Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 2003 9.3 1.9tid - high milage advice

Options
  • 17-04-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

HI, Just looking for advice from people who know alot more about cars then me !! There is company car that might becoming available in the next couple of months here in work. I think I will be able to get it at a very good price. It is a 2005 (sorry tried to edit title errow but couldn't) Saab 9.3 1.9tid (diesel), it has 134k on the clock. I know the owner and the history of the car which would have been well looked after and serviced reguralary.
    If I got a very good price with that high mileage would it be worth it, my current car is 10 yr old A4 which I like but need to change soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

They're a good car but they don't really hold their value very well. Couple that with the high mileage and current 2nd hand market you'd really want to make sure that its dirt cheap. As for mileage I think so long as it has been serviced regularly with the right oil and the suspension is alright the car should be ok. Prob best to get a mechanic to look at it tho.

I tend to put more faith in high mileage than low with some cars, especially diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

As per Ferris get it checked out before you buy.

My friend has had two low mileage Saab 9-5's and had trouble with both. Probably not as well built or durable as your Audi IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've just had a look through our system at 4 or 5 2005 9-3 (1.9) Diesels to see if anything major pops up.

1 had an alternator replaced at about 40,000km. 2 had re-occuring problems with window switches and parking sensors. From that info it doesn't look like there is too much wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.9 TiD engine in the Saab 9-3 is a Fiat Multijet unit and regarded as one of the best in the business. However common rail diesel technology is still in it's infancy with regards to reliability and durability.

However as with any high mileage car it is generally wear and tear components that need replacing. The condition of things like gearbox, clutch, suspension, timing belts, brakes, etc should all be checked. On a high mileage car some or most of these components may have had these replaced already at this stage. If not then you could potentially be looking at replacing them and that will cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I think I would be getting it very cheap less then €13k (hopefully) have a friend who is mechanic who could probally check it out. It has had no probs so far and would have been mainly used to go up and down the country as towards city runs (if that makes any difference?) I know the car quite well as it would have been one of the bosses cars who would have looked after it quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Before you buy it have a look and see what else is out there. Like I said they don't hold their value the best so its possible to pick them up for reasonable money.

Do you need a diesel, fella I know bought a 2L Turbo Vector 9-3 and its lovely, very quick too.

Advertisement