Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish/ Birtish pass port.

• 17-04-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

I have a current irish pass port, however i am entitled to a UK one also. (born in Northern Ireland/ Occupied counties)
    I want the UK passport in case of trouble, i have been relibly told that there is a greater diplomatic prescence in the area im going to, no irish.
    So i can apply for my British passport and keep my irish one too.

My question is, can i use my irish name C O Dochartaigh on the application despite C****n Doherty appearing on the UK birthcert.

I think I heard about something in the Good Friday Agreement that this would be allowed.

Thank you..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is slightly off topic,you can seek help from any EU members Embassy under a deal singed a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

caoibhin wrote: »
    I have a current irish pass port, however i am entitled to a UK one also. (born in Northern Ireland/ Occupied counties)
    I want the UK passport in case of trouble, i have been relibly told that there is a greater diplomatic prescence in the area im going to, no irish.
    So i can apply for my British passport and keep my irish one too.

My question is, can i use my irish name C O Dochartaigh on the application despite C****n Doherty appearing on the UK birthcert.

I think I heard about something in the Good Friday Agreement that this would be allowed.

Thank you..
    There is nothing to stop you from having both passports.
    You are just looking for trouble asking the British embassy to put the name in irish on the passport. If you want their consular services it is best not to rock the boat.

I do agree you do get better consular service from the British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

I have both - precisely for the reasons you outline. It is good when you are off the beaten track. It is also handy when you are in places like Africa because you can decide which visa is cheaper. For instance it is cheaper to be Irish in Uganda and British in Rwanda!

The only drawback is you cannot get consular assistance from the Irish embassy in the UK and vice versa if you have dual citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There is nothing to stop you from having both passports.
    You are just looking for trouble asking the British embassy to put the name in irish on the passport. If you want their consular services it is best not to rock the boat.

I do agree you do get better consular service from the British.

As a moderator you should know better than to reply to a blatant request for legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

As a moderator you should know better than to reply to a blatant request for legal advice.

If it puts your mind at ease, im going abroad to do a years volunteer aid work and i was wondering about the passports in case things get hairy.
    Just over worrying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement