Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

dergside wrote: »
    I'll be more reassured by a message from the NRA confirming that than a local politician trying to score a point in the local popularity contest.

Well, if the sub-contractors have been paid, I don't see any reason why next Wednesday wouldn't be a day to open her up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

I had confirmation saying it was Monday here before but at this stage i am going to just wait till it opens. I will have to wait till next year to use it if it does open as i am finishing up this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Great news, but will probably have to take it handy with this bloody weather.

Glad they got sorted.

Bye bye Roscrea, Moneygall, Toomevara, it's been emotional.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Will they open this in this weather? By Wednesday that road will be under snow and ice (if the weather predictions are right). Is it safe to open it under those conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

At this stage who knows. When i saw this first it smells of weather being used as the latest excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Will they open this in this weather? By Wednesday that road will be under snow and ice (if the weather predictions are right). Is it safe to open it under those conditions?

Surely even under snow and ice it will a lot safer than the existing route. At the very least it will have divided carriageways so the chance of head on collisions during these conditions will be reduced to zero. I'm working on the assumption that it will be gritted and ploughed which I imagine it will be if its going to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

You either (a) work for Bowens or (b) haven't a clue what you're talking about.
    Previous to this project Bowen's had never won any road scheme of this size - and it showed in thier approach . The main reason they're in such trouble finantially is that they were unable to manage the job properly.
    Just beacause an Conciliator awarded them a large sum means nothing. Concilliation takes place over a few days and the Conciliator has a week to make a ruling - it's all very much "he said, she said" . Arbitration is totally different - it will take place over the course of months and evidence will be heard 'courtroom style'. Expect a very different result come the time.

I (a) don't work for Bowen and (b) never claimed to be an expert on anything.

I have a buddy who is v familiar with this scheme (and is not a Bowen employee either) and he filled me on the background info. Time and the Arbitrator will tell i suppose!!;)

BTW who built the N8 Wategrasshill-Glanmire Bypass ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Some interesting points in the above posts - however, I think we need new laws to protect workers, sub-contractors and their rights - after all, if I go into my local supermarket and say that I'll pay for the goods in my trolley when I have the dosh later in the week, or get a plumber to fix my heating and tell him that he'll have to wait until I get my next pay cheque in a forthnight, I very much doubt that I'd get away with it. It looks like it's one rule for the small guys and one for the big.

Oh there are rules in place and pretty strong ones at that but if they decide to put you through the courts it can take months if not years to get a settlement and then you have the costs of the legal actions.

The employees would be well within their rights to take the subcontractor to court but if he does not have the money then that would force them into liquidation and no one would get paid.

This is a risk that very single business takes when ti accepts and order without payment in advance. I don't know of a single company (unless its a cash on the nose operation such as a shop or supermarket) that hasn't had invoices paid very late or a certain percentage of bad debts. It has destroyed more than one company.
    Now, I know the above posters are just explaining the current situation, but the same situation brings to mind the ghastly prospect not getting several weeks of due wages before Christmas - l don't have childern myself, but how would you explain the fact that Santa didn't come - I'm sure many of the M7 workers have childern and if they haven't been paid since Nov 1st, I doubt the propects for Christmas Cheer would be too good. It's just not fair! :mad:

Oh I agree but it happens far more often than you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭messi1985

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Thank God for that. Still though an official confirmation from the NRA would be ideal to ally everyone's fears.

Probably Noel Dempsey's last official engagement on account of retiring as there isin't really anything else being near completion for a long time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Brabus wrote: »
    Probably Noel Dempsey's last official engagement on account of retiring

Thank goodness for that. He and his predecessor knew nothing about transport and had a very poor command of their briefs, particularly Dempsey.

So, when this opens there'll be no current road construction for the first time since the 90s, albeit only for a few weeks before an exciting package of schemes kicks off in January.

Final part of M7 to open as dispute settled

OLIVIA KELLY

THE FINAL section of the long-awaited M7 motorway from Dublin to Limerick is expected to be open before Christmas, the National Roads Authority (NRA) has said.

The NRA said it hopes to open the road by next Wednesday, weather permitting, following the resolution of a dispute which had left 40 workers without pay since November 1st.

The employees of KC Civil Engineering, a subcontractor on the €345 million project, had threatened to dig up parts of the 36km stretch of motorway between Nenagh and Borris-in-Ossory if they were not paid more than €200,000 owed to them.

The company said it had been unable to pay its workers because it had not been paid by the main contractor, Bowen Somague Joint Venture, which was in turn seeking payment of a conciliation award of €26 million from Laois County Council.

A spokesman for the NRA said a “framework” had been established which would allow the remaining contractual and financial issues to be resolved in an amicable way.

A spokeswoman for Bowen Somague said there had been “constructive discussions” and negotiations had progressed to the point where the money for the workers could be released as long as they returned to work. Only minor works remained outstanding and it was expected the work would be completed before Christmas.

David Byrne, a spokesman for the workers who this week blockaded the motorway, said they would be returning to work having received confirmation that the sums, which ranged from €5,000 to €6,000 per man would be paid.

The resolution of the dispute follows the intervention this week of Taoiseach Brian Cowen, in whose constituency the final section is located. Mr Cowen sought reports from the Department of Transport, Laois County Council and the contractors in relation to the dispute. The workers had appealed to Mr Cowen and Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey to intervene to resolve the dispute.

The M7 motorway scheme is the last element of the Government’s €18 billion plan to link regional cities to the capital.

The Government had initially planned to have all these major inter-urban motorways completed by 2006. This was amended to 2010 in the National Development Plan 2007-2013.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1218/1224285835639.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Furet wrote: »
    So, when this opens there'll be no current road construction for the first time since the 90s, albeit only for a few weeks before an exciting package of schemes kicks off in January.

M1 widening scheme not count?

MYOB wrote: »
    M1 widening scheme not count?

I suppose it might. I'm thinking more new builds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭messi1985

from personal teaching experience, noel dempsey did s""g all to help education, he be better off leaving the m7 alone

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He was also ineffectual in communications in relation to broadband and DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

I think Noel is great - it's his birthday soon. He makes me very proud ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Furet wrote: »

Fair play to the Irish times for at last mentioning these were supposed to be done in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

All things going ahead I will get to try it out Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

YEEEEEAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

Can't wait to use the new M7 when it opens!!! I really hope it will actually open next Wed now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There was work goin on today at the Borris In Ossory end. Looked like they were cleaning the snow off the road. Concrete barriers were gone off slip roads too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

driving to clare xmas eve, this will make it easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Travelled it twice last week and again yesterday.

At the Nenagh end there is no snow but some frost (gritting would suffice) and on the Borris In Ossery end some light snow that wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to lift.

Dont think weather will be a reason to hold off opening.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Looks like it really is going ahead:D
    The National Roads Authority hopes to open the Castletown to Nenagh section of the M7 motorway, which links Dublin with Limerick and Kerry on Wednesday.

The opening of the 36km section of the road was being held up because of a dispute over payments.

The dispute was between the NRA, Laois the main contractor, Bowen Somague Joint Venture, subcontractors such as KC Civil Engineering and Cappawhite plant Hire.

Over 40 workers from the two subcontracting companies had picketed and blocked a number of sites on the roadway last week, because they had not received payments since 1 November.

The workers also picketed at the offices of the NRA, and at the Dáil last week.
    They had also written to the Taoiseach Brian Cowen to ask him to intervene in the dispute, as a large section of the new motorway is located in his constituency.

Bowen Somague has said that constructive discussions had taken place between the parties to try and reach a settlement in recent days.

The NRA has confirmed this morning that there had been a breakthrough in discussions, which would allow the road to be opened next Wednesday.

The workers who had been in dispute were working on the site over the weekend, and its expected that the road will be open to motorists in time for the big travel exodus to the
    Mid and South West regions in time for christmas.

It is the very last section of the States €18bn intercity motorway programme linking Dublin with all the major cities, to be open.

RTE.ie

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

thewing wrote: »
    ....Bye bye Roscrea, Moneygall, Toomevara, it's been emotional.....

Really! :)

I live in Roscrea so might take a spin out to the junction of the M7 tonight to see whats what, GF lives only a mile and a half from the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Really! :)

I live in Roscrea so might take a spin out to the junction of the M7 tonight to see whats what, GF lives only a mile and a half from the junction.

well, driving over it twice today i noticed firstly that they still havent got the streetlights working and secondly that they appear to have noticed that the on-off ramps are stupidly designed and dangerous (as we have been saying on this here forum for about six months).

the solution?? red and white plastic barriers down the middle so you dont drive down the upside of the ramp having made the obviously stupid assumption that these are proper slips onto a motorway just like every other bloody sliproad.

they obviously took them from the rathcoole interchange where they had been doing sterling work for around a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Where is the Invisible Motorway between Dublin, Limerick and Kerry that I don't know about that RTE are reporting on?

I will allow them the common mistake of assuming the N7 between the M50 and Naas is a Motorway as everybody, other than the Gatsos and Gardai, seems to forget.

However, what Motorway connects Limerick to Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Anyone an idea of the likely time it will open. I'm driving back to Dublin on Wednesday was hoping to go early enough but if its not too late I'd hang on to have a go of the new motorway. Still nothing at all on NRA website, they are still saying ongoing dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Berty wrote: »
    Where is the Invisible Motorway between Dublin, Limerick and Kerry that I don't know about that RTE are reporting on?

I will allow them the common mistake of assuming the N7 between the M50 and Naas is a Motorway as everybody, other than the Gatsos and Gardai, seems to forget.

However, what Motorway connects Limerick to Kerry?

It's the same as the way the M4 links Dublin to Galway or M7 links Dublin to Cork...It makes up up alot of the route. Yes, it ends in Limerick. That doesn't mean it isn't used by anyone travelling from Kerry to Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement