Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie in the year 2020 ... what will it be like?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Greeting ladies and gentlemen.

I have been thinking about how boards.ie might evolve and change with advancing technology over the coming years. I'm not talking about "thanks" buttons or additional pacman smilies etc. I'm thinking of what might be possible in about ten years time if technology keeps improving at its current rate. For example, if we have interweb speeds 1000 times faster than now combined with vast improvements in hardware and software, neural nets, 3d monitors and 3d imaging/scanning technology etc etc etc. (might sound far fetched but its coming!).

So what do you think boards.ie will be like in the year 2020, and is there anything you would like to see that technology currently prohibits? (2020 is about the time Ray Kurzweil predicts the singularity btw). I know its a difficult question, but let your imagination run wild!!!

I have a few ideas on this myself, but I'll wait to see what ye lot think :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Video posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Male users will have the ability to sniff the female users underpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Sherifu wrote: »
    Video posts.

Excellent and interesting idea ... how do you see that working?

Btw, but is that possible with current technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I predict that in 2020 people will still be posting about how "unfair" their bans are, and how hard done by they have been by the "conspiracy".

No matter how much technology changes, people tend to stay very much the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gandalf23 wrote: »

Easily possible, just record yourself and upload to youtube, and use tags to imbed the video, thus video posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

3-D cat pics

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

We may be able to post real cats in feedback by then too, which will replicate in every readers display unit, leading to planet of the lolcats. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully though I can see it being the exact same except with a new generation of users

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I predict that in 2020 people will still be posting about how "unfair" their bans are, and how hard done by they have been by the "conspiracy".

No matter how much technology changes, people tend to stay very much the same..

Good point ... have to agree with you there!

Do you think we'll be able to reply to the "fight da powa" brigade with some kinda robocop-mutant-cyber-lolcat that will materialise in 3d and ravage the **** out of people?

More efficient banhammers for mods, so that spammers can be quickly dealt with. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Gandalf23 wrote: »

Crappy quality is available now. Plus it's effort the way Karl Hungus said to do it. I could see it being built into vbulletin and HD+ cameras in all pcs with high speed connections.

Googlesoft - powered by boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ruu will be an actual robot

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

By the year 2020, the knife I've sometimes wanted to stab some users with, will at last be invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

BuffyBot wrote: »
    We may be able to post real cats in feedback by then too, which will replicate in every readers display unit, leading to planet of the lolcats. Good times!
    *shivers and drools*

i see that when you get an infraction it feels like a slap on your writ.
    when band it feels like a punch.
    also, no more mouse clicks or typing, all touchscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Pighead will still be an old ham. Just older & hammier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ability to post from any phone from anywhere in Ireland.
    Posters will take place in real time online discussion with webcams and mic's so users don't have a chance to google for answers before replying.

Boards will be a political party with more votes than the PD's and I might be unbanned from Politics to help out :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Someone in 2020 will dig up this post and go "LMAO!".

Followed by loads of "lol"'s and "+1"'s.

And someone will probably post the 2020 version of rofflecopter. Like roffleflyingcar.

Faith wrote: »
    And someone will probably post the 2020 version of rofflecopter. Like roffleflyingcar.

Nah, we'll go retro, and say roffletram. :pac:

Faith wrote: »
    Someone in 2020 will dig up this post and go "LMAO!".

Followed by loads of "lol"'s and "+1"'s.

[clerks reference]what would you do for the flying car???[clerks reference]:D

in the future there will be no more hackers stealing credit cards and such, just groups of kids going sweeeehhhhhhh and mugging us online.

of course in this interweb world gone mad i'll have a virtual samurai sword :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

CuLT actually has a plan for the longtearm development of boards..

As I understand it, he has been working for the last two years on a way to fully integrate his brain into the boards servers. This project is nearing completion (Hence all the database errors recently)
    Next all he has to do is use some minor (Possibly google banner based) subliminal messages to assert his full control over all the users.
    Apparently research indicates that anybody with a post count of under 1500 is epically vulnerable.
    After the theory is established and with boards as the central hub of his ever expanding techno empire, CuLT will advance across the planet uprooting governments and ruling us all with an iron fist..

Lolcats is futile...

We are the Boards...

Good god. Thats what three days working with 4 hours sleep does.. I think my mind has actually snapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

All the possibilities, by 2020, the site might even becom efficent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Apparently research indicates that anybody with a post count of under 1500 is epically vulnerable.

Grraaaagh, post faster, post faster....

Villain wrote: »
    Ability to post from any phone from anywhere in Ireland.

In theory this is possible now.
    Villain wrote: »
    Posters will take place in real time online discussion with webcams and mic's so users don't have a chance to google for answers before replying.

This is interesting. I definitely think this is possible (integration with Skype etc) and likely to happen in a lot of virtual communities over the next few years.

@ Wazdakka ... this might not be as far fetched as you think. Ray Kurzweil envisages exactly such things by 2020 ... any interested geeks look here and here.

Imagine that ... all boards.ie user consciousnesses uploaded to the site to intermix and expand and learn and exist forever and ever in a wonderful virtual community.

Oh fcuk!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Each post will carry a carbon tax!

Boards.ie will have its own TV show where the posters will read through posts of the week and posters will take part in live debates where cat's aren't allowed to be thrown around the studio, in fact it will probably replace the Late Late show.

Boards will become a super consumer group i.e. boards co op where users get discount based on the number of posts and date registered. Subscriptions will rise to 1,000 a year and will be on an invited basis only as the popularity of boards after their Live TV show will reach huge numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AI moderators will have replaced human moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'll be replaced by more "energy efficient" models. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The text generation will have grown up and no one will be able to spell anymore, so evry1 wl pst lk dis. Although boards will have the additional speak-your-posts service, which will have a breathy sexy voice that will recite posts to you if you really cant be bothered reading them anyway.

AH will have its own, separate forum, where full scale nude pics of Yore Ma are permitted.

And the mods will be able to remotely administer electric shock treatment to anyone who p's them off. Bansticks will be so passé.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    I'll be replaced by more "energy efficient" models. :(
    Never :)

Advertisement