Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any blogging soldiers ?

• 17-04-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Just curious if any irish soldiers have blogs, or are allowed to have blogs when on deployment. (Assuming internet access is even possible !)

Be interesting to read about what things are really like in Chad.

Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

In the light of past events I would strongly advise all serving members of the Defence Forces NOT to blog their military activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Why is that then ? US military blogs from Iraq are relatively common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

explain why hagar,

I have no way of discovering the recent events you refer to, I am not in the loop i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I think there was a guy who was keeping a blog of sorts on boards about PDF basic training which was deleted. I'm sure there's been other incidents too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The rights of the individual are not the same in the US and Ireland.
    I am not at liberty to discuss why members shouldn't blog.
    I'm just passing on the benefit of experience.

If you must blog, do it on another site, please don't involve Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Well i can tell ya that when i was in kosovo we were told not to post any information on the internet about what was going on over there, i think its common sense really...its for operational security reasons!

The blog of the recruit was deleted at his own request and rightly so because his training NCO's would have found out and by reading the posts it wouldnt have been too hard for them to figure out who he was i cant imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There was also a recent COS directive that serving members should NOT talk about, post about or otherwise pubish anything pertaining to their service in the Defence Forces.

It goes a little more indept that than, but a copy is/should be available in unit orderly rooms.

Having said that, use common sense is my recommendation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The mucky-mucks in the DF hierarchy are absolutely paranoid about the Internet. It would take an extremely courageous soul indeed to blog, regardless of how glowingly positive he may be about the DF, the unit, the mission, or the country. They are worried that an ill-thought post or moment of stupidity will forever tarnish the DF without considering the possibility that the best publicity they can get is also from the Joes on the ground, and there are a lot more sensible troopers than daft ones.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The reason why blogs are not allowed is becaue the PDF dose not want anything concerning the PDF/RDF getting out on the internet, they have a huge policy that if things like that do get out then the person who put it out will be arrested by the PAs. Even if you post picture of yourself wearing a uniform you can get arrested

Advertisement