Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying problem

• 17-04-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, this is about strange, so please, stick with me!

Bout two weeks ago my PC packed it in. I ordered a new Dell which arrived today, and the guy in PC World sold me an empty external HD which I transferred my old PC's HD into. He told me I could rescue my files this way - whcih would be pretty nice considering I've spent alot on buying songs legitimately from i-tunes.

I can access 90% of the file son the drive - my dads photos, my brothers essays, etc. But when I try to open my profiles 'My Music' file I get an error message saying that access is denied.

I'm pretty stumped; everyone elses 'My Documents' folders and their content is perfectly accessible. Why is mine being so mean??? Any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you need to take ownership of the files and then change permissions
    right click and go into security it's in there somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

it said to drag the folder into a shared folder, which I tried, but nothing.

Ugh this is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

if you are using vista there is a handy little tweaking programme called WinBubble which can add a "Take Ownership" option to the context menu , you can download it here
    http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/

Bumping this. Using XP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

You say the music is legit and bought from itunes , so whats in your my music folder ?
    Is that your itunes folder , if so the problem is that your bought music is obfuscated and needs to be associated with a valid itunes account to play it , Itunes bought stuff is riddled with DRM and needs to be accessed like so , you cannot just drag it and drop it at will !!

Try opening itunes , validating your account ( I think you get to do that on 5 different PC's ) then try accessing that folder within itunes and see if your music pops up.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

mathias wrote: »
    You say the music is legit and bought from itunes , so whats in your my music folder ?
    Is that your itunes folder , if so the problem is that your bought music is obfuscated and needs to be associated with a valid itunes account to play it , Itunes bought stuff is riddled with DRM and needs to be accessed like so , you cannot just drag it and drop it at will !!

Try opening itunes , validating your account ( I think you get to do that on 5 different PC's ) then try accessing that folder within itunes and see if your music pops up.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

The i-tunes folder is within my My Music folder - along with a half-dozen Cubase files (music recording software) and about a hundred drum loops. I don't think it's i-tunes, because I can access my brothers' profile and his MyMusic folder accesses fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

you need to take ownership of the files and then change permissions
    right click and go into security it's in there somewhere

Full instructions here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Lads thanks a million to each and every one of you for helping me. I got the problem sorted - I finally got the security tab to show by running XP Pro in safe mode. And it's all good. Thanks alot for taking the time to help me, I really do appreciate it.

Advertisement