Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Advisory Group

Options
  • 17-04-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Maybe this has been well aired before but I'm relatively new to this forum so apologies if it has. I'm wondering if there is an active group in Ireland that represents the concerns of cyclists or is there one that requires re-energising? The quality, energy and sheer common sense of debate on this forum is such that I feel it should be harnesseed and put into some really productive use. With the Greens in power surely time has never been better to get some real momentum going on this issue. What about the formation of a pressure/advisory group from this forum who could request a meeting with someone like Eamon Ryan and work to prepare a blueprint for cycling in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I call junior vice president!

In all seriousness tho, thats a great idea and i'd be interested in helping in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There is the Dublin Cycling Campaign, http://home.connect.ie/dcc/ which have monthly meetings and appear to be active.

They unfortunately have no online public forum and I haven't seen any official postings from them on this board either.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

I thought there was a group somewhere. My suggestion however is for a National forum and also to harness the power of online discussion which seems to have the ability to instigate very high quality debate over a wide range of issues and is not location specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

On the DCC page they say this
    The cycling campaigns in Dublin, Galway, Cork, Waterford, Kilkenny and Skerries are in the process of establishing a national body to represent the interests of commuting cyclists on the national level. This will give us greater clout in dealings with the Department of transport, National Roads Authority, Road Safety Authority, Iarnród Éireann and other bodies.

But as you point out, there seems to be little interaction with the general public via online forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Well I for one would like to see a lobby group for allowing bicycles on certain public transport. Specifically the Dart...

• Advertisement
Advertisement