Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculously low download speeds [Sky BB]

Options
  • 17-04-2008 2:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on Sky Broadband in Edinburgh with an 8meg line, and I noticed my download speeds are pretty rubbish. I rarely see anything higher than 200kb/s when I'm downloading, while my brother (with a 3meg line with Chorus) says he gets up to 500 kb/s. I ran a speedtest and I got this result:

260516255.png

I rang Sky, who said to change the microfilter, which I did, but it made no difference. Is there anything I can do to improve it myself? It's ASDL.

I don't download much so it's not a huge problem, but I'd like to get my monies worth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

whats your test like with maidenhead or london? since your in the uk, dont test with dublin. no point really.
    if your speeds are so low, and since your on an 8mb with sky bb, then ring sky and ask why the connection is so low. you already changed the filter, which to be honest works a lot of the time, but in your case it didnt.
    give them another shout and dont take any stupid excuse.

as you said, you want your monies worth. if they cant provide a reasonable service then its not right you pay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What is your attenuation and snr? 3/4Mbps may be the best your line is capable of.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think this is a common problem for many UK ISP's who are offering "up to" 8mbit/sec.

I remember there was a campaign of some sort by Gadget Show on five, regarding these optomistic speed offerings. I don't think much came of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Probably all your line is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Sky is up to 8Mb, unless you live in the exchange you wont see anything near that. A friend of mine has it and gets 6Mb, his exchange is across the road, no more than 20 meters. Of course thats not to say his cable length is 20 meters, but thats another story................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

whats your test like with maidenhead or london? since your in the uk, dont test with dublin. no point really.

Dublin's actually the closest by 100 miles, but I tested with Maidenhead and London anyway and got similar results.
    What is your attenuation and snr?

You've lost me there now, Ted.
    Probably all your line is capable of.
    byte wrote: »
    I think this is a common problem for many UK ISP's who are offering "up to" 8mbit/sec.

I remember there was a campaign of some sort by Gadget Show on five, regarding these optomistic speed offerings. I don't think much came of it.
    Sky is up to 8Mb, unless you live in the exchange you wont see anything near that. A friend of mine has it and gets 6Mb, his exchange is across the road, no more than 20 meters. Of course thats not to say his cable length is 20 meters, but thats another story................

Yeah, it's quite probable it's all my line is capable of. I'll ring Sky again and see. When I rang yesterday, I was put through to Mario whose accent I couldn't understand, so it put me off a bit!

At the end of the day, it's only a fiver a month, so it's not like it's costing an arm and a leg!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Your attenuation and snr help are some of the factors that determine what speed your line can get. You'd need to go into the modems settings page (it should be in your manual how to do that) and find them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'd also get more spcific support on a UK forum as our "internet issues" tend to be different (lack of DSL, huge line rental, strange government ... )

Advertisement