Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land boundry question

• 17-04-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭

Sorry if i'm in the wrong forum but Just wondering can someone tell me where i can I get an exact copy of the outline of the land on our property. Do we have to go to a place in waterford or dublin or is there another way

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You need a Land registry map. The headquarters is in Chancery St. in Dublin but if you contact your local office which most times would be located at the circuit court offices they will arrange to get you one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Thanks for info. Any idea how long it would take to get

I think you can get them in around 3 or 4 days. Your solicitor could also secure a map - they use an online facility and can have it posted from the Land Registry office the same day as the order is placed.

If you are in Dublin you could pop into them with your Folio Number and again they would probably post the following day. There can be delays at times with staff shortage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Schooby

depends if your land is registered with the land registry, could be on deeds and be in the registry of deeds or could be on deeds and not registered, if you have a mortgage the mortgage company will have a copy regardless you can get a copy from them, you and or your solicitor may have to give an undertaking that you will not do anything bold like sell the property again with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

A quick question on that very topic.
    I've an ongoing dispute with a new neighbour who claims that his land boundary is several feet into my property, and I've pulled the folio maps to check it. The line on the map is not very exact - a thin line on the map can represent a tract 15 ft wide on the land.
    I've heard that there's a way of finding out exactly where the properties are divided - can anyone advise which body or organisation (Ordnance Survey or someone else??) I need to go to, and likely costs of getting them involved?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lanod2407 wrote: »
    A quick question on that very topic.
    I've an ongoing dispute with a new neighbour who claims that his land boundary is several feet into my property, and I've pulled the folio maps to check it. The line on the map is not very exact - a thin line on the map can represent a tract 15 ft wide on the land.
    I've heard that there's a way of finding out exactly where the properties are divided - can anyone advise which body or organisation (Ordnance Survey or someone else??) I need to go to, and likely costs of getting them involved?

I do not think that is the case. The land registry maps are the most significant item to show land ownership..... over years these maps may show up problems, and thats when solicitors get involved.

a tickness of 1mm on a land registry map equates to a thickness of 2.5 m (over 8 ft) on land... its impossible to tell exactly where a boundary is if its not clearly designated on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

land registry advise that reg maps DO NOT define boundaries . don't have the exact wording to hand now - it is an area where solicitors often have to be engaged to resolve disputes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

sinnerboy wrote: »
    land registry advise that reg maps DO NOT define boundaries . don't have the exact wording to hand now - it is an area where solicitors often have to be engaged to resolve disputes

does this mean that there is no where i can get a map of our house/site with definate borders without going thru a solicitor. the farmer next door is disputing that he owns the wall and we only own the face of the wall that faces our property so going to a solicitor seems an expensive way to to find out either way who owns the wall??

deemy wrote: »
    does this mean that there is no where i can get a map of our house/site with definate borders without going thru a solicitor. the farmer next door is disputing that he owns the wall and we only own the face of the wall that faces our property so going to a solicitor seems an expensive way to to find out either way who owns the wall??
    Unless the wall is 1 metre + in thickness it will not be possible to determine the boundary from a map. You will need to contact a solicitor to see if there is anything in writing in the deeds.

As this is now going down the legal route and we dont dare touch such things here I will lock this as the OP's question has been answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement