Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Why is there an exit for Moneygall ? it's not a major town and no distance from Roscrea or Nenagh

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Why is there an exit for Moneygall ? it's not a major town and no distance from Roscrea or Nenagh

Keep traffic out of Roscrea? It's an exit for Moneygall, Dunkerrin and Toomevara really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's for Obama when he comes to visit!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that the junctions on the Castletown to Nenagh section of the M7 are woefully under spec and in fact dangerous.

From passing on the N7, they don't seem to be visibly getting through much work in the last couple of weeks. They haven't done anything at the moneygall junction for over a week after they laid tar on the southbound slip. The Nenagh tie in looks a like there is the world of work to do before it starts to even look like a motorway road. They seem to be sinking and widening the road at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Deedsie wrote: »
    they don't seem to be visibly getting through much work in the last couple of weeks

Do they have to leave a settling period between surfacing different layers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

aha!!! thing is, i wouldnt like lots of HGVs going through Donaghmore and Rathdowney....

There's quite a low bridge just after you pass Killasmeestia school, that might stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Its interesting that the LILO junctions on the M7 are considered acceptable.

Wasn't the fact that the junctions on the Athlone bypass are LILO junctions given as a reason why it couldn't be upgraded to motorway status, that they weren't up to a sufficient standard? Or am I wrong in saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Athlone bypass had more to do with local objections if I recall. There's still a possibility of it being motorway. The 100km/hr limit has more to do with the curves and sightlines on the road.

The Ennis bypass has LILOs by the looks of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The bloody things are right on top of each other in Athlone, the M7 ones are miles apart and should not be as heavily trafficked either.

There is an argument for LILO going to T Junction not roundabout on connecting R and L roads on lightly trafficked exits....sub 3k veeehikle movements a day sorts.

M18 Ennis Bypass also has some but the main Ennis exit is very high grade so it is not just a Tipp thing :) . My main concern is a good long slip to get up to speed as you enter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Also make sure there is adequate warning that there is a Sharp Left Turn ahead so that cars don't slip off at speed, miss the turn and plough into cars joining the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

As well as the ennis bypass there will be LILOs on the Gort to Crusheen scheme and the Gort to Tuam scheme. All of them actually barring rathmorrissey and Gort is half a LILO!! The junctions on the M7 would be busier however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

tech2 wrote: »
    As well as the ennis bypass there will be LILOs on the Gort to Crusheen scheme and the Gort to Tuam scheme. All of them actually barring rathmorrissey and Gort is half a LILO!!

Gort Crusheen LILOs are enter from above and exit from below, inherently much safer than the ones north of Ennis and with decent enough turn radius from what I remember. :( Athlone has an admixture of both.

Loads of activity today where Nenagh/Castletown joins Portlaoise/cualahill scheme. The median has been extended under the borris in ossory off ramp. I presume they will be able start lining as soon as the median is in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They've been working at that section for a good few weeks now. I reckon most of the heavy landscaping work is done at the off/on ramps now

Are the roadworks in Moneygall this week to do with this project?

The moneygall slip road on the village side of the bridge looks finished and ready for marking. The slip on the Roscrea side is still all gravel.

Most of the work I've seen them at lately has been focused on the join up at borris in ossory (Junction 21), levelling out the surface in between the N7 & slips and laying tar on the first ramp (Junction 23), making great progress on the Nenagh tie in, 200 m of tar laid on one side of the road and you can see the median barrier in both directions from the bridge at junction 24, so this tie in shouldn't take much more than two/three weeks.

I haven't got near junction 22 roscrea, so I don't know the state of play here. I do remember a poster stating there were difficulties here?

All in all progress is slow but they seem to be getting close to a finish. Some signs are up, and when the junctions are finished they should be able finish the median and start the road markings, cats eyes and finish the signing.

I can never understand why this road gets less attention than the others. Is this not as important in some peoples view?

I drive through Toomevara, Moneygall Roscrea etc every day. I genuinely can't wait till this opens, It's 34km in length. Presuming the median, junctions surface works were finished. How long would marking, cats eyes, landscaping and signage take for 34 km of road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I haven't got near junction 22 roscrea, so I don't know the state of play here. I do remember a poster stating there were difficulties here?

the junction itself is just about ready, the overbridge is open to traffic, barriers are up, lamp posts are erected awaiting lights to be attached and most of the landscaping is done. they started yesterday on digging out the old N62 where the M7 will bisect it, dont think it will take too long for them to join up the motorway. say a month and they will be finished here.

as far as i know it is around knock that things seem to have slowed up. i know that near Nenagh - on the road to the ballingarry landfill - the overbridge is done there too and the motorway is very advanced. just seems to be the stretch from east of knock hill to borris in ossory which seems to be the least developed and that isnt a big stretch by any means.

They were putting in more of the median strip on the Limerick side of junction 24 today. Progress is slow enough at the tie in here. I read on the Nenagh Limerick thread that castletown to Nenagh motorway won't open till Christmas. At the pace they are working it is hard to argue this suggested date.

Very frustrating it's going to take so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭trellheim

drove the N7 for the 10th time this year yesterday .... it'll be a goood long whil before it's done I'd say the next sequence of openings is

M7 bog
    M9 final
    M7 bog closes again due to subsidence
    M7 C'town->Nee-Naw ( dec 18th or so )

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    drove the N7 for the 10th time this year yesterday .... it'll be a goood long whil before it's done I'd say the next sequence of openings is

M7 bog
    M9 final
    M7 bog closes again due to subsidence
    M7 C'town->Nee-Naw ( dec 18th or so )

Can't really argue with this, but hope you are wrong about the last two. Perhaps the bog is sorted out now. There is no 'new' evidence to suggest it is or isn't going to be open for the liftime of the road. For all we know MEIC have done a miraculous job of repairing and completing the bog section in amazing time. As for Castletown to Nenagh, I drive Nenagh to Portlaoise ten times a week up and down. I really don't understand the hold up on it. I'm gonna hope for a late November opening, but that's probably being optimistic. Does anyone know how much this section of road is costing?

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/LaoisCountyCouncil/N7CastletowntoNenagh/SchemeName,16480,en.html

It says here estimated completion date December 2009 & end of constructio Quarter 3 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Article in the Irish Times today says the following:
    Mr O’Neill also confirmed yesterday the last section of the project from Nenagh to Castletown is on schedule and is due for completion in November.

This project starts at the most easterly junction of the Nenagh bypass and finishes at the Borris-in-Ossory interchange. It is being constructed as part of the M7/M8 scheme.

Full article:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0831/1224277910300.html

They started working on the slip road on the Roscrea side of junction 23 Moneygall today. The slip road on the Nenagh side is almost complete apart from lining and cats eyes etc

Junction 24 Nenagh East is progressing slowly. They have been focusing on the east bound lane for the last week or so, prob another week to finish it. They seem to be just levelling out the west bound lane and preparing for the layers. An extra 150 metres of median had been constructed east of the bridge. Probably about 400 - 600 metres of a gap to the next section of completed median. Prob a month left in this junction at the current pace.

I'd say it will be late November it will open at the current rate of construction.

Junction 24 Nenagh East is progressing slowly. They have been focusing on the east bound lane for the last week or so, prob another week to finish it. They seem to be just levelling out the west bound lane and preparing for the layers.

1 week later, very little change. Could be end of October before junction 24 will be complete at the current rate of progress. Very very, slow. Would anyone know how many people are employed on this scheme?

the junction itself is just about ready, the overbridge is open to traffic, barriers are up, lamp posts are erected awaiting lights to be attached and most of the landscaping is done. they started yesterday on digging out the old N62 where the M7 will bisect it, dont think it will take too long for them to join up the motorway. say a month and they will be finished here.

as far as i know it is around knock that things seem to have slowed up. i know that near Nenagh - on the road to the ballingarry landfill - the overbridge is done there too and the motorway is very advanced. just seems to be the stretch from east of knock hill to borris in ossory which seems to be the least developed and that isnt a big stretch by any means.

Any word on progress at these sections Benny?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Very little as it seems, passed both on my way down yesterday

Mc Love wrote: »
    Very little as it seems, passed both on my way down yesterday

What progress had been made? The slip roads in Moneygall are progressing. Nenagh junction is starting to look like a road again. Four mounds of gravel to lay and the can star levelling it out.

It is now official, the castltown to Nenagh section will be the last piece in the M7 jigsaw. The Nenagh Limerick road will open next Tuesday.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bog-motorway-to-open-next-week-2345634.html

Junction 24 is coming on a fair bit. There is probably only just under 100 metres of a gap. The next job is to lay the tar/black top on the junction. I can't imagine this will take that long. Does anyone know if any lining has been done anywhere along the length of this road?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 summer11

I stopped as I was passing this project and a worker said that the "Final Wearing Course is being applied and work is progressing on m-way signage."

He felt that the road will open early November......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement