Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camper Van VW 1968

• 17-04-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Please can you advise,
    I am thinking about buying a VW camper van, I have no experience of owning one before and have been told to do my research before I take this decision.
    I have looked up the web and read as much as I can and have spoken to someone who owns a VW but I am still unsure if I should take the plunge.

If anyway has one could they let me know the following.

1) What is it like on juice
    2) Are they reliable
    3) should I spend as much as I can up front and get a good spec
    4) Are they practical
    5) am I mad to think about purchasing one.

Myself and the husband like to camp but find with the weather it can be difficult (not that were fair weather campers) I think with the van we would get alot of use out of it.
    We also have a baby on the way so this van would be a second car for me and the little one.

Anyway any sound advice would be really welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

i had a similar idea last year and looked and drove a few Vw Campers. They look lovely and have generated a lot of interest. I liked the look but from a practical point of view , I found them to be quite pokey and small inside. The petrol ones I believe are quite juicy and the diesel's can be a bit noisy but would be much more economical. I would say they would be nice for a day or two but couldnt see myself and kids spending more than a weekend in one.
    In the end I purchased a bigger camper , 1992 it cost around the same as a decent Vw. The only advantage the VW would have over this one, is that I may use it as a day car a bit more, but overall I am happy with my decision. Should you decide to buy one, test drive a few and talk to a few owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Does it need to be a VW camper? For the money I think they can be quiet expensive to buy, hard to find a good one and a bit on the small side. There's alternatives out there, even the newer type VWs are possibly more practical & reliable. There a club called Typetwoireland.org that might be of interest. I'm sure you could contact them and ask a few of the practical questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

VW vans make great campers as the rear engine gives a lot of interior space.
    Having said that, the older models are a bit cramped compared to the newer, square ones.

Sizewise they are ideal for the dual role of daily driver / camper. I've had two in a row (the square one) in exactly that role for 15 years.

Would I recommend a '68 model to a young mother with child as a second vehicle?

Like hell I would ...

You're looking at a 40 year old car. There will always be something going wrong (most likely on the day when Baby has a doctors appointment). Parts are still plentiful, but you won't get them at a drop of a hat. The aircooled engines have a bit of a drinking habit, especially when town driving. Safety is a bit iffy at this stage, so are the controls, steering and brakes which aren't quite up to modern standards.

These vehicles have great charm (also reflected in sometimes silly asking prices), but I'd only take one on as a hobby , not as a workhorse.

There are plenty of newer (and often cheaper) alternatives out there that will serve you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Poppy Dog

Many thanks for the sound advice, Its breaking my heart to say it but I think I may leave well enough alone and not purchase the van :(

Advertisement