Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of getting a Scoda Octavia 1.9

Options
  • 17-04-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows much about them... maybe has one already. Heard the engine seal can go in the older ones .pre 2002 if they're over 100,000 miles.
    Or, are they're any better options around that size (engine)and type (5 door). Although think it's the most compeditively priced....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

They are not a bad car.
    The only difference between them and a VW is the amount of engine noise you get.
    My dad has a 99 octavia 1.9 with id say about 300,000 miles. hes had some issues but nothing catastrophic
    He loves it, and he doesn't really look after it much....

They are only available in 5 door great boot, 1.9 TDI is probably the best engine and certainly most common.

Personally i would buy the VRS version or just a newer model altogether.
    The post 05 really blurred the lines between VW and skoda. build quality feels better and a better car all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It has a great boot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

If all you want is a good solid car and nothing too fancy, that octavis is everything you need.Very economical, as well, circa 65mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

anto-t wrote: »
    It has a great boot!!!

Boo urns. Everyone knows it's huge not great.

I've only been in one and found it quite cramped in the back, probably why it has that legendary boot.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Yeah but great when compared to the Jetta/bora, which are cramped in the back also.

Just for a car this size the boot i thought came as a surprise!

Hey maybe the OP enjoys ferrying dead bodies around! Hence why i pointed it out this is the internet after all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Zonda , Do you really believe that 65mpg is realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

groupb wrote: »

A friend of mine has one. He always tells me it does close to that... BUT when I ask him what range he gets from the tank it is very similar to what I get in my focus... which should mean 50-54mpg.

The reason they have a big boot it that they have a slightly ungainly rear overhang!

Good no nonsense car though by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I used to regularly get 62mpg on a '99 TDI

Then I had a '04, and could barely get it over 60mpg.... must've been the electric windows that held it back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Solid, reliable and basic is the Skoda.
    Zero road presense, Zero Cred but ZERO hassles I'm told......and easy on the jungle juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

One important thing to remember about the octavia that it is based on the VW golf not the passat as it is often compared too. Probably the reason why it doesn't have huge rear space, but a large boot.

Can't really go wrong with the octavia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

.and easy on the jungle juice.

Bulmers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I have one .. great car .. not exactly the best looker though.

Steering rack on mine went at 108k :( .. cost 400 euros to get a second hand one and get it fitted. Other than that shes going grand ... needed a new MAF, but pretty common thing to go on the 1.9 TDI

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Solid, reliable and basic is the Skoda.
    Zero road presense, Zero Cred
    This must explain why they are the car of choice for a large percentage of taxi drivers around Europe. Why they make up a big part of the PSNI fleet up North and other police forces around the UK.
    I'm sorry but the the opinions of the people who don't give these cars credibility are not really worth listening to.
    Anyways to answer your question between my wife and myself we have owned 5 Octavias, one mk1 and four mk2's. The current one is a 1.9tdi Elegance. No problems whatsoever so far (touch wood). I avg about 55mpg in a 50:50 split between city and motorway driving. Very good car on back roads, steering is direct, excellent brakes, suspension is set up slighter softer than Golfs/A3 so more suited to Irish roads.
    Only things I can thing of to look out for are;
    The PD diesel power delivery can take a bit of getting used to. It can be very on/off so you end up stalling and cutting out but its not an issue when you get used to it.
    Engine can sound noisy when cold but quietens down when its warmed up.
    Keep an eye out on the oil consumption. After about the first 15k they need about a half litre top up with the long life oil, then it settles down.
    My brother has had a couple of high milers as well and the only problem was he had to get a reconditioned MAF for one.

Absolutely.And the amazing thing is that when i saw that one day on the trip computer, it turns out that that was the 110hp engine, so the 90 should be even better!!Another good thing is that 95& of the ones you see in this country are the tdi.The sdi was also offered but was'nt at all popular.A much higher percentage of golfs and boras of similiar age have the horribly slow sdi engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I'd say that trip computer may have been a tad optimistic!

Amazingly, the aircon was also on when i saw that so.........:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ibuprofen

Thamks for all the help. Looks like I'll be going for it :)

Advertisement