Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Moderators

Options
  • 17-04-2008 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Moderators for 22's are not restricted under new legislation. Does this include 220 swift ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

According to the SI:
    silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;

are NOT restricted.

So the restriction is not based on calibre but on whether the type of ammunition is rimfire or centrefire.

Moderators are restricted: | .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .22-250, .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, etc.
    Moderators are not restricted: | .17 HMR, .22lr, .22WMR, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Moderators do not reduce the "heard noise" except with rimfire rifles, but they do reduce the risk of noise induced hearing loss. It makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yup all you have to do is be on the range in the midlands when a few guys are shooting 600 yards and when you're down range it sounds the same as a moderated rifle up close

makes no sense but as long as permission applications are dealt with in a fair and reasonable manner (fingers crossed) we should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Moderators do not reduce the "heard noise" except with rimfire rifles, but they do reduce the risk of noise induced hearing loss. It makes no sense at all.
    Did you mean to say eliminate, rather than reduce?
    Because, moderators surely reduce the sound from all firearms, but not silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Mellor wrote: »
    Did you mean to say eliminate, rather than reduce?
    Because, moderators surely reduce the sound from all firearms, but not silence

i was thinking the same , but maybe theres a better "medical" explanation..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

hollywood has a lot to blame that why people namely garda etc think they
    totally silence the gun I had to explain this to my fo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

actually:
    I've heard that with sub-sonic rounds and a good moderator/silencer,
    you hear something like the "Hollywood" silenced weapons

_Kar

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Kareir wrote: »
    actually:
    I've heard that with sub-sonic rounds and a good moderator/silencer,
    you hear something like the "Hollywood" silenced weapons

Subsonic .22lr rounds through a good mod are pretty quiet.

If you have a look through youtube looking for videos with "silencer", "moderator" or "suppressor" you'll find a bunch of videos which will show you the noise difference between moderated and unmoderated firearms of many calibres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

i was thinking the same , but maybe theres a better "medical" explanation..:confused:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2004/hsl04-01.pdf

This may explain it a bit better, essentially the using moderators with supersonic ammunition will reduce the sound level in the immediate area around the shooter, protecting the shooter and those around them from the risk of noise induced hearing loss .But do not diminish the noise levels in front of the rifle.

The irony is that the moderators used in rimfire rifles dramatically reduce the noise heard, (unrestricted) but do little to reduce the noise heard with fullbore rifles (restricted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I knew you would come up with the goods:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Traumadoc;
    I took the opportunity to place a question in DeVor's Thread which was for the attention of the DOJ, you remember that thread?
    I explained the contradiction which you (traumadoc) have highlighted here and i posed the question, will the shooters of Ireland find them selfs in a position similar to that of the Irish army in the 90's, who sued for hearing damage because of a lack of training or PPE.....

You are completely correct in what you say about this inconsistency in the thought process of the firearms law. As meathsteve has stated, this inconsistent is born out of an understanding gained from Hollywood based movie industry.:D
    This issue should be afforded urgent redress from the DOJ before they receive a formal warning from another government body, namely the HSA (health & safety association)

I hope that this board will receive some answers from the original thread which deVor submitted to the DOJ insider man...
    Any answers DeVor????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms

So souldnt be a problem getting a silencer for my .303:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

chem wrote: »
    silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms

So souldnt be a problem getting a silencer for my .303:confused::D
    A .303 is not a rimfire, it is a centrefire.
    The .303 has a rimmed case but the primer is not in the rim it is in the centre of the cartridge base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Traumadoc;
    I
    This issue should be afforded urgent redress from the DOJ before they receive a formal warning from another government body, namely the HSA (health & safety association)D

Ivan, It is the Health and Safety Authority not Association and unless you can directly link to occupational exposure, it is outside their remit as they look at occupational safety and health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

self employed!!!
    Anyway try not to split hairs cavan:p you get the picture

Advertisement