Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shin31

fionn67 wrote: »
    Hi Fuinnseog
    Yes very very interested in an allotment and Northside
    Yesterday was out at (very nice ) private allotments on way to Dunboyne but just that a little too far for me (45 min drive which kinda takes the 'green' good out of it :) )
    I even know the perfect spot for some allotments....in a park!!

Hi

I would be interested also, as I live in Stoneybatter. Let me know whats happening!!! ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Thought I'd post this link to last nights "Nationwide" where allotments in Wicklow were featured. It's toward the end of the show but the whole programme is about gardening and veg growing. The link will only be available for a few days!

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1051136

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

If anyone has an allotment in South Dublin that they don't intend on using in 2010, could they pass it over to me plese? Waiting list is 5 years, I have been waiting for over a year now.

Would love it if someone could help out.

Cheers,
    Nabber.

Nabber wrote: »
    If anyone has an allotment in South Dublin that they don't intend on using in 2010, could they pass it over to me plese? Waiting list is 5 years, I have been waiting for over a year now.

Would love it if someone could help out.

Cheers,
    Nabber.

What makes you so special? :D I've been on the list for over 2 years and my father -in -law who is in his 70's has also been on the list for for over 2 years. He'll probably have kicked the bucket by the time the SDCC get their fingers out of their behinds to distribute some more allotments.:D
    Actually I reckon there are people on lists for much longer!You should try and find a piece of land in your locality and see if you can get some permission to grow some veg there. Thats what Ive done. Spotted myself a nice strip of land not being used a few months ago and asked the person who was in charge of it , could I grow some stuff there. Got the go ahead so now I can keep myself busy whilst waiting for an allotment to pop up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Sundew wrote: »
    What makes you so special? :D

I think fair play for asking anyway, a dumb priest never got a parish

PS I think I might of found one, I'll check it out and report back over the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm involved in a slightly guerilla style allotment thing on Bridgefoot street, D8. Is that anywhere near you?

I was walking by many months ago and noticed that some locals had turned the space into allotments. I had been wondering whether it was with the assistance of the corporation or not. Fair play to you anyway but would you mind explaining this to me! :)

3413096714_c25cf8b17a.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3413096714

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

last I heard, a few weeks ago, the Crumlin site was being spoken about as coming onstream soon, perhaps next spring ('10).

How about that vacant space at the bottom of Cork St. at Ardee Street beside South Gate apartments? Used to be corpo flats till demolished earlier this year or late last year.

rumour has it it's now privately owned...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I was walking by many months ago and noticed that some locals had turned the space into allotments. I had been wondering whether it was with the assistance of the corporation or not. Fair play to you anyway but would you mind explaining this to me! :)

3413096714_c25cf8b17a.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3413096714

Yeah thats my place. Well the Robert Emmet CDP have use of the grounds and we do arts and crafts with local kids sometimes and put their stuff up, there is also a load of scarecrows made from bits and pieces found on site. If anyone would like to get involved let me know, the plots are raised beds about 1.8m by 4m. I dug up a load of spuds today:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fuinnseog

Sundew wrote: »
    What makes you so special? :D I've been on the list for over 2 years and my father -in -law who is in his 70's has also been on the list for for over 2 years. He'll probably have kicked the bucket by the time the SDCC get their fingers out of their behinds to distribute some more allotments.:D
    Actually I reckon there are people on lists for much longer!You should try and find a piece of land in your locality and see if you can get some permission to grow some veg there. Thats what Ive done. Spotted myself a nice strip of land not being used a few months ago and asked the person who was in charge of it , could I grow some stuff there. Got the go ahead so now I can keep myself busy whilst waiting for an allotment to pop up :)

Fair play to you Sundew, so is it privately owned land?
    We now have 5 people working on garden share allotments and touch wood it's working out ok. In the absence of real allotments I guess we have to be creative.

Fair play to you Sundew, so is it privately owned land?
    We now have 5 people working on garden share allotments and touch wood it's working out ok. In the absence of real allotments I guess we have to be creative.

Fuinnseog: The land is actually part of the complex where I live. It was a strip of unused land fenced off (handy for security as it's only accessed by a locked gate). There is also water on site :) so it was the perfect location.
    Some other people nearby are gorilla allotment gardening on a field owned by CIE and they already had a very successful first season. Hopefully they won't be turfed out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 laura27314

I do think it's unfortunate that so many of the allotments aren't used. I suppose it's a bit like gym memberships, people keep them in the hope that they will be better people next year.

I got a private allotment in Beechpark Allotments, Clonsilla by trowling the net and contacting someone who was interested in passing over the lease to someone who would take care of it. There are more allotments coming on stream there early next year and as far as I know they are taking names a waiting list (I got my name on the waiting list before managing to get one of the existing ones).

All the contact details for beechpark are on www.allotments.ie

If anyone reading this doesn't use their allotment they should consider at least letting someone else use half of it.

Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blanchdub

Does anyone have some news about the Powerstown Road Fingal allotment ( close to the Tyrrelstown Educate Together school)?

Last year Fingal coco said the allotments would be ready by February 09, then in April 09 they said they needed 2 more months as ESB did not finish their work... Anyone got the latest status?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

The council are now sending out offers as the allotment are almost finished

Pearce college in Crumlin have also sent out applications for anybody who is on the Dublin City Council Allotment waiting list in the D8,10 & 12 areas!
    They are giving people on the waiting list first refusal before offering them to the general public. Thy cost €200 a year and I'm afraid I've decided to pass.
    I have been given a small plot. It's not a great site but it beats paying €200 which i doubt I'll be able to afford after tomorrows budget :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jasper30

Hi

Anyone know of privately owned allotments in North County Dublin (near Swords)?

I have two names but one is way too big and too expensive and the other wont be up and running until the end of March.

Want to get started straight away.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Jasper30 wrote: »
    Hi

I have two names but one is way too big and too expensive and the other wont be up and running until the end of March.

TIA

Beechpark Allotments out in Clonsilla in Dublin 15 have new plots. Not really close to Swords though :P P me for contact details, have to dig up the number for the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jasper30

Thanks Tony but Clonsilla is a bit too far for me was hoping for something more North Co Dub rather than westside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blanchdub

Hi All,

I signed for the 200m2 and 100m2 allotments (repectively 1st and 2nd choice) in December 2009.
    I have not heard from Fingal co co since.

Does anyone know when the allotments will be assigned? thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hi all.
    Sean Haughy has been posting his "See what I did for you" newsletter around and that in it he's saying the St. Annes Allotments are ready to roll.
    I'm wondering if anyone might have heard directly from DCC yet.
    Source:Local News
    Allotments, St. Anne’s Park.
    Work is progressing on the allotment site in the enclosed walled garden at St Anne’s Park. The site has been cleared of all debris and leveled. The path system is being lined out, the central path has been excavated and the final surface is being prepared. A lock-up facility for tools for those using the allotments is being sourced at the current time. Letting arrangements will be finalised and cleared with the City Council Law Department as soon as possible. To ensure fairness in the allocation of the available allotments, it is proposed that allocation be made by simple draw of applicants and that applications be accepted from those residing in the Dublin City administrative area only. In phase II of the project it is proposed that polythene tunnels will be made available to help gardeners produce seedlings for early planting. It is also proposed that a meeting area will be provided as a small pavilion in the centre of the site to allow people to meet, thus encouraging a cohesive community of growers. These latter facilities will not be available at the commencement of the allotment sites, however will be supplied as available resources permit. 15/02/10.
    "To ensure fairness in the allocation of the available allotments, it is proposed that allocation be made by simple draw of applicants". So, length of time on the waiting list means nothing? All the effort put in by the Allotment society when working with the council means nothing?
    Best of luck in the draw folk. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KCPS

I have the perfect space for allotment in Dublin 15 if you are interested - it is separate land with water tap
    Ready any time
    KCPS

QUOTE=Lao Lao;55691925]Had posted this in the gardening thread but got no answers, anybody here know of the below?

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there are any allotments still going in Dublin, preferably the north side of Dublin?

Cheers

B[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Hi - I have allotment space in Dublin 15 ready to go
    If you are interested
    KCPS
    Jasper30 wrote: »
    Hi

TIA

I know of land available in dub 15
    is this of any interest?
    Lao Lao wrote: »
    Had posted this in the gardening thread but got no answers, anybody here know of the below?

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there are any allotments still going in Dublin, preferably the north side of Dublin?

Cheers

B

KeiCia wrote: »
    Hi,

my name is on a very, very long list for an allotment. Has anyone managed to find any private allotments on the north side of Dublin? I don't have the patience to wait another year for a public one.

Thanks
    HI did you get sorte I have a great space in D 15 if you are interested
    KCPS

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dantonio

Just got my key to my new 100m2 plot in Powerstown (Tyrellestown allotments) in the post today!

Been waiting about 3 years for a plot! Heading up to check it out now.

Does anybody know if there is a community group or anything yet for the allotment group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Belfast wrote: »
    The council are now sending out offers as the allotment are almost finished

Just got the key to the allotment.
    Got 100 sq meters in Tyrelstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Elektra6

Hi Dantonio and Belfast,

PLease check out the following link to a facebook page that I set up for those of us that have a site up at Powerstown. Thought it might be handy for use to communicate and get tips and advice, especially for first timers like myself.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116077418425304

Check it out and join up if you're interested. The invite extends to any others who might be at this allotment site.
    E!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Did anybody hear about allotments planned for Santry Park, in the old walled garden?

According to yesterday's RTE news the draw for 90 allotments in St Anne's Pk will take place this week. :)

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1075282

Fingers crossed and good luck to all.

Still a disgraceful way of handling it though.

• Advertisement

I was lucky in the draw. I received email notification today.

I should be overjoyed but instead I feel a bit ill at ease at the thoughts of everyone who pushed for this project to happen that haven't managed to get a slice of the pie.

However, for those of us that have succeeded I foresee some back breaking digging ahead. :D

Advertisement