Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 b2dadizzle

Lads, can we take it now that this definitely won't be open this week? Was hoping that it would be open by Sunday as I'm travelling to Shannon that day, and home on Monday to Carlow. Thought I'd seen the last of Moneygall and Toomevara. Is there many works taking place on that road these days, anything that would cause significant delays on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Same here. I travel to Dublin later in the week, I really hoped the motorway would be open.

But looks like I will get to see Moneygall, Toomevara and Roscrea a few more times between now and Christmas.

Anyone hear of an opening date yet for the motorway? I got a few replies all pointing to a pre Christmas opening, with no specific date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I don't see it being open till the weather gets better. None of its been treated and I'm sure a lot of it is frozen?

I can't wait to see it opened too as having to come off at borris in ossory is a pain as its pretty far from the n7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Has all work stopped due to the weather or are they still plugging away? Has anyone passing noticed?

I'll be passing on sunday evening so I'll have a look and give an update. I have my doubts that there's much work taking place on the road at the moment anyway, as Laois/Tipp appear to have been hit pretty bad with this weather, maybe making it difficult for the workers to actually turn up each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Passed yesterday and they were doing cats eys and lining for the offramp at the link up at the end of the Nenagh bypass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Picture from the INDO, wonder how they got it. It is from the mire of gloom area on the M7.

Van-01_I_759605t.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/road-pileups-spark-call-for-nutter-drivers-to-slow-down-2450525.html

Road pile-ups spark call for 'nutter' drivers to slow down

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Picture from the INDO, wonder how they got it. It is from the mire of gloom area on the M7.

Van-01_I_759605t.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/road-pileups-spark-call-for-nutter-drivers-to-slow-down-2450525.html

Road pile-ups spark call for 'nutter' drivers to slow down

Are we looking at the first life saved due to this stretch of motor way?

I know it can be said with certainty but if this happened on the old road we were more likely to see another road Fatality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If a man was going from Limerick to Athlone when the road opens will it be quicker to stay on the M7 until Roscrea and join the N62 to Birr or go the Normal way through Nenagh-Borrisakane... Its Longford I am going to actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lechien

AA Traffic Update

On Wed 8th Dec from 10.30am to 12.30pm, M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd will close southbound from J24 Toomevara to J25 Nenagh Centre

Traffic will be diverted via R445 to Nenagh and N52 to Carrigatogher Interchange (J26 Nenagh West) and will add up to 15mins to journey time. The short period closure is in order to remove two small sections of barrier at J25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

sounds like progress. hardly be opened this friday but quiet possible that it could open next friday. Has there been any road opening announced less than a week from the open date?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Living in Limerick, I took a job in Portlaoise last year. At the beginning, the motorway started just as I arrived at Portlaoise. The journey then included the dreadful single lane Nenagh bypass, lined with cones and a 60kph speed limit.

In mid-December last year, that bypass became a motorway - a beginning! Just before Easter, Nenagh-Birdhill opened. In the summer, the tolled Portlaoise to Borris-In-Ossory section arrived. And, finally, a couple of months ago, the bog of doom receded and it was goodbye to Daly's Cross and Birdhill!

I still have my job. My final destiny awaits. Can I just get the last bit of road opened?? It will mean door-to-door in less than 60 minutes to work. Now, that would be something....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Come on now, unless you were unlucky nobody did the 60kph on that road when it had the cones!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Living in Limerick, I took a job in Portlaoise last year. At the beginning, the motorway started just as I arrived at Portlaoise. The journey then included the dreadful single lane Nenagh bypass, lined with cones and a 60kph speed limit.

In mid-December last year, that bypass became a motorway - a beginning! Just before Easter, Nenagh-Birdhill opened. In the summer, the tolled Portlaoise to Borris-In-Ossory section arrived. And, finally, a couple of months ago, the bog of doom receded and it was goodbye to Daly's Cross and Birdhill!

I still have my job. My final destiny awaits. Can I just get the last bit of road opened?? It will mean door-to-door in less than 60 minutes to work. Now, that would be something....

Fair play, 60 minutes is still a bloody long commute though.

But at least your moving for that 60 mins I'd prefer that commute than heading into dublin for an hour every morning in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

-Corkie- wrote: »
    If a man was going from Limerick to Athlone when the road opens will it be quicker to stay on the M7 until Roscrea and join the N62 to Birr or go the Normal way through Nenagh-Borrisakane... Its Longford I am going to actually.

I do the run to Longford/Roscommon very regularly and always use the Nenagh/Borrisokane route (going through Borrisokane towards Portumna and turning off a couple of miles out rather than diverting to Birr). Its not the best road ever but its reliable in terms of time. I can't see why continuing to Roscrea would shorten the journey in time or miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

dergside wrote: »
    I do the run to Longford/Roscommon very regularly and always use the Nenagh/Borrisokane route (going through Borrisokane towards Portumna and turning off a couple of miles out rather than diverting to Birr). Its not the best road ever but its reliable in terms of time. I can't see why continuing to Roscrea would shorten the journey in time or miles.

I love the bog road but herself isnt to fond of it. Might use the Motorway in future. I normally do about 70mph along it which is way above the limit..:o

You mean the bog road south of Cloghan I suppose. Wait till you lose a suspension after it cracks up in dry weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

-Corkie- wrote: »
    dergside wrote: »

I think it all depends on what part of Limerick you are coming from (You know the old saying .... If I was going there I wouldnt start from here..;))

I travel from near the Rossbrien Interchange to Roscommon Town on a fairly regular bases and occasionally further up to the N4. I have not had to make the trip since the M18 Bypassed Gort.. BUT

I use to find very little difference in timing either travelling through Nenagh/Borrisokane or traveling Gort/Loughrea/Ballinasloe/Athlone/Roscommon or Gort/Loughrea/Ballinasloe/Athleague/Roscommon. I did find the Gort/Loughrea easier in the Dark than Nenagh/Borrisokane.

I think that with the Gort bypass this may now be the easier quicker route. You always have the option of the old N6 or the new (tolled) M6 when you get to Loughrea. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Can we get back to the scheme in the thread title, and away from driving directions between Limerick and Roscommon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Great to hear about the barrier removal at the nenagh side!

They haven't done anything at borris in ossory side for the last two to three weeks but I think they are more or less finished here anyways.

I drive from Roscrea to Newbridge everyday for work so from having to go through every town (even portlaoise at the beginning :eek:), and sometimes taking three hours to get home, I'll just have to cross Roscrea to the M7 and I'll have motorway all the way :)

Can't wait!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Incredible. I've never in my whole life had a commute longer than 30 mins. I don't know how you people do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

spacetweek wrote: »
    Incredible. I've never in my whole life had a commute longer than 30 mins. I don't know how you people do it!

Well, according to your Location <---- you're in Dublin. A 30 minute commute in Dublin the the same as a 60 minute one elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

spacetweek wrote: »

Lucky you, long may it continue for you.

Has the distraction of the budget and IMF/EU bailout prevented this road from opening. Also would the weather affect the opening that much, once the finshing coarse is down its cats eyes, line painting and landscaping all of these should be able to work away in the cold.
    What is the temperature minimum for laying tar?

I don't think of any of the above would have had a major impact on the finishing of this road, apart from the weather preventing people from turning up to work. All the major work should have been completed by now. They really should be winding down at the minute and clearing everything away for the opening. Has anyone heard anything today about the opening date. Furet, you usually have good up-to-date info. Got any on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 summer11

I have heard that the road will open on December 20th.

I thought beforehand but it now looks likely on above date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

Yep i can confirm the 20th too. Not too long now. Will have it open for when i drive home for xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Excellent news, I'll update the thread title on expected opening date. Soon the last bit of the inter-urban network will be finished and we can drive between Limerick and Dublin by dual carriageway/motorway standard road. Last but not least!!

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    Soon the last bit of the inter-urban network will be finished

Ehhhhh, make that 2020 when Galway - Cork is finished :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement