Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Passed by it today at Moneygall - some bit of work being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The start of the C-N scheme at Borris-in-Ossory last night:

dscf3229l.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

they say on the nenagh guardian that the nenagh castle town section will open before the bog section.

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=5HMM6O
    It is now expected that the Nenagh-Castletown scheme will open ahead of schedule in the autumn and ahead of the Birdhill-Limerick section, which is not likely to carry traffic until later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

clon wrote: »
    they say on the nenagh guardian that the nenagh castle town section will open before the bog section.

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=5HMM6O

also interesting take on the remedial works..
    http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=UR6EMG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Drove from Borris in Ossery to Nenagh today and just as I'm appraching the new motorway as I'm passing the first (currently closed) turn off for Nenagh I pass under a road bridge that's clearly too narrow below to carry a six lane (2 hard shoulders, 2 driving lanes and 2 overtaking lanes) motorway under it. Anyone know what the plan is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

flazio wrote: »
    Drove from Borris in Ossery to Nenagh today and just as I'm appraching the new motorway as I'm passing the first (currently closed) turn off for Nenagh I pass under a road bridge that's clearly too narrow below to carry a six lane (2 hard shoulders, 2 driving lanes and 2 overtaking lanes) motorway under it. Anyone know what the plan is there?

Most likely there'll be no hard shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

flazio wrote: »

I thought (hoped) that they are getting the slip roads ready for the M7 traffic to detour up and back down around the bridge while they replace the bridge supports with right angled supports as opposed to the current arch type one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I drove by this today and tool a few photos that I'll upload later. Seems to be a lot of work left to do. How long would it take to lay the median, barriers, cats eyes, put up signage and road markings once they have the road done? There has been a lot of progress on the Nenagh exit on the Dublin side of the town. There is a roundabout constructed.

From another thread on Gort to Crusheen it says you could do 1 km of median a day. So this stretch is 36 km. Say 6 weeks to be safe. And another two weeks for signage etc and 3 weeks for barriers, cats eyes & bureaucracy. October would be a good estimate opening. Prob the November side of October.

There has been a diversion set up onto the overbridge on the Nenagh end of this scheme. You are now diverted around the new roundabout if travelling towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

When compared to the many threads for the Limerick Tunnel and the Limerick Nenagh Section it's very odd that this section has very few details.

How's progress on this section?

• Advertisement

lukejr wrote: »
    When compared to the many threads for the Limerick Tunnel and the Limerick Nenagh Section it's very odd that this section has very few details.

How's progress on this section?

Junction 24 just east of Nenagh looks like a bomb hit it at the moment. It could take a month just to get that section right. It really looked dreadful passing this morning.

I was wondering, would anyone hazard a guess how long it will take to drive Portlaoise to Limerick when the entire section is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The reason for that might be that the scheme is a real pain to get to. I've visited it twice since it went to construction, and I've regretted it both times, for two reasons. First: The L-roads off the N7 towards Knock and other points of access to the M7 are full of the biggest potholes I have ever seen, which makes driving the roads a real bother. Second: Progress seems ludicrously slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Also many of those posters live in Limerick or close to it. This M7 section is too far to drive up to past Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Deedsie wrote: »
    I was wondering, would anyone hazard a guess how long it will take to drive Portlaoise to Limerick when the entire section is done

I would guess 1 hour exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    I would guess 1 hour exactly

I done it in 1hr on Sunday night so it'll be under that. I would expect 1hr on a normal evening commute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

Furet wrote: »
    Second: Progress seems ludicrously slow.

i wonder are they taking workers off this road and sending them over to the bog to get that done quicker??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I've just posted in the other M7 thread about this but I've heard that the Borris to Nenagh part will open in about a month and the bog part in 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

i wonder are they taking workers off this road and sending them over to the bog to get that done quicker??

I wouldnt think so because they are different contractors. This week and next week are builders holidays.

SARASON wrote: »
    I wouldnt think so because they are different contractors. This week and next week are builders holidays.

So are these projects put on hold for the next two weeks? That's a shame, suppose the workers are entitled to a break too. Just want to see these two roads finished and open as soon as possible.

A lot of the median on the Castletown to Nenagh road seems to be finished. When looking from the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

the tie in of the Nenagh by pass at the Dublin end is progressing. I doubt there will be any work done on the existing overbridge to change it form an arch to a box shape because it would have to be almost done by now. I would see that tie in done fairly fast, they were uprooting the existing tarmac as far as the bridge and the slip roads will not take long either.

they are starting to divert traffic and tie in the new junction at Roscrea, the Moneygall Junction seems all but finished, the overbridge at Ballingarry (to the landfill at Toomevara) is open but not finished, I would say the same for the one at Knock. The works at the Templemore-Dunkerrin Road are finished.

From my experience of when they opened up the Junction on the M8 for Rathdowney I cant see these tie ins taking much time at all. Some poles are up already for signage at the junctions as well. No way will it be done in a month at the rate they are going, but the rate they are going seems to be very very slow for no apparent reason.

maybe they have to open the whole thing at once and therefore have to wait for the bog sections????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Perhaps they are waiting for a few dry days to push on with certain items ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I don't believe this scheme crosses any _serious_ bogs but could I point out that you could easily go from one end to the other during the builders holiday if you only had a camera and a mountain bike handy :)

I have heard that there is an issue with an aquifer that dried up because we had a serious drought ( Dec - June) and that the constructors are ironically praying for rain to replenish the aquifer and resolve this 'issue'.

It will open this year, some time in the autumn I should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Will the really stop working on vital infrastructure works in August for builders holidays? Surely they all can't stop at once.

Will the really stop working on vital infrastructure works in August for builders holidays? Surely they all can't stop at once.

I really hope not, but I haven't heard any reports to the contrary. Looks like they are going to break for two weeks. They could get through some amount of work in that time too. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

No way will it be done in a month at the rate they are going, but the rate they are going seems to be very very slow for no apparent reason.

Turkeys and Christmas!

What possible incentive could there be in finishing asap. . . . . .when the likelyhood is that once they finish they will be on the Dole? Even from site mangement's viewpoint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Deedsie wrote: »
    I really hope not, but I haven't heard any reports to the contrary. Looks like they are going to break for two weeks. They could get through some amount of work in that time too. Shame.

You haven't "heard any reports to the contrary"? Which reports might I ask you said that they were stopping work for the 'builders holidays'?

BTW in case any of you are interested the 'builders holidays' started on the 18th of July.

You haven't "heard any reports to the contrary"? Which reports might I ask you said that they were stopping work for the 'builders holidays'?

BTW in case any of you are interested the 'builders holidays' started on the 18th of July.

It's a figure of speech, no one has posted either way if they are or are not on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

thats next years holiday schedule innit ?... I think if this section of the M7 was open for the October bank holiday most would be happy - the plan was for it to be finished by the end of 2010 - so compared to the bog section its waaaay ahead !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

All as I know is my girlfriend works for the company that supplies the chemicals to harden the concrete (and set the tar I think) and they deliver tonnes of the stuff every week and they have no orders for the next 2 weeks because of the holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I drove Limerick Dublin yesterday evening. The state of the tie-in at the northern end of the Nenagh bypass bit [ double roundabout and 180 turn ] , plus the state of the works just after would lead me to believe there is a lot more than 30 days in this - 3 months would be my guess - but the other bits seem to be racing along that I can see, at Borris and the the other spots you get to see it.

Is it off topic to say that I think paying the toll at the M8 and then driving the M7 bit leaves me feeling a bit short-changed, i.e. you don't seem to get a lot of road for your money ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement