though :D
    Basically since the Irish economy has taken off the underclass are all immigrants. Unfortunately that's the way it is. There the ones on the minimum paids jobs, they're the ones with the lowest property ownership, they're the ones who can't vote in General elections, they're the ones with little to no political representation, they're the ones who children cannot be guarenteed citizenship, they're the ones who kids can't get into many of our schools. Working class Munster fans pondering their way around Europe on big weekends, flashing the yoyo's. The hard *ss working men - me b*llox.

Who claimed that the Munster support was all working class? Thats rubbish. The thing about Munster Rugby is that its all classes!

Can you name the match, Leinster weren't in a ML winner decider game last season?

Was it Os v. Leinster? Shaggy was very indisciplined. Wasn't taking huge interest in it.

Ah now I don't think Munster fans can take any credit for Leinster support this year, haha, not surprised you'd try though!! :p

Well, out of a group of about 8 of us who go on a regular basis to Leinster matches, 5 are Leinster supporters and 3 are from Munster. We don't wear any Munster colours to the games btw.:)
    As for Musgrave, afaik, it's only been sold out twice all year, Vs Leinster and Vs. Edinburgh (?? for some strange reason), but the average attendance for Munster games in Musgrave is close to capacity, about 7,000 where as the capacity is 8,500.

But it is in Cork and I'd say it's not easy to get from Limerick to Cork on a Friday night in rush hour. But what about the non-Limerick support? Is there no fan base in Cork?

Well, I suppose like Dublin, there are a lot of things going on on a Friday night in Cork - dogs, soccer, etc. Might improve when the facilities are upgraded, just like moving to the RDS helped Leinster. And of course Cork is much smaller than Dublin :)
    This season, with the exception of Leicster (17,000), Leinster has been the best supported rugby team in the UK & Ireland, tied with Gloucster with an average attendance of 14,500 for home domestic league matches. Should be hopefully in the region of 15,000 after the Dragons game.

Couldn't find figures for top 14, but I'd imagine Leinster is in the top 5 best supported clubs in Europe in their respective domestic leagues.

Just wonder, how many would you get if Leinster played home games in Kilkenny on a Friday night or even on a Saturday afternoon?

Was it Os v. Leinster? Shaggy was very indisciplined. Wasn't taking huge interest in it.
    Are you the type of bloke who spews of opinions without checking the facts?

DOC, ML, Only like parish teams but support Arsenal, I am seeing a pattern...

Enjoy your weekend!

I always find the Dublin fans hugely entertaining. Love when Dublin gets beaten though :D
    Yes some of them are good craic, the racism and biggotry ain't on though.
    Who claimed that the Munster support was all working class? Thats rubbish. The thing about Munster Rugby is that its all classes!
    The media claim there is the working class / middle class dichotomy, which is just lazy stupid journalism.

Leinster Rugby has a major bend to the middle classes, Munster rugby also has a bend but not to the same degree.

A disportionate of both teams come from private schools, Leinster's it's about 90%, Munster it's probably about 60%. In both cases it's well about the national average of people from private schools which is about 10%.

In both Leinster and Munster, Soccer has a way higher representation of the lower socio-economic background, but as I was saying this is all nonsense talk as Irish people are relatively quite rich, it's the immigrants who form the underclasses and the people who are getting marginalised, economically and politically.

Now go get yourself a beer and enjoy your weekend.

Are you the type of bloke who spews of opinions without checking the facts?

DOC, ML, Only like parish teams but support Arsenal, I am seeing a pattern...

Enjoy your weekend!

Just because you think/write it, doesn't mean its true.

I just recounted my experience of being in the bar of a pub in Terenure (which would be a rugby part of Dublin), where most people in there preferred to watch soccer than Leinster playing rugby. I'm not a Leinster supporter as such, so I don't need to know every score, watch every game etc. etc.

As I've clarified for you, I don't support Arsenal, but I think its harmless enough to prefer to watch them rather than a local team like Bohs. A little bit like some Leinster supporters would claim that it hurts their eyes to watch Munster play - they expect to be entertained ;)

You really like to generalise, don't you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement