Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full day summer camps?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the perfect forum for this but ...

One of my friends in work has moved here from the US and has an 8 year old son. She's worried about what she can do when school finishes up for the summer as both herself and her husband work. She said that in the US there were summer camps that start at say 9am, and end at 5pm doing a variety of different activities that children would be interested in (sports, art etc). However she has only found a couple of places that do camps from say 10am to 2pm here.

Is there a website anywhere that shows different summer camps in Ireland? What kind of solution do other working parents have to this kind of problem (I never even thought about it until now :P).

Oh, google yielded this, but again all the courses start late and finish early:
    http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/summer-Camps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I don't know of any camps like that here. Most run for a week or two, and the odd one will have longer hours, but nothing you could book for the whole holidays, asfaik.

I think most people here would use a childminder in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

And that's a put a sign up in a local shop type situation, or is there another method for seeing who good childminders with room for more children might be? ratemychildminder.ie hehe

Actually babysitters.ie in the links thread looks like a good start...

Get your friend to ask the other Mums at school for some local recommendations. I don't use a childminder myself, so I'm sure others will have better ideas on how to source one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Most of the "summer camps" for kids are run by Teachers on holidays and they don't seem keen to do a full-day. All of the various camps where I live in Wexford only run until 2/3 p.m. daily. To be honest I don't think there is much else available for kids - but as said before you should have your friend check with other parents in the locality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement