Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Hi,

I am interested too posted a few times in this thread but haven't been able to make any of the meetings yet. How did the meeting lastnight go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fuinnseog

Hi Sundew and EMC2,

Meeting went well last night, will circulate notes shortly. Been too hectic today!

Some good news is that the council and parks want to set up a meeting with us with a view to St. Annes walled garden near All Saints Road. icon14.gif

EMC - if you would like to read the minutes, please PM me your email address and I will add you to the distribution list. That way you will hear when the next meeting is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Some good news is that the council and parks want to set up a meeting with us with a view to St. Annes walled garden near All Saints Road. icon14.gif
    This sounds very positive
    026.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blanchdub

Hi All,

I added some links to our web site @ http://sites.google.com/site/dublinallotmentassociation/

Thanks to OldGoat for the suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thewoodenbridge

Hello Sesheta LaoLao Fuinnseog.

I'm wondering if you have made any progress with the council, or been in touch with one another?
    I would be very interested in be involved in this as I am trying to get an allotment. I think definately a few people together have more clout than one alone when lobbying DCC, local reps or whoever, and would do my bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hello Sesheta LaoLao Fuinnseog.

I'm wondering if you have made any progress with the council, or been in touch with one another?
    I would be very interested in be involved in this as I am trying to get an allotment. I think definately a few people together have more clout than one alone when lobbying DCC, local reps or whoever, and would do my bit!

Aha, another potential member! I may have to revise my ideas on membership fees. :)
    Hya Woodenbridge. We were scheduled to meet with the Council today (11-09-08) but they have re-scheduled for some reason. Watch this space for updates and information on our next meeting.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Hi woodenbridge,

If you would like to receive notification of our meetings, notes from our meetings or generally keep abreast of the movement, I can add you to our distribution list if you PM me your email address and "real name".

It's also helpful if you can tell us roughly your suburb of residence so that we will know what sites for future allotments have local demand.

Hello OldGoat and Fuinnseog, I'll do both of those things.

I grew up with lots of space and we always grew our own veg but these days I live in an apartment without even a garden, so i've been itching to get back to this for a while now - so far without success!

So I would love to receive notification of meetings etc., with a view to being involved, throwing out some ideas if needed, and generally doing whatever I can to help.

Thanks!

ps Oh sorry guys, I live in the west side of the city centre so so anything actually happening in the War Memorial Gardens or the Phoenix Park would be really super...

But also im up in the D3 area a bit so the possibility of any developments St Anne's (or indeed anywhere!) would have me very interested! icon7.gif

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevndave

I would love to have an allotment around Stoneybatter I read your post and think its a great idea so anyone interested send a mesage and we will see if its possible.

• Advertisement

Hi Kevndave,

I read something about a community garden in Stoneybatter in the Dublin Informer (some local free sheet) just last night. I will check it again to see if there was a contact for this.

In the meantime, if you would like to be added to our email distribution list to keep up with our allotment lobbying, pm me your name, email and rough area of residence.

Fuinnseog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

kevndave and Fuinnseog,

that Stoneybatter garden is at the end of Sitric avenue. They should be having their autumn harvest festival around now.

The reason for my post.

I was at an area action plan for inchicore the other week, Oct 2nd, and on the display panels in the display were allocations for allotments!!! oohh.
    Here is the link to the Area Plan from the DCC website. I've had a look all the way through it, quickly, but no sign of allotments.

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/Kilmainham_Area_Plan.pdf

Where they were, was to the north of St. Patrick's Athletic football ground, across the River Camac, behind the houses on Inchicore Road.

good luck.

t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Beth_BV

I would like to join the allotment lobbying group, is there meeting I can attend to find out more information?
    Thank You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sineadlorcan@ho

Hi fuinnseog and gang

I am a small vegetable farmer out in north county dublin in a small village. Was very interested to hear about the interest in the allotments. I am thinking about setting up an allotment site here on the farm and wondering what the interest would be before I go ahead. Am I too far out?? Would public transport be an issue? Any feedback on this would be great. Thanks! Any free advice on growing vegetables would be available!!:D:D

Hi Sinead,

That sounds great! Where abouts in North county are you based?

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sineadlorcan@ho

Hi Sarah

We are out in garrristown about 3 miles from ashbourne. Is it possible for you to send me your e-mail address and we could talk about this more or maybe your phone number?? I am not very good with computers so it would probably be best to have a chat with you.

Thanks

Lorcan

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

I don't know if this was a prompt for you Sinéad to consider setting up allotments, but did anyone see the 'Ear to the Ground' programme last night? It had a really good slot about allotments and there was a farmer (in Meath, I think), who had the idea of turning some of his fields into allotments. It has been a resounding success and the allotments in it are everything that we could hope for in an allotment setup - lots of happy smiling faces, children getting involved, tonnes of vegetables sprouting up, the lot. Gerry Daly even had some input in it.

Tom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 I_Love_Tomatoes

Sorry to butt in here but I'm dead curious about these aswell... Clonsilla (fat chance of that I suppose!), the back of Dunboyne, Kilcock... that sort of area near all of the stables would be great. Has anyone come across a landowner there willing to sell a small veggie plot where we could build a small shed and greenhouse? There is great potential for such land use out that way... some really good quality land and it's nice and it's a quiet area too.

I spent a few days in a town in the North or Poland last summer and the family had one of those plots - there were about 60 or 70 in all I think, about 2 miles outside the town. Absolutely amazing stuff... the quality of the fruit and veg would blow your mind. People would make green houses out of old windows from houses and just stick 'em together with bits of wood etc... or just use double-glazing with builders plastic. The results were incredible... weekly crops of cucumbers, enough strawberries to stock a shop from just a few square metres, roses that I assumed were impossible to make look so healthy.... they were allowed to also build permanent sheds so long as they were under I think 15 or 20 sq meters or something and under a certain height...

Looked like a great way to kill a weekend... hard work but very satisfying and incredible organic food...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robbie678

This is a great idea, I would be really interested in joining your group. I live not too far from St Annes and think there would be a suitable piece of land for compulsory purchase by the council for say 6 to 10 allotments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Extracted from Dublin City Council Report No. 518/2008...
    MONTHLY MEETING OF COUNCIL TO BE
    HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, CITY HALL, DUBLIN 2,
    ON MONDAY, 1st DECEMBER 2008
    AT 6.45 PM

PART IV – MOTIONS
    30 COUNCILLOR PAT CRIMMINS
    Can the Manager investigate the possibility of providing garden allotments in the city of Dublin.
    So Pat Crimmins put forward the motion for us. What happens next? Are we going to sit on our laurels and wait or do we use the same approach with the TD's on a national level rather then just on a local Dublin level?
    Nicely done to all who have pushed us so far in this already.
    Is it time for a pint and a face to face again? :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Hi all, I'm yet another late joiner to this thread. I'm also yet another Dublin 5 gardener who would love to get stuck into an allotment - am outgrowing my small patch of earth at home! How do I go about joining the gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Turbidine

Hi there,

Wow - am very impressed with this all. I am living in D2 city centre and am so frustrated having to try and grow my vegs near my windows in my apartment so am desperately looking for an allotment.
    St Anne's sounds perfect to me - has there been any development on this one (I read the thread but may have skipped the news as there were many pages)?
    I would like to join the association and be of help for anything that's needed in trying to get allotments! Where do I start and what can I do??

Hoping to be able to meet all of you at the next meeting?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Living in north dublin city, would be very interested in keeping an allotment and growing veg and fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

OldGoat wrote: »
    Extracted from Dublin City Council Report No. 518/2008...

So Pat Crimmins put forward the motion for us. What happens next? Are we going to sit on our laurels and wait or do we use the same approach with the TD's on a national level rather then just on a local Dublin level?
    Nicely done to all who have pushed us so far in this already.
    Is it time for a pint and a face to face again? :)

Hi John,

Was just thinking the same thing myself as to where we go next with this. I know that DCC (Noel & Rachel) are still working on stuff so it may be a case of sit and wait but I am impatient :o and can't help but feel that I should be doing something to push this on! Also, I get thirsty quite easily :)

Caff / Turbidine / Gordon Gekko - if you can PM me your real name & e-mail address, I can add you onto the DAA's mailing list for updates on the progress we make/notices of any meetings etc.

Cheers
    Brian

here is a photo of the large display poster that was on exhibit some months ago. if you go into the K. area office, they have this and the rest of the panels lying there behind the counter...

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/kuhnriver/Misc/?action=view&current=Kilareaplan010.jpg

The D section is where the allotments are planned for, with Pats' football pitch to the south of the river...

I went to the park there, and took some pics.
    Here...

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/kuhnriver/Misc/?action=view&current=misc007.jpg

and

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/kuhnriver/Misc/?action=view&current=misc006.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Annamoe99

I'm not sure if it's close enough to you but I am setting up some private allotments in Co Wicklow this Spring.

HI Annamoe,

That's good to hear. I think you might be better off to contact the South Dublin Allotment Association http://homepage.eircom.net/~sthduballots/index.htm as they would have people closer to Wicklow. Most of the people on this thread are north siders or in city council.

Best of luck with your project :)

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lornstar

I am definitely interesting in an allotment. I'm in Dublin City Council also. Have you had any luck so far?

Fuinnseog wrote: »
    Are you in Fingal or Dublin City Council LaoLao? I am interested in getting an allotment on the northside and I'm in Dublin City Council. The council have told me to try and get as many interested people together (at least 5-6) and to try and identify suitable lands which the council can then purchase through a compulsory purchase order or suitable parklands.

So if anyone out there is interested in setting up allotments, public on the north side of Dublin City Council or private anywhere on the northside, please let me know and perhaps we can start to lobby the council as a group or identify private lands for lease to a group.

• Advertisement

http://sites.google.com/site/dublinallotmentassociation/our-current-projects-and-meetings

Hi Lornstar,

above is a link to some info on Dublin Allotment Association. The St. Anne's project is still in development.

Fuinnseog

Advertisement