Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishing Paul Newton a speedy recovery

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

jakkate wrote: »
    , is there anything a 'lay person' can do ??? I feel so frustrated at times that these things can happen ....

I understand what you mean here, and I feel the same way too. Other than voice our opinions on a forum such as this one, the next progression would be to vigilantism. Next thing you know it'll be eye for an eye and before you know it we'll be brought down to the same level as the rest of these scum. I know for fact that I, and most of the people who post on this website are better than these scum, so its not a good idea.

Also. its fantastic that Paul is coming round. Only good news I've had today (My Lapotop died :mad: and now I've been cheered up.). Hope he's up and about soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jakkate

I can not agree with you more, I know its easy for me or any one to say we should do more, but I dont mean me or you as a person, well maybe I do - and I know where your coming from - its hard to stand up to bullies/cowards, cos thats what they are.... but I mean us as an Irish Nation! We are so proud of ourselves as a culture, whether it be Ruby, Football, Euro vision (ok, maybe not a great example!! t hee hee) but are we all laying down and taking it? ...and how do we deal with it without getting our friends/loved ones/family in bother???? We cant take it one one by one, (you have just given a prime example and I'm sure there is many many more) but maybe we can do summit together, what - I do not know.... than again maybe I dreaming!!!
    Or maybe, just maybe, Im just so bloody tired after along day.... Im talking complete crap!!! Let me know, and I will say sorry! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jakkate wrote: »
    I can not agree with you more, I know its easy for me or any one to say we should do more, but I dont mean me or you as a person, well maybe I do - and I know where your coming from - its hard to stand up to bullies/cowards, cos thats what they are.... but I mean us as an Irish Nation! We are so proud of ourselves as a culture, whether it be Ruby, Football, Euro vision (ok, maybe not a great example!! t hee hee) but are we all laying down and taking it? ...and how do we deal with it without getting our friends/loved ones/family in bother???? We cant take it one one by one, (you have just given a prime example and I'm sure there is many many more) but maybe we can do summit together, what - I do not know.... than again maybe I dreaming!!!
    Or maybe, just maybe, Im just so bloody tired after along day.... Im talking complete crap!!! Let me know, and I will say sorry! :p
    Yeah, your first post was tolerable but just wish the man well and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lizzyc

sam66 wrote: »
    Today Paul is semi-conscious and attempting to speak. Keep all the positivity going. Thanks...

Thank you sam66 for this news. All here in TN are praying for Paul's recovery and strength for Margaret and their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

I have been following this story with interest. I did not know Paul personally but I think I have met him once or twice. Neither do I know details of his injuries other than they are very serious and that he has received head injuries. Head injuries are something I do know about (unfortunately) as a member of my family had terrible injuries to his head from a fall.

He will recover however it will take a LONG time! That said there is a good chance he will be out and about soon, and might appear to be fine but a head injury is a very very odd type of injury that takes YEARS to assess. So physically he may well appear perfect and all around think he is same as ever but inside his head the healing is only starting.

I was told by a surgeon that after 3 to 4 years one can begin to determine the lasting effects of the injury. This proved very accurate in my case and Thank God all is fine with my sibling but for sure it changed all our lives. Lots of patience and understanding will be required and allow Paul recover in his own way.

http://www.headway.ie/ should be consulted by all those who will be around Paul. Anyone feel they need more info do not hesitate to contact me. There is also a book which is a must read for family members available from that site.

I pray for Paul, his family and friends and I am sure he will recover completely through time.

I hope the thugs who carried out this terrible act are brought to justice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Well said Blackiebest. here here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AllieB

I remember Paul well from School, although I am bit younger. He's a big guy with a big heart with lots of courage and very decent. I wish him a speedy recovery and will be thinking about him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Paul Newton Fundraiser

Paul Newton (43) suffered head injuries as a result of an unprovoked attack in the early hours of Saturday April 12th while on a weekend break in Belfast. Paul will have to undergo intensive rehabilitation and therapy, it is uncertain when Paul will be able to return to work. To assist Paul and his family over this traumatic and expensive period, friends of Paul have initiated some fundraising ventures.

A fundraising draw and auction is being held on Friday 20th June in the Glasshouse Hotel in Sligo. Tickets for the draw are being distributed through members of St. Mary’s GAA Club, Sligo All Stars Basketball club and numerous friends of Paul and his family.

Details of the draw and the items available for auction can be viewed on the following website stmarys.sligo.gaa.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's the Sligo man who was badly beaten up in Belfast. Heard he is doing great now, in Sligo Hospital. Even despite the progress in Northern Ireland it can still be a very dangerous place. Furthest I went was Fermanagh doing CAD drawings for a company. Not the nicest of places. Just got to keep your down and get on with your business. Still a lot of anger up there. Some peoples mentalities will never change. Same on both sides I would say.

Brilliant footballer from what I heard. Get better man.

Den

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sorry about that. Meant to say keep your head down. Lets hope there is real progression in the next few years. From all sides. Get well soon man.

Den

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Used to know Paul Newton about 20 yrs ago!
    How is he progressing after this horrific incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

very well - he is back football training and is as mad as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

If anyone wants to live dangerously and support Connacht (sorry:o), they will be on S4C (channel 134) at 4.30 today (Sat 3rd Oct). Press the red button for English commentary as it's a Welsh station. Connacht aren't on freeview T.V. too often and they represent the province so if you have even a casual interest in rugby you should tune in. Lots of local lads have played for them at various grades. They're doing pretty badly at the moment but they are our professional team so it's nice to not have to live vicariously through others. West is best and all that :).

Back on topic, I've seen Paul around town a few times and he looks in great health. I don't know him personally, but he's hard to miss:D (He's a bit of a giant for those that don't know him.)

Advertisement