Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

place to live

• 17-04-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    will be moving to waterford city soon, going to be working in the hospital.
    i dont know the city at all, and was hoping ye could give me a few ideas on decent places to live. i want to be within a short (10 or 15 min) drive to work, and near shops etc. what i dont want is to be in a student area (been there done that!). am open to either an apartment or house, not really fussy.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hey there,

The hospital is out on the Dumore road.. and its the opposite side of town to the college so you wont find too many students renting in that area. Its a very nice area and lots of houses/apartments in that area to rent.

Some of the name of estates in the area are Viewmount, Maypark, Earls Court, Collins Avenue, Farnleigh..

Across from the hospital is Tesco, another supermarket called Ardkeen Store, pubs, restaurants, pharmacy, bank etc etc..

Its all about 10 mins by taxi from the city centre at night but the traffic during the day out by the hopital is chaotic.. so if you're working that way, its probably best to live out that way too.

Anymore questions, ask away :D

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, ToxicPaddy has pretty much summed it up. There are two other estates close to the hospital that you might be interested in: Ardkeen Village and Grange Manor.

Neither estate fronts onto the Dunmore Road (Ardkeen Village opens onto the Outer Ring and Grange Manor is on the Williamstown Road), but they're both an easy drive at off-peak times, and if you decide to cut through nearby estates and the shopping centre, they're very convenient to the hospital.

There are two shopping centres in the area, about half a mile apart: the newer one is Tesco, where there's also Next, Homebase, KFC and some other bits and pieces. The older (and posher) one is the Ardkeen shopping centre in the village - Ardkeen stores is a lovely deli-type place, and there's a good range of little shops, banks, library, hairdresser/barber, restaurants, two pubs, etc., etc.

And - I only found this the other day - the area has a website... not sure how up-to-date it is, but still... www.ardkeen.ie

Best of luck! Come back in a few weeks and let us know how you're getting along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

thanks for that, heading down to look around in a few weeks so will let ye know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

sam34 wrote: »
    thanks for that, heading down to look around in a few weeks so will let ye know.

This might help:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

I will rent you my apartment. It is in city centre and on the market for €800. Renting from my directly would be €725.

It is a 3 bed.

• Advertisement

cheers but dont want to be in city centre, would rather be nearer work. and no offence but wiuld rather deal with letting agent than private landlord!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

are you looking for somewhere all for yourself, or to rent a room, maybe share a house?

want to live on my own. i know it'll cost a fair bit but its worth it not to have the headwreck of housemates. ive lived with others in college and it wes the first thing i did when i was earning- get a place to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Solo-Evolution

we live in grantstown park..which is about 10 min walk from the hospital..nd we pay for a house 800...so flat is usually problems with car park nd almost same rent ..so better look around for some house nd some housemates later on ;)

hi, an update of sorts- have a few places lined up to view next wk, earls court and grantstown. i saw an ad on one site tonight for a nice house in fairfield park- does anyone know if thats a reasonable drive to the hospital and a nice area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Heard of Fairfield Rd , Green, Close and Drive but have not heard of Fairfield PARK but if its all these roads together or if its close to these , its the other side of the city near Lismore Heights . A hell of a distance to the hospital you would and should be able to find alot of places closer to rent

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Fairfield Park is in behind Bracken Grove and Bracken Drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Giggles86

Heya, you could try the gelncove apartments they are fab................. there just behind the cove bar you could walk to work and just beside both pubs.. what more could you need. :D

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Fairfield Park is in behind Bracken Grove and Bracken Drive

OP if Aquos is right , which I am 100% sure he is , Althought its still a nice Distance from the Hospital by foot or bus , The Fact that Fairfield Park is past Avondale , makes it a very short distance from the outer ring road which brings you directly to the Hospitals main gate.
    By car
    Fairfield (Bracken ) less than two minutes to Outer Ring Road .
    Outer Ring Road to Hospital Gates Less than 10 minutes (off peak)

I don't travel out that way enough to know what the traffic is like on the Outer Ring Road Roundabouts near the Hospital coming from this direction at Peak times, Maybe someone else may be able to answer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

FAirfield Park is nice. Quiet. No students. No problems with traffic either going to or from the hospital. Theres a pub,shop,pharmacy, chipper and chinese close by (5 min walk)

worth checking out, definitely go havea look at the house dont write it off anyway. You might find it better than the dunmore road because you wont have to face that dunmoe road traffic everyday...once your on the ring road your flying it

well, i went down last week and was a bit disillusioned to be honest. didnt get to see the places in grantstown or earls court as both had been rented out that morning as i was en route down to waterford. so, back to the drawing board. it now looks like i'll have to rent an apartment in city centre- has anyone any idea what the following places are like- the courtyard in mary st and railway square in manor st and the james gate apartments?

all info gratefully received!

sam34 wrote: »
    well, i went down last week and was a bit disillusioned to be honest. didnt get to see the places in grantstown or earls court as both had been rented out that morning as i was en route down to waterford. so, back to the drawing board. it now looks like i'll have to rent an apartment in city centre- has anyone any idea what the following places are like- the courtyard in mary st and railway square in manor st and the james gate apartments?

all info gratefully received!

Mary St. is just off the end of the Quay to the right of the bridge , All the apartments down there are newly build (with in the last 4 years ) The area is quiet enough alot of polish and other nationalities living in the area. Most of the buildings have private parking and security gates some have security person on duty. As for distance and travel to Hopital You will be a a hell of a long way away from hospital and I cannot think of any easy or quick routes to drives. The quay is a nightmare at peak times. and all other routes will take you through the city or take learning if you know want I mean.

Railway Square. is just off the main nightlife centre of the city good for your social side. About 100 yards from all the main nightclubs and late bars . But think the area itself is reasonably quiet .Manor St is a just the name of a short distance of the main through road , passing through the city centre i.e Cork Road.The apartments in Railway Square are new (about 1to 2 years old ) Think they are finding it hard to fill them. As for travel to work , it is a distance but could be alot better to Drive than Mary st again you will looking to learn a few routes ie via Johns hill or the folly . It will just take a bit of trial and error.

sorry do not know where james gate apartments are located.

thanks rockman. i went down again yesterday and at about 5pm i finally got a 2 bed apartment in maypark, which is very near the hospital. couldnt believe the demand for places though, loads of people i was ringing were saying that the apartment was already gone, even though it was up on daft only a day or so. anyway, i'm sorted, thankfully.

Good to hear that you got sorted.
    Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Advertisement