Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie has adware and spyware downloads...?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Well the McAfee SiteAdvisor site seems to think so...

That can't be good...

Anything we can do?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

THIS SITE IS BAD! Stay away - The site owner is a well known hacker. If you use trend micro you will know what im talking about. Run scans daily if you use this site.
    Hah. Banned user looking to stir some ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055262722

Hah. Banned user looking to stir some ****?
    Sore losers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If you read through the report, instead of panicking because an automatic script says the site is the devil's work, you'll see that the executable it's complaining about gets downloaded if you specifically click on the poker banner ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Good old Sherifu... always around to tell us if something we're posting has been posted before. Hurrah!

(As if it matters)...

What I'm asking is;- is there anything we can do about the rating itself? It gives the site a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bard wrote: »
    Good old Sherifu... always around to tell us if something we're posting has been posted before. Hurrah!

(As if it matters)...

What I'm asking is;- is there anything we can do about the rating itself? It gives the site a bad name.
    Post positive reviews yourself and increase the good:bad ratio somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

(As if it matters)...
    The admins know about it anyway. Someone stole your biscuits today? 11 posts after the thank you post you've turned bitter man. :p

From McAfee;

Title: Green Joker Poker
    URL of the download publisher: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=65414
    URL of the download: http://ads.boards.ie/adclick.php?bannerid=139&zoneid=1&source=&dest=http://banner.greenjokerpoker.co
    m/cgi-bin/SetupPoker.exe?creferer=affid:697308 Filename: SetupPoker.exe
    File size: 163869
    Full checksum (MD5): 435fe4a2a5f11c97e46ac3645cd86f4f
    SiteAdvisor Program ID: 8973322
    SiteAdvisor last tested this download: January 2008
    SiteAdvisor last verified this link: October 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anyone who still uses McAfee deserves what they get.:pac:

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've found the problem. Its The Hustler's signature

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kaizersoze wrote: »

That is all.

+1. Norton ftw :D

then theres Firefox...Adblock...NoScript...Spybot.... Mmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Siteadvisor is not the same as anti-virus it can be used as a browser plugin, and whether its good or bad doesn't really mater as people use it and I agree with Bard its not great publicity.
    But they rescan every so often so hopefully the link to the download was removed and next time they scan it can be rated as green again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Overheal wrote: »
    +1. Norton ftw :D

then theres Firefox...Adblock...NoScript...Spybot.... Mmmmm....
    norton internet security is just as bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Only cos it costs so damn much. To be honest I think theyve improved their service a lot after observing a lot of criticism over the years; and acted on it.

kaizersoze wrote: »

Agreed, and we don't need those kinds of people around here. I heartily support McAfee claiming to morons that Boards should be stayed away from!

FruitLover wrote: »
    Agreed, and we don't need those kinds of people around here. I heartily support McAfee claiming to morons that Boards should be stayed away from!

Eh... I know I'm being picky but... just a few points.

1. It's not the McAfee Anti-Virus or Internet Security software suite, neither of which I use. It's McAfee SiteAdvisor, and I just stumbled across it.

2. Who are you to say who are 'the the kind of people we need around here'?

3. Who are you calling 'morons'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Who are you to say who are 'the the kind of people we need around here'?

He's a well respected moronologist who's spent his life studying morons in their native habitat, the internet, particularly their mating habits.

Imo, siteadviser could do a lot of harm to well run sites by not researching sites that they are going to give warnings about. If I had siteadviser installed when I first came across Boards.ie, I may well have given it a miss.

What a loss that would have been. :p

I wasn't aware you had to install anything for SiteAdvisor,- as I said, I just stumbled across their web site.

And yes, I agree that it could do a lot of harm by keeping people away from safe, well intentioned and well run web sites, which is why I asked originally if there's anything we can do - not just posting good reviews - but if there's anything we can do ABOUT the bad reviews that are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Thrill wrote: »
    He's a well respected moronologist who's spent his life studying morons in their native habitat, the internet, particularly their mating habits.

I'd just like to point out that anyone whose native habitat is the internet does not by definition have any mating habits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dieslippers

muffler wrote: »
    I've found the problem. Its The Hustler's signature

It's not; it's the mark of penthouse, I know that stain anywhere; always near the pillow.
    FruitLover wrote: »

HMMM... Shouldn't you be filling some jam doughnuts with your love organ.
    I wasn't aware you had to install anything for SiteAdvisor,- as I said, I just stumbled across their web site.

And yes, I agree that it could do a lot of harm by keeping people away from safe, well intentioned and well run web sites, which is why I asked originally if there's anything we can do - not just posting good reviews - but if there's anything we can do ABOUT the bad reviews that are there.

Well...we could have a talk with Hullaballu.

* rips off mask from Hullaballu to reveal a donkeys head *

Well, Hullaballu the feedback admin seems to be the
    Em! Donkey on this occasion. It's not the Hustler or even NSX NICK it's... Hullaballu. You cheeky devil you.

pics_donkey_shrek.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

dieslippers.

Proof that reincarnation is real.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

dieslippers.

Proof that reincarnation is real.
    dieslippers is either the dual account of a well-known (and still active) moderator, lives/works in the same house/small business as one, or is hacking into his mod-neighbours wireless router.

If the poker is giving Boards its yellow rating, then why not just remove it?

Unless, of course, there's money to be gained for Boards.ie I guess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If the poker is giving Boards its yellow rating, then why not just remove it?

Unless, of course, there's money to be gained for Boards.ie I guess.

The problem is/was that the banner pointed to an .EXE file instead of a page explaining what's what etc. I think it was fixed but it seems to have restored itself again. Tho, I haven't seen the banner in a long time myself!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

CuLT wrote: »
    dieslippers is either the dual account of a well-known (and still active) moderator, lives/works in the same house/small business as one, or is hacking into his mod-neighbours wireless router.

I swear I had nothing to do with it.

*hides*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dieslippers

CuLT wrote: »

I am not a dual account of a still active moderator. The first initial of my name is not P.
    I am sorry to hear that Sully feels guilty about this whole McAfee thing.
    or is hacking into his mod-neighbours wireless

Cult Calling me a Hacker is just typical.
    I felt it was immature for that disgruntled user to call the boards.ie owner a Hacker on McAfee, if not abusive, but now I don't care. I suppose you can trace my IP address and track me down.

I mean TBH boards.ie has gone on power trips and cried for blood before, electronic blood in the form of an IP address and registry address, with name and tel a few clicks away. Selective banning of suspect groups....

If anyone wants my name; please just PM me, there is no need to set the blood hounds on me....

Anyway I have copied the last few comments, in chronological form as they date from most recent to oldest below.

Rating: Adware, spyware, or viruses

I have to agree the previous poster SEAN W, He appears to be an excellent reviewer. I am only a basic reviewee.
    There apparently are some malicious spam ads on Boards.ie. Actual example provided from boards.ie, (not full link; requires http://w )
    ww.privatamateure.com/show_amateur.php?amateur_nickname=HeisseSheila&wmid=3078&program=revshare&campaign=4835&sc=1

An online poster allegedly found this on a banner ad in boards.ie. This is clearly a malicious advertisement by google or (a virus) and that is why boards.ie is suffering poor rating's. Sean W can support the fact that a boards.ie user has stated all of the above to feedback under (we are yellow in mcafee thread).
    In my opinion the yellow isnt unfair, but it doesnt reflect most user's opinion's.
    For that reason I would have to rate Boards.ie on the scale of evil as a catagory 3.
    A 03 Willing companions of the death penalty : aberrant personality — probably impulse-ridden, with antisocial traits.

Posted at 03/31/2008-02:14:56 PM by dieslippers, Reviewer , View profile [ Reputation score: 1 / 9 ]

Rating: This site is good

I've seen SiteAdvisor come up with some inexplicable results but this must be one of the weirdest. The location where SA allegedly found the download is the personal profile page of a single member, which, when I checked it out a few days ago, had absolutely nothing of the sort in there.

At worst, this was a malicious advertisement (boards uses Google Syndication).

This yellow mark makes no sense. Check the previous page of comments here, you will see that I had to protest another nonsensical non-green mark given to this site before.

Posted at 03/30/2008-07:25:09 PM by SeanW, Reviewer , View profile [ Reputation score: 7 / 9 ]

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I am not a dual account of a still active moderator. The first initial of my name is not P.
    Good to know!

I was testing you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

blah blah blah
    Mcaffe wrote:
    View Profile: dieslippers, Reviewer
    Last Activity: 03-31-2008 07:45 PM
    Reviewer information

Total Posts: 1 ( 0.04 posts per day)
    Since: 03-31-2008

* Find all posts by dieslippers

Signature

Expert reviewer

What makes you an expert reviewer? I know of a few people who work for both Mcaffe and Symantec and none of them have a problem with this site. Besides you.

2. Who are you to say who are 'the the kind of people we need around here'?

Call me crazy, but I don't think anyone wants any more morons on the site than we've already got; we've definitely met our quota there. I don't think one needs to 'be' anyone to figure that.
    3. Who are you calling 'morons'?

People who trust McAfee (although that one was tongue-in-cheek)

Advertisement