Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin: 19th April

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

great spin today lads - furthest i've been yet (at least over the hills) and a good test to see how the fitness really is (ok, but it needs improvement).

by the time i got home i was so hungry i would have willingly eaten in abrakebabra, and so thirsty i would have drunk budweiser, without even complaining. totally fúcked, in other words. but still, i'm pleased.

141km @ 24.2 (av)

very happy with that...

and cheers to those who let me hide behind them out of that feckin head wind on the way home. needed that.

my geography is poor, was this the route we took?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

looks like the most direct route all right.
    Mine was 90.83 km at 23.0km/h avg. Gutted not to have broached 100km :( Still the furthest I've ever been though.
    Left Rtd at roundwood and set off following the signs for enniskerry - got a bit worried that I'd end up on the M11, as the signs stopped saying enniskerry and started saying bray and kilmecanogue. Found the road to enniskerry though.
    And yeah, a hell of a headwind out my side too.
    Great turnout though, nice to meet even more faces.
    Now for a feed of pints - I've got 3699 calories to replace according to my HRM :)

My route here:http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dun-laoghaire/214512654

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

niceonetom wrote: »
    by the time i got home i was so hungry i would have willingly eaten in abrakebabra, and so thirsty i would have drunk budweiser, without even complaining. totally fúcked, in other words. but still, i'm pleased.

first of all, well done today guys..sounds like it was a good spin.

Just to note, you should never arrive home\during training be hungry, you should eat regular while on the bike/excercising, its not good for your body and also will slow down your full recovery......

I usually bring more food than i need, just in case cos you never know how you would feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Smithslist, what kind of food do you bring with you/ should one bring? Say for a 100km spin like kenmc did earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

smithslist wrote: »
    Just to note, you should never arrive home\during training be hungry, you should eat regular while on the bike/excercising, its not good for your body and also will slow down your full recovery......

it's impossible to eat enough calories to replace what you're burning on a longish spin like that so i think it's inevitable that your going to be in some calorie debt by the end.

i had 4 nutrigrains and a bar o choc but that last 20k or so the bloodsugar was all gone and the water bottle empty (that's purely poor planing). i didn't really expect to be out so long but i'll be better stocked next time. gotta get something a little more calorific than those nutrigrains though... and bigger bottles.

• Advertisement

Had you planned for the trip Tom, pasta last night, bowl of porridge this morning etc? That's a savage looking route you did - even if I was in the car doing that I'd stop for a bite! Also isotonic drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

oobydooby wrote: »
    Smithslist, what kind of food do you bring with you/ should one bring? Say for a 100km spin like kenmc did earlier?

in terms of food, i would bring sport bars (high5 or powerbar etc), and gel(s) (emergency supply), but i have tried and tested alot of different cereal & sports bar(s) so its really wat suits u best, but would prefer sport bars rather than the cereal ones......

in terms of amount of food to bring, it really depends on the individual fitness levels and the type of spin (intense\easy), for a 100k 28-30km\hr spin I would bring 2x sports bars, a gel and a banana, but generally i would only use banana and one sports bar......but also its good to know the route, intensity level, size of group before you start spin to measure wat food to bring, only from experience you will learn really

it's impossible to eat enough calories to replace what you're burning on a longish spin like that so i think it's inevitable that your going to be in some calorie debt by the end.

true and not true, first thing its important not to have a hunger feeling while exercising, that is all im saying.....BTW what your computer says what you calorie burn is incorrect, you can use different computers for the same spin and all of them will give you a different calorie lost figure, it should just be used as a general idea but i wuldnt look much into it.
    i had 4 nutrigrains and a bar o choc but that last 20k or so the bloodsugar was all gone and the water bottle empty (that's purely poor planing). i didn't really expect to be out so long but i'll be better stocked next time. gotta get something a little more calorific than those nutrigrains though... and bigger bottles.

a good idea is to bring some money with u, just in case you need food\drink, you can always buy some food\drink if you run of it, trust me I've learned the hard way.....and nway dont be shy and ask the guys in the group if they have any spare food

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jesus well done guys, it really wasn't ideal weather for such a long spin! I did a leisurely 45k after messing with my brakes (they are shít shít cantis, need replacing.) niceonetom, if you managed 141km in this weather the W200 will be a walk in the park. End April and it feels like winter. But with more wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Tom, I ate 4 nutrigrains, 2 chocolate bars and 2 gels. I was still famished when I got home :) and I had a decent breakfast before I left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Well done boys,just to say you should try and get those breakfasts in at least 2 hrs before you set out, that way the goodness will come out just when you need it,that headwind yesterday would have drained all the energy out of you,it was rough.

• Advertisement

bunnygreen wrote: »
    you should try and get those breakfasts in at least 2 hrs before you set out, that way the goodness will come out just when you need it

Sorry 4 the hijack and the naive questions, but as a lurking leisure cyclist who wants to get into the sport a bit...
    Is that 2 hours before you hit the steep hills or 2 hours before you mount the bike? 5am porridge is more like making the transition from leisure cyclist to monk!
    [I usually head out at 7am so I can do my chores by midday:(]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

oobydooby wrote: »
    Sorry 4 the hijack and the naive questions, but as a lurking leisure cyclist who wants to get into the sport a bit...
    Is that 2 hours before you hit the steep hills or 2 hours before you mount the bike? 5am porridge is more like making the transition from leisure cyclist to monk!
    [I usually head out at 7am so I can do my chores by midday:(]

Usually two hours before getting on the saddle is reccommended...

Personally, I go out without eating, but that's because I want to burn off the excess fat I have (not the best idea I know, but it works for me), and would then eat in the saddle to keep reserves up, but less than the other guys. I think, as with a lot of things, your milage may vary. It really just takes experimentation and experience to find what works best for you

Advertisement