Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes - Insulin Pump Real Time Sugar Monitoring

Options
  • 17-04-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I have an insulin pump and am interested in getting the real time monitor that goes with it.
    Has anyone got one or experience of one?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What pump do you have? i haven't heard of a practical real time monitor that works with pumps. I have a minimed paradigm 512, i've seen that more recent models support connection with stand alone blood testers but not a continuous testing capability. It has been a while since i last looked for one, do you have a link to a site?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Yeah i've seen that before, and to be honest, the thought of having another yoke hanging out of me really put me off, Now i've had the experience of wearing one of the monitors that connected wirelessly to a separate blood monitor and i found it incredibly uncomfortable, the "cannula" is metal, unlike the pump which has a thin soft plastic cannula. I'm almost certain the device that connected to me was exactly the same as the one shown in the picture, the only benefit i could see with it, would to use it once a month or so to make sure your levels are okay, but as a permanent thing it would drive me insane. Well that's my tuppence worth anyway:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I didn't think there was any kind of continuous testing device out there at all. Although I seem to remember something about a watch type thing that would work over upto 12 hours with some gel pads or similar.

That pump and monitor setup does look very interesting though. Would you actually wear the monitor continuously though or would that only be every so oftent that you'd go to the bother of seting that up as well?

The other thing would of course be how much of the setup do you have to pay for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

these look good :

https://www.myomnipod.com/

I wonder how long before we get them in this country

• Advertisement

I think the alarm functionality would be a real benefit.
    IF you set it to go off when you drop below 4 and above 10 it could not but assist you.

barrabus wrote: »
    I think the alarm functionality would be a real benefit.
    IF you set it to go off when you drop below 4 and above 10 it could not but assist you.

I completely agree, but at the moment i can't see this technology being practical. It's uncomfortable and quite bulky to wear, it felt no where near as comfortable as the pump does. I can just see it getting very annoying very quickly, would it be provided free to you? or would you have to purchase it yourself?

I completely agree, but at the moment i can't see this technology being practical. It's uncomfortable and quite bulky to wear, it felt no where near as comfortable as the pump does. I can just see it getting very annoying very quickly, would it be provided free to you? or would you have to purchase it yourself?

Currently applying to health board...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 atmmusa

CAn some one tell me how can I apply for it from the health board. Because I currently can't afford it myself,as I heard it is really expensive to buy or even to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

To get a pump you're consultant will need to approve it and then he/she will apply for funding. Depending on what part of the country you are in it could take up to ten months for the funding to come through. It goes to the HSE in your are.

From what I have been told the pump itself costs 5,000 and then 10,000 a year to maintain so most people would have to get it through the HSE.

I'm currently waiting approval for mine and am told i should have it by Feb, so fingers crossed. I have looked into the minimed with the continuous monitoring system and Beumont tell me that only people who really need it get approval so even if you want it you may not get it.

I'm dead nervous about it but hopefully it will be worth the hassle in the end. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

atmmusa wrote: »
    CAn some one tell me how can I apply for it from the health board. Because I currently can't afford it myself,as I heard it is really expensive to buy or even to maintain.

Pump is applied for by the diabetes team at the hospital you attend. it costs around 4000 plus vat which health board will pay.
    You must insure it yourself so if gets damaged you must claim off your own policy... I think that is fair enough it promotes a responsible attitude. Mine is on my house insurance, diabetes ireland may be able to assist if you dont own a home. It might be worth asking you health insurer for an add on.
    In relation to real time monitor system again this is applied for by the diabetes team at the hospital you attend.

If you attend a clinic that isn't promoting the pump, you probably have more hoops to jump through or should think about changing clinic. Good luck!

Advertisement