Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishing Paul Newton a speedy recovery

Options
  • 17-04-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

I would like to wish the unfortunate Paul Newton (the guy who was viciously assaulted in Belfast last weekend)a speedy recovery and the best of health in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Jabby wrote: »
    I would like to wish the unfortunate Paul Newton (the guy who was viciously assaulted in Belfast last weekend)a speedy recovery and the best of health in the future.

+1

Paul is a sound lad and didn't deserve that.
    Hopefully he'll pull through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Terrible. just a random attack, possibly brought on by wearing a Connacht jersey. Not that a rugby fan would've done it, but it marked him out as being a visitor.
    Hope he pulls through quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A terrible thing to happen.

Thoughts with him and his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Here here, Well said all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Sorry Guys, Anyone have a link? I haven't heard anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0416/newtonp.html

+1 wishing him a speedy recovery also. i dont know the guy (know brothers of his from football) but noone deserves that sort of thing to happen to them. Apparently they have cctv footage of the attack? hopefully the attacker is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

gucci wrote: »

+1 wishing him a speedy recovery also. i dont know the guy (know brothers of his from football) but noone deserves that sort of thing to happen to them. Apparently they have cctv footage of the attack? hopefully the attacker is found.
    drive3331 wrote: »

Thanks guys.

That's terrible! Hope they find the attacker(s).

Hope he pulls through

gucci wrote: »

Hate to be pessemistic, but the british justice system is so flawed that they will most likely get a six month community order and bound to the peace or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Seen the story in the Champion, don't know the guy but hope he makes a full recovery.
    mcgowan.b wrote: »
    Hate to be pessemistic, but the british justice system is so flawed that they will most likely get a six month community order and bound to the peace or something.

Bit of a generalisaion there mac in fairness. Could you guarantee the Irish justice system would deal with the offender or offenders any better. It's down to the individual judges in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sadly another unprovoked attack.

As everyone else has said - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sorry, should have clarified. No I don't think the Irish justice system is any better. I watch the reality programs about the UK police, and granted that they are for entertainment, they have to be factually accurate. The amount of people that get minimal sentences and penalties for crimes they commit is a joke. I guess they just can't afford to house everyone in prison (or have the space for that matter)

I'm sorry to say that I think if the offender is caught, there will be feck all penalties imposed on him. Its just the way it is.

Sad really.
    Seen the story in the Champion, don't know the guy but hope he makes a full recovery.

Bit of a generalisaion there mac in fairness. Could you guarantee the Irish justice system would deal with the offender or offenders any better. It's down to the individual judges in most cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Thoughts for the family. Apparently one of his girls is making her confirmation in a couple of weeks too. Its just too sad. Lets hope for the best and for a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hope he pulls through and has a speedy recovery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, wishing Paul all the best.

Absolutely shocking thing to happen.

The one thing I will say is Paul is a big "strappin" lad and hopefully this will help him to pull through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I didn't know the man personally or as a loacl businessman but I wish him a speedy recovery.
    Thoughts are wish the family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sam66

For those of you who have wished Paul Newton and his family well, I just want you all to know as of today Paul is breathing by himself, but is still critical and will still need your special thoughts.ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lizzyc

sam66 wrote: »
    For those of you who have wished Paul Newton and his family well, I just want you all to know as of today Paul is breathing by himself, but is still critical and will still need your special thoughts.ta

Thank you sam66 for this positive news.
    From TN, our thoughts and prayers for Paul's recovery are sent from our hearts. God bless.
    LizzyC

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update.

He sounds like a tough guy, best wishes for a full recovery to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

good to hear hes making some kind of recovery, lets hope they get the low lifes responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sam66

Today Paul is semi-conscious and attempting to speak. Keep all the positivity going. Thanks...

Thats great news. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sam66 wrote: »
    Today Paul is semi-conscious and attempting to speak. Keep all the positivity going. Thanks...
    Thats good news indeed.

You are obviously someone who knows him well so keep us posted on his progress please.

Cmon big man! You can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That's excellent news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jakkate

Just to say, a big get well to Paul Newton, I just heard on the news that he is stable and that is great!
    These random acts should not happen, I know this sounds mad, but is there any way we can help stop them? Or are we just a weak nation that sits back and let it happen??? I am NOT a political person, and, I so do NOT want to 'go there'! But seriously, is there anything a 'lay person' can do ??? I feel so frustrated at times that these things can happen .... not just there, but in every town and here we are giving out bout it....but what are we doing about it!..... Sorry guys...my rant for the day!!! (This is my first time on this site, mabe I shouldnt have said so much??!) xx Jak :pac:

The problem in this case is somewhat different.
    According to News reports it happened it a "lively" spot in Belfast known for violence so it may have been a case of wrong place wrong time!

In general though people are reluctant to get involved as they may get more than a kick or a punch for their trouble.

I pulled a guy out of a "fight" one night in Sligo.
    Three lads were kicking the piss outta him so I chased them off.
    I put him in a taxi and all he kept saying was how he was going to get his mates in Dublin to come up the next weekend and blah blah blah!

He was steamed and didn't realise how lucky he was. These lads probably wouldn't have stopped!

In fairness though you cannot blame the majority of ppl for not getting involved because of fear! Especially when there is drink involved!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote: »
    In general though people are reluctant to get involved as they may get more than a kick or a punch for their trouble.

I pulled a guy out of a "fight" one night in Sligo.
    Three lads were kicking the piss outta him so I chased them off.
    I put him in a taxi and all he kept saying was how he was going to get his mates in Dublin to come up the next weekend and blah blah blah!

He was steamed and didn't realise how lucky he was. These lads probably wouldn't have stopped!

In fairness though you cannot blame the majority of ppl for not getting involved because of fear! Especially when there is drink involved!

Fair play for getting involved when others mightn't. :)

Advertisement