Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercedes warranty issue on 12 day old vehicle

Options
  • 17-04-2008 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I recently purchased a brand Mercedes Sprinter to replace my old one. A couple of days ago the whole back axle seized up on it after owning it twelve days. I contacted the Mercedes dealer where I purchased it and they towed it away and delivered a temporary replacement.
    They reported that the problem was caused by a rubber bung which covers the inspection hole in the axle coming dislodged and the oil in the axle subsequently leaking out. This caused the gears in the axle to heat up and wear themselves down which in turn seized the axle.
    I have spoken to the dealer since and they have been extremely helpful. They have replaced the axle with that of a doner vehicle in their yard for the time being while a new axle is being delivered. The dealer informed since that they have contacted Mercedes themselves here in Ireland and they state that they do not intend to cover this fault under warrenty.
    The garage have told me that they do not see why this should not be covered and they will push Mercedes to cover it.
    Can anyone please give me some advice on this issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

mcasey wrote: »
    I recently purchased a brand Mercedes Sprinter to replace my old one. A couple of days ago the whole back axle seized up on it after owning it twelve days. I contacted the Mercedes dealer where I purchased it and they towed it away and delivered a temporary replacement.
    They reported that the problem was caused by a rubber bung which covers the inspection hole in the axle coming dislodged and the oil in the axle subsequently leaking out. This caused the gears in the axle to heat up and wear themselves down which in turn seized the axle.
    I have spoken to the dealer since and they have been extremely helpful. They have replaced the axle with that of a doner vehicle in their yard for the time being while a new axle is being delivered. The dealer informed since that they have contacted Mercedes themselves here in Ireland and they state that they do not intend to cover this fault under warrenty.
    The garage have told me that they do not see why this should not be covered and they will push Mercedes to cover it.

You might be better off trying here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

mcasey wrote: »

One bit of advice is that your contract is with the garage. Their contract is with the supplier. If the supplier doesn't honour the contract to the garage that's not your problem. It's up to the garage to honour your contract. So they can blame the supplier but just because they don't get it replaced doesn't mean you don't have any options.

I'd say you have a pretty good case for getting your money back. Probably not what you want to do but it's there as an option if you can't get a replacment or repair for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'd ask for my money back ,whats to say the whole drive train wasn't affected.
    Gearbox ,clutch etc.

Advertisement