Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I go alone?

• 17-04-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

Im very upset about something , my mates are heading off travelling soon for the year and I really wanted to go too.

My job is very important to me - I would much prefer to go noxt year so I can get ahead in my job ....

Has anyone got any genuine advice on whether I would be ok to just wait till next year and go travelling on my own?

Would I be missing out not going with my mates-surely it would be so much better??

I know some people think it best to travel and experience alone but genuine advice please??

Thank you

Rockstar*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I wouldn't let the fact that i had to go alone put me off the idea. You will be fine and will meet lots of people. Thousands of people go at it alone and just meet others to hang out with for a few days and move on either with or without them.

Try take a year out from work if possible. Employers like to see that people have traveled. They think it makes a person have more ambition and open minded.

Also you'll be working for the rest of your life. You could get to the point next year when you are thinking about going but work could be still in the way. And before you know it work is your life and the dream is dead. You should really consider the opportunity while it's there.

Traveling with mates is good craic but because there is a few there is bound to be different personalities. Some people will like to drink more than others, some will like the beach more than others, some will or won't be into the touristy stuff. So you will part ways for a while and meet back up. I prefer a combination of both. I like the fact that i can meet up with mates i know from home after a few weeks of going at it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

i see where your coming from. i travelled for a bit with friends recently. found it hard as nobody ever seems to agree on what to do. i like to site see and do adventure things whereas others just wanted to drink and sit on a beach. Got very frustrating.

I will be looking to travel for a longer period (bout a year) in the near future, the only way i could do it is alone (sounds sad, but its true). It would be good if you could meet friends at certain intervals along the way though, but i would imagine this is hard to put into practice.

The thing is, you will always meet people while travelling who are on their own aswell. Everybody who is travelling (from whatever contry) is nearly always guarenteed to be using either rough guides or lonely planet books as their guide. Therefore, the popular accomadation areas are full of people just like you. Most like to pick up travel partners for a week or two and then move on.

Met a few on the above trip who said they started out with people (girlfriend, or just friends) and had to get away from them. When travelling in groups you are far less likely to meet new people as solo travellers will not approach large groups (usually, as it can be intimidating). So in a group, you will be couped up with these people for a long time, people's habits can get very annoying.

Another thing to consider is your destination. Is it dangerous? If so, a group may be the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Definitely wait and go alone when the timing is better - you'd most likely have a way better time without them!

Why not just meet them somewhere for a 2/3 week holiday - you'll probably find that is more than enough time to spend with a group of mates!

Advertisement