Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

so i got to use J22 three times now since it opened and it is as bad as i feared. what i was not expecting was that it would be as bad on the motorway exit as it is. As I am used to the normal off ramps I find the difference between using a normal off ramp for this system to be very disconcerting, as for well over a decade on motorways I would be used to gradually slowing down as I come off the motorway to now suddenly, once in the very short sliproad, having to almost stop.

The exit sign is literally right in your face as you approach, the climb up in way too steep and tight and then when you get to the T-Junction with the N62.... its on a big lip!! God forsake me if there is ice, I knew this was going to be a nutty junction, but the lip you encounter as you come off from the Dublin direction is appalling, surely a sign that they squeezed the junction into an area too tight for it, as the ramp should have been a lot less steep and almost dosnt reach the N62 at a level at all.

Also, minor gripe but relevent - they contractors may hvae gone, but they have left all their temporary speed signs up on the N62 (some with no signs on them just the supports) and the landscaping at the junction was never finished and I guess never will be now.

Sloppy end to our great motorway building era, but somehow fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I went to Portlaoise and back today and was annoyed at how bad the road surface is under the Nenagh flyover section of the Nenagh/Castletown scheme is.

Also there is a flyover/structure which is not even finished along the scheme towards the nenagh end of the scheme.

I had a look at the LILO's and thought that they were very similar to those on the M18 Ennis bypass section and although it would be better to have standard on/off ramps they are not that dangerous looking.

I would wonder if there are stats as to how dangerous the M18 LILOs are.

Also under the Castletown flyover which was recently open, they neglected to sweep the section which has a lot of debris still on the road.

I was coming back from Portaloise towards Limerick and came over the top of the hill and nearly said "WOW" out loud at the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Berty wrote: »
    I was coming back from Portaloise towards Limerick and came over the top of the hill and nearly said "WOW" out loud at the scenery.

That's probably the section from Roscrea to Moneygall - great isn't it?

I'd rate the scenery along the M7 from Portlaoise as follows:

J17-J22 (Portlaoise-Roscrea): Plain enough
    J22-J23 (Roscrea-Moneygall): Really interesting and attractive - motorway bends and curves into the hill really nicely!
    J23-J25 (Moneygall-Nenagh/Thurles): So-so
    J25-J27 (Nenagh/Thurles-Birdhill): Great - the Silvermines mountains on the left most of the way
    J27-J28: (Birdhill-Limerick/Castletroy): For a bog, not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Strange question people,I used the M7 as far as Roscrea from Limerick to Tullamore over Christmas.
    However on my return journey I couldn't find anywhere to join the M7 in Roscrea,I had to head out the N7 and join up later.Where did I go wrong?

Strange question people,I used the M7 as far as Roscrea from Limerick to Tullamore over Christmas.
    However on my return journey I couldn't find anywhere to join the M7 in Roscrea,I had to head out the N7 and join up later.Where did I go wrong?

You needed to head many many KMs in the direction of Templemore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ohh,ok

I didn't see it signposted anywhere in Roscrea for the M7.
    Which would be the quickest way?Head for templemore or head off down the N7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It's no more than 2 km from that McDonalds I would have thought?
    Annoying that the signage hasn't been updated, but no surprise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Furet wrote: »
    It's no more than 2 km from that McDonalds I would have thought?
    Annoying that the signage hasn't been updated, but no surprise at all.
    I've noticed that signposting for motorways on minor roads is very poor. WHen I'm navigating abroad, I'm always looking for signs to the nearest motorway, and can often easily pick these up 15-20km out. These signs are an essential part of navigation.

I live in Limerick, and signposting around the city for the M7 (i.e. how to get to Dublin) is non-existent.

If not the NRA's responsibility, then who's?

Off topic

Signage..................FFS

If you are leaving Limerick on the Roxborough road passing the Garda Station the OLD signs say "Dublin" and points left when clearly if you go right, down passed the hotel and onto the M7 you will get there quicker instead of turning left passing through 8 roundabouts, 4 sets of lights and much traffic.

Silly beggars.

Also see this:

What am I looking at?

This is a sign on Kings Island link road. On the bottom two signs are green coverings, covering up their stupid mistake. It says Lough Derg turn right(City) and The Hunt Museum turn left(Corbally).

Silly beggars

IMG_0245.jpg

I thought this picture would make more sense. At least the M7 signage is correct(desperate attempt to make post look something like the thread)

IMG_0257.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I've noticed that signposting for motorways on minor roads is very poor. WHen I'm navigating abroad, I'm always looking for signs to the nearest motorway, and can often easily pick these up 15-20km out. These signs are an essential part of navigation.

I live in Limerick, and signposting around the city for the M7 (i.e. how to get to Dublin) is non-existent.

If not the NRA's responsibility, then who's?

Much of the very recently installed new signage has accurate directions to the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

I had a look at the LILO's and thought that they were very similar to those on the M18 Ennis bypass section and although it would be better to have standard on/off ramps they are not that dangerous looking.

I would wonder if there are stats as to how dangerous the M18 LILOs are.

I travelled Limerick to Dublin this evening, and there was a minor incident at the Roscrea LILO northbound. Looked like a car had a minor knock at the junction, and a Garda car was there to assist. It looked like there may have been damage to a pole on the island, but it was dark, so maybe someone else can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Drove the new section over new years, thought junction 22 and 23 were wild. For someone expecting the usual slow-down speed and turning radius for coming off the motorway, these are totally different.

Also, how far is McDonalds from the motorway now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Funkstard wrote: »

2 Km at the most

Seven Worlds will Collide

2 Km at the most

For some that's far too far. I don't like stopping once I get going so If I have to leave the Motorway, to go further than an online services, then forget about it.

Bye Bye Roscrea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

For some that's far too far. I don't like stopping once I get going so If I have to leave the Motorway, to go further than an online services, then forget about it.

Same, I can see myself deciding to do the drive (Dub-Lim) in a sprint from now on instead of stopping. Nowhere convenient enough on the journey at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

When you have pregnant wife on board with cravings and sprogs in the back roaring youll be delighted to see McDonalds..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Well I finally got to drive the whole thing over the holidays, brilliant bit of road, we didn't stop until well inside the M50 all the way from Clare (except for paying tolls) last night. Great stuff. This takes at least 45 mins off the journey from Dublin Port to West Clare. I'm sure it will fill up eventually, but driving it at night as we do is great, you don't see a car for several miles at a stretch sometimes.

Same, I can see myself deciding to do the drive (Dub-Lim) in a sprint from now on instead of stopping. Nowhere convenient enough on the journey at the moment.

I'm doing Limerick - Dundalk - Cork tomorrow. Can you believe it? Not one town between here and there to slow me down. I only have to put up with the assholes who arrive onto the Motorway from Carlow during rush hour. :(
    -Corkie- wrote: »
    When you have pregnant wife on board with cravings and sprogs in the back roaring youll be delighted to see McDonalds..:D

I can still buy a 3 door. Sucks to be you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Drove down to Kerry last tuesday, not many cars on road, door to door 3 hours, so its knocked a half hour off my journey, from Monasterevin Exit to end of motorway before Adare it was 1hour 15 mins I think, OH was driving and didnt go over speed limit. Coming back yesterday it was fairly busy but still just over the 3 hours .. Happy Days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Drove it tonight, a journey that used to take over 3 hours how took me 1hr 45min door to door sticking to the 120 speed limit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Clonshaugh+Ave&daddr=52.6434328,-8.6643805+to:Lower+Cecil+St&hl=en&geocode=FardLgMdkDih_w%3BFWhGIwMdxMp7_yl1HvZ2oFxbSDF2K8FumzmVrw%3BFauQIwMdlU98_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&sll=52.643272,-8.604527&sspn=0.054476,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=52.902276,-7.613525&spn=1.732863,4.938354&z=8

Well happy now.

On another note, Those LILO's, especially the off-ramp (Limerick bound) at Moneygall is ridiculously short! The Roscrea one looked longer. Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Drove it tonight, a journey that used to take over 3 hours how took me 1hr 45min door to door sticking to the 120 speed limit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Clonshaugh+Ave&daddr=52.6434328,-8.6643805+to:Lower+Cecil+St&hl=en&geocode=FardLgMdkDih_w%3BFWhGIwMdxMp7_yl1HvZ2oFxbSDF2K8FumzmVrw%3BFauQIwMdlU98_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&sll=52.643272,-8.604527&sspn=0.054476,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=52.902276,-7.613525&spn=1.732863,4.938354&z=8

Well happy now.

On another note, Those LILO's, especially the off-ramp (Limerick bound) at Moneygall is ridiculously short! The Roscrea one looked longer. Can anyone confirm this?
    Very good to read about major improvement re.journey.Many thanks but what is a LILO?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

was driving charleville - dublin earlier this evening, first time on the new section of motorway.
    decided to come off at roscrea for some provisions, the 'lilo' junction is ridiculous. even getting onto the n62 at the top of the junction is a mess as someone said earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Lilo=left in left out? I'm definitely green

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Lilo=left in left out? I'm definitely green
    Yep that's it - refers to the fact that instead of a long acceleration/deceleration lane, you have to turn left to get in or out. Much more dangerous when you're trying to enter or exit from fast moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Question on these junctions - has anyone used them same as the ones on Roscommon side of N6 (J12 and J13)

Are they any worse than these?

Granted Athlone Bypass has lower speed limit but the junctions are alright once you get used to them

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

Question on these junctions - has anyone used them same as the ones on Roscommon side of N6 (J12 and J13)

Are they any worse than these?

I've only used the Roscrea exit, eastbound, so far on the M7. Its not too dissimilar to the eastbound Roscommon exit on the N6 in terms of the abruptness of the angle of turn-off. However, the on ramp to the N6 at the same junction is a more gentle curve than Roscrea. Roscrea seems to have a fairly abrupt and angular left turn on to the M7 carriageway.

As a result of this difference it means that the off bound and on bound traffic at Roscrea get closer to one another at the point of turning on/off the M7 than at the N6 east in Athlone.

I think that familiarity will help minimize the extent of the difficulties that this junction type causes. If it proves troublesome then it shouldn't be too difficult to put an armco in place to keep the lanes of traffic apart if someone overcooks it on exit or entry. Having said that, it does seem like an anomoly in terms of the consistency of design of the rest of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Hi all,
    Finally got to use this piece of roadway over the weekend. Went to Roscrea to see the mother. First thoughts of the LILO junction was 'Bloody hell how has nobody crashed yet coming off the motorway'. Then the greater shock was coming up onto the N62. The markings to STOP are very poorly laid out. If you are unfamiliar with it - be very careful. You could easily be half way across the Roscrea Templemore road before you realise it.

Also noticed that when leaving Roscrea for the M7, there is no signs to direct you out the N62 toward Templemore for the motorway. All the sinage is for the old N7.
    Me thinks that there is still some work needed to be finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

sometime yesterday the last motorway signs on the N62 at the junction had the silver paint removed from them (the stuff they use to obsure the signs when they are not operational) which, coming a couple of weeks after the junction opened, was about time.

the thin red sticks (not sure of the technical term) they have at the Newcastle/Rathcoole interchage on the N7 are mostly in place, but there are still bollards and tied to them at the LILO to go to Dublin/from Limerick there is a handy blue arrow sign just to make sure you dont go down the wrong side.

Also, the people who own property on the templemore side of the junction are getting really brassed off by the number of people who, feeling disorentated by the junction, head off in the wrong direction and are using their enterances to do a turn in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also, the people who own property on the templemore side of the junction are getting really brassed off by the number of people who, feeling disorentated by the junction, head off in the wrong direction and are using their enterances to do a turn in.

Serves them right for building private entrances onto a national route miles from anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement