Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reserving a reg for an import

Options
  • 17-04-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know how I would go about reserving a reg number for a car which I will be importing?

I tried ringing the numerous VRO offices since Monday but NONE of them ...and I mean NONE answer their phones .... I tried ringing them all and eventually got through to one in carlow and they gave me some number to call. - I tried calling the number but it just makes funny fax noises! :mad:

I tried ringing back to verify the number and wouldn't you know it, no answer!

They are so useless, you'd think they'd jump at the chance to get their mits on my €315 for minimal effort.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

www.revenue.ie/forms/vrt15a.pdf

Fill that in, post it to the revenue with your cheque for €315. They'll either send you a confirmation letter telling you you have the reg, or they'll post you your cheque back.

If you can get through to them at 053 913 3750 and you're really nice, they'll often tell you if a reg is available before you send your paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Thanks for that AudiChris.

Would you or anyone know;

If I were to be succesfull in reserving my number (which is about 2,000 numbers up from current issue) .... Am i right in thinking i wont be able to VRT it until that number is reached?

...Also what impact would this have with driving around on English plates until my number comes up??

...And what if the number only comes up after July?? - would I be paying VRT on CC or CO2 :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

C_Breeze wrote: »
    ...Also what impact would this have with driving around on English plates until my number comes up??
    You were driving around on English plates for long enough before to know what the risks are.

JHMEG wrote: »
    You were driving around on English plates for long enough before to know what the risks are.

Zing! :D

But this time I want to know if it will be Legal to drive around on English plates after i have paid my €315 reservation and am just waiting for my number to come up .... wouldnt want my gorgeous RX-8 confiscated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

no it wont be, you'll not be able to drive it until you get your numbr plate, it will be confiscated if you drive it on english plates for long enough and get caught.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    no it wont be, you'll not be able to drive it until you get your numbr plate, it will be confiscated if you drive it on english plates for long enough and get caught.

Thanks,

Well that would put me off tbh, It seems such a hassle for a money making system that could be so easily simplified.

It would be great if you could just go in on the day, pick you reg number and pay an extra 315 premium ontop of the vrt cost.

Bureaucracy at its finest! :rolleyes:

But this time I want to know if it will be Legal to drive around on English plates
    Why would it be legal?:rolleyes:

JHMEG wrote: »
    WTF would it be legal?:rolleyes:

Because, I have paid to have a number reserved and it is not a factor that I can control if they issue me with the number now or if i have to wait for it!! ....

Ideally i too would like it pay my VRT immediately but due to an overly complicated bureaucratic system its not my fault that I have to wait

Totally illogical system

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It would be great if you could just go in on the day, pick you reg number and pay an extra 315 premium ontop of the vrt cost.

But then you could register and drive 00-D-999999 immediately, which would remove the point of having the system they have in place. But if you mean a number that could be used immediately (i.e. one that is not above the number of cars registered), then I agree.

Because, I have paid to have a number reserved and it is not a factor that I can control if they issue me with the number now or if i have to wait for it!! ....
    So what if you'vre reserved a number? You think they'd be happy enough for you to drive around on foreign plates and defer paying VRT? Is that naive or what! You just come out with some funny stuff sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ideally i too would like it pay my VRT immediately but due to an overly complicated bureaucratic system its not my fault that I have to wait

Totally illogical system

You can pay the VRT straight away, put you can't drive legally till your number comes up. How do you think people who buy new cars do it? They can't take their new car onto the road till the number they reserved comes up.

Advertisement