Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel engine injection systems - Explain please?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone please explain the difference in all the fancy letters on the back of the diesel cars I see on the road.

Wikipedia tells me this much about the common-rail lettering used by some manufacturers:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Different car makers refer to their common rail engines by different names, e.g., DaimlerChrysler's CDI, Ford Motor Company's TDCi (most of these engines are manufactured by PSA), Fiat Group's (Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia) JTD, Renault's dCi, GM/Opel's CDTi (most of these engines are manufactured by Fiat, other by Isuzu), Hyundai's CRDi, Mitsubishi's DI-D, PSA Peugeot Citroën's HDi (engines for commercial diesel vehicles are made by Ford Motor Company), Toyota's D-4D, and so on. In India, Mahindra & Mahindra produce their 'Scorpio-CRDe' and Tata Motors their 'Safari-DICOR'.

To make matters worse I see some funny bastid at some car manufacturers decided that there should be red lettering on some of the cars and on others only certain letters should be coloured. What does it all mean in terms of actually buying a car? Are some of these engines known to be pretty poor while others amazingly efficient? I'd like to buy a diesel for the 'efficiency' of the engine but with diesel prices in the UK at 117.9 and going up I really would like the most efficient diesel engine possible.

Help? :confused:

Advertisement