Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sexual harasment and abuse at work ( long read )

• 17-04-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

this matter has been sorted now.

thanks for all the advice given.

rmc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's horrible. I think you should speak to a solicitor.

In the meantime she could explain the situation to her GP. He would probably give her a sick note to stay away from work due to stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

firstly - are these names real ? If so, change them and make it clear that they are made up. It's not a great idea to publicly name people - it wont help any case you might bring in the future.

Secondly, it sounds that your girlfriend has been a little slow to defend her rights here, and also sounds like the employer has been slow to do the same and also hasnt dealt with it very well. The employer should not have brought your girlfriend and the other employee together and force him to apologise. They should both be spoken to seperately and then he should be given a formal warning.

My advice is that you should seek legal advice on this ASAP. You may have a case against the employer for failing to act. I would also suggest that your girlfriend write to the employer detailing everything that as happened, stating that she is being harrassed, and requesting that they deal with it. Make that a registered letter, and keep a copy. Puts you in a better position later should you need to take a case against the employer or the individual in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Right... SOLICITOR

IMO she should sue both management and the XXXX for the distress caused over the last few months.

She should start job hunting

Look up Free legal Aid, they have meetings across the country and can offer advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

dublindude wrote: »
    That's horrible. I think you should speak to a solicitor.

In the meantime she could explain the situation to her GP. He would probably give her a sick note to stay away from work due to stress.

i told her what you suggested, and she doesnt want to take time off work. she enjoy's working there as she has lots of friends.
    but saying that, she doesnt deserve the hassle of it.
    m_stan wrote: »
    firstly - are these names real ? If so, change them and make it clear that they are made up. It's not a great idea to publicly name people - it wont help any case you might bring in the future.

Secondly, it sounds that your girlfriend has been a little slow to defend her rights here, and also sounds like the employer has been slow to do the same and also hasnt dealt with it very well. The employer should not have brought your girlfriend and the other employee together and force him to apologise. They should both be spoken to seperately and then he should be given a formal warning.

My advice is that you should seek legal advice on this ASAP. You may have a case against the employer for failing to act. I would also suggest that your girlfriend write to the employer detailing everything that as happened, stating that she is being harrassed, and requesting that they deal with it. Make that a registered letter, and keep a copy. Puts you in a better position later should you need to take a case against the employer or the individual in question.

names changed for legal reasons. thanks.
    im going to the free legal aid tonight to see what they suggest we do.
    MIN2511 wrote: »
    Right... SOLICITOR

IMO she should sue both management and joe bloggs for the distress caused over the last few months.

She should start job hunting

Look up Free legal Aid, they have meetings across the country and can offer advice

going tonight. hopefully she wont need to get another job. she's starting college in september. 4 months away and this happens.
    worst case is she has to look for another job. hopefully they will be resonable about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To lazy to log in but the advice is very simple, next time something happends make a complaint in writing to the head manager outlining previous details preferably with date/time and what was said to show a record of harrassment. If they suggest another apology make clear to the manager that you don't consider this enough and take it to the head office (or solicitor if there is no head office but if you go down the route of solicitor expect that she'll be having a hard time there afterwards).

• Advertisement
Advertisement